Jaguar XE Forum banner

XE RSportD180 Wheel refurbishment

3K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Ian0304 
#1 ·
Hi all, my diamond cut alloys are in need of refurbishment and just wondered has anyone on here had theirs done differently to how the originals are?
The alloy wheel refurbishment company has recommended that I should have them done in Anthrecite Grey as the car is Rhodium Silver,so they won't look like diamond cut wheels anymore, Anyone have any thoughts, or should I have them done as per the originals?
Regards
foxy66

#2 ·
Tomorrow I am picking my car up from the detailer, including a full wheel refurb!
To restore to diamond cut was costing 180 quid per wheel!
So I'm getting my 19" venoms just fully powder coated, I've asked them to match the colour of the side vents if they can, so I will post pictures tomorrow. Ideally I would have had them restored to the two-tone colour they were (grey inner) but it would have cost almost as much as diamond cut.

I have had several sets of diamond cut wheels restored with powder coating without diamond cut, over the years, and they've all been excellent.
It's all about getting the colour right really.

EDIT PS I've always liked a gunmetal grey colour alloy on silver cars, extra nice if you can get a satin finish.

#3 ·
I'd keep them original personally as I feel they are the most effective. I had my diamond cut alloys refurbished at £90 a wheel and they did a great job. Demon Wheels in Preston. Unfortunately the wife has curbed one again and I regret getting a joint car insurance policy with her now!

#4 ·
Unfortunately no matter how careful you are diamond cut wheels will always fail. The alloy is too smooth for the laquer to stick to and so you get water underneath. I had my propellers refinished in anthracite and to be honest although I like the look of diamond cut these look just as good.

#5 ·
You got a pic of the anthracite wheels on the car? I see a few of the standard star alloys now painted black but I still prefer standard diamond cut. Agree in that powder coated are easier to maintain and repair.

#6 ·
Hi haven't had the wheels done yet, as still unsure of how they would look in Anthrecite grey, being the 5 spoke alloys, the price seems ok at £300 inc vat for all four wheels but I think they might look better in silver. Any thoughts
foxy66

#7 ·
So, the car I've specced up and want to buy later in the year has 19" diamond cut wheels as standard. The 'spokes' are flush with the rim. That scares me a bit.
But from what you've been saying and I've read elsewhere I should probably change them for 'normal' silver painted wheels instead?
Would that be sensible?

#8 ·
As Iirxes says lacquer on diamond cut wheels always fails resulting in heavy corrosion especially in areas where there is a lot of salt on the road as in Scotland. Though I live in the sunny south I am Scottish and travel back regularly and can say that every set of diamond cut alloys I have had have always ended up painted when refurbished.
I have silver star alloys on my Jaguar.
Andy

#11 ·
Nice job those, love the venoms but have to say much prefer them standard diamond cut over any other finish or colour including black. I've been looking for a full set for months they are rarely available. Each to their own though.

#12 ·
Ian try user terrcarte0 on ebay. He usually has them. I got my star alloys there.
Andy

#13 ·
Yes I keep an eye on his stuff he recently had a set but with winter tyres so the search continues. Thanks for the heads up &#x1f44d-1f3fb;

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.