Jaguar XE Forum banner

Rear disc corrosion

6K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  RoJo 
#1 ·
Hi all

I've read a few topics on this forum and thanks to the information found have contacted Jaguar Extended Warranty and Jaguar CRC (via email).

I've bought a 65 plate Jaguar XE in March and had an extended warranty transferred over.

I've had the car in for a few things and the Solihull dealership have had auth to change a speaker and a timing chain under warranty. I've been told that the oil and oil filter won't be covered after the chain and I'll be invoiced £120 for that.

Separately my rear discs and pads are being changed for approx £380 as the pads were 1mm and discs corroded and in bad shape. I haven't had the chance yet to ask what could have caused that. I spoke with the,warranty company who said unless it was a caliper sieze they won't cover it as corrosion isn't covered.

My worry is the discs are in this sort of shape after 14,000 miles and approx 11 months from being sold at a dealer. Total mileage is 57,194.

I've agreed to pay with the dealer as it's something that has to get done but my worry is do I expect this in another 11 months again . I've attached some bad screenshots from the health check video.

Also apologies on the long walls of text.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Mine are similar and I assured that it is not detrimental to the braking. It pulls up well on the MOT brake test machine with very high efficiency. Personally I think the pads are too small. Regarding your warranty, I think that they will not be covered as they are a wear and tear item. The warranties tend to exclude consumables such as oil and filters and diagnostics. Basically they are insurance policies with get out clauses that appear in the jargon. Typical of the insurance industry.

#5 ·
Mortuus said:
Absolutely I would agree my only concern was that 11 months ago this was sitting as an approved used car. I guess it must have passed whatever minimum requirements were.
Yes, I'm afraid that Dealerships impose much less stringent condition tests on things like brake discs when they are selling you a car, than when you own it and are paying for service to be done!
I'll bet that your rear brake discs didn't look much different when you bought the car than they do now. I agree with other posters that the amount of rust and wear on the discs is pretty typical for cars at the 57,000 mile mark in the UK's wet climate and with the amount of salt put on the roads in Winter.
One good thing about modern open spoke alloy wheels is that you can fairly easily see the brake discs so can keep an eye on them yourself. With the old steel wheels and plastic wheel trims this was all but impossible without removing a wheel.

#6 ·
I'm in the middle of a test period with regard to my discs, which show signs of the usual issues. I replaced the front pads a month ago and they've cleaned the discs to 95% so far. On sunday I replaced the rear pads and I'll see how much they clean up. Both sets of pads were Apec equivalents, and I've already noticed that the discs don't seem to get as rusty as per previous when not in use.

The discs themselves seemed to have hardly any wear, just the usual pitting and scoring that Jag discs develop.

After a month, I'll change both sets of pads again and post a new thread giving my conclusions with before/after pics.

#8 ·
As already mentioned. It looks like the pads are too small or not fitting correctly. The disc should be shiny almost up to the edge. In that photo it looks like only about half the disc is in contact with the pad.

#9 ·
Either the pads are indeed too small and leave the edge of the disc untouched so it rusts, or the edge of the disc starts to rust and the rougher surface of the rust wears away the edge of the pad so it then contacts the disc less, which then rusts some more - and so on.
In my experience the latter happens with all discs eventually, but the Jag discs do seem to be much more prone to corrosion early in their life than discs I've had on other cars.

#10 ·
New pads are working a treat, polishing and tidying my fr/rr discs. Got a 1400 odd mile road trip coming up in couple of weeks so I'll update after that.

#11 ·
As mentioned, my current Jaguar ones see to be lasting better than OEM BMW ones. On the BMW, I changed the lot, discs/pads, front/back at 3 years and 48k miles. By this time they looked (cosmetically) shot and they were vibrating when braking. After maybe a year or so, the new ones went very much the same way as the previous set and this was one of the reasons why I changed the car.

#12 ·
My 20 year old merc is still on its original rear discs at 88000 miles. I have just serviced them and discs were hardly worn only showing some minor pitting. The new pads (Mintex) have cleaned them up to a pristine surface.
I think the Jaguar discs are just not suitable for this country with the rain and salt etc. My rears changed at 17000 miles and one front one showing some edge corrosion. I think the lack of use during lockdown has made it worse.
I will fit non OEM discs when change is required but keep the Jaguar pads to minimise the brake dust.
Andy

#13 ·
I'm leaning towards the hypothesis that the issue lies with the makeup of the pads. If the pad material is more brittle than normal pads, then a normal wear issue such as a ridge at the edge of a disc, might remove more pad material than "necessary" and so propagate the sort of edge in corrosion we typically see.

#14 ·
I believe the problem is with the distribution of clamping force by the caliper - on light application they seem to pinch from one edge and don't start aggressively cleaning the disc over the full width until they are leant on with gusto.

The brake size is pretty well specified for the mass of the car and during comfortable Jaguar driving I just don't think they are seeing hard enough use - worse on the rears where less braking force is required and therefore applied. You might be surprised how effective the occasional "Italian Tune-up" can be at keeping them in shape :)

#15 ·
Part of the car's working is for the rears to apply slightly with the way the car is driven. The brakes on the XE are excellent and the discs are sourced from BREMBO. The pads are hard but suitable for general use and do not need heating up to get top performance. You will notice the lack of dust compared with other cars as the braking material is different.

#16 ·
On my prev jag, xf, i was on ebc discs and ebc red stuff pads. No rust issues, ever.

Will see how xe current ones hold, plenty of life in them, so will see...

#17 ·
I tend to agree with Rojo with Reference to the pads and if his experiment proves conclusive maybe we just need to change pads and live with the increased amount of brake dust. I did clean the rust from the front disc with a flap wheel quite easily but i has returned indicating that the pad edge has been worn down by the rust and is not flush with the disc. I am using my car more often at the moment so will monitor the edge.
Andy

#18 ·
All I can say is I'm very pleased with the visible improvement so far. Maybe I'd have got the same improvement with OEM pads but at around 1/3 the cost these Apec pads are certainly resurfacing the discs.

Front disc before;

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive design

And now;

Automotive tire Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Tread

I'll post up the rears after some more miles.

Attachments

#19 ·
That is a marked improvement. The Jag discs don't seem as bright as others. All my other cars have had very bright surfaces on them. Thats the reason I questioned the steel used.
Andy

#20 ·
Took it for a spin earlier and did some high speed braking (where safe to do so, in a NSL area) so new pics after that;

Front

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Light

Rear

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire

Rear before new pads

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Hood Alloy wheel

Attachments

#22 ·
My previous Xe's discs were terrible! At the first service the dealer even had the cheek to say they might need looking at, at the next service!

I bought a set of discs and pads intending to fit them but my current Xe popped up on my radar so I part ex'd one for the other. I gave the brakes to the dealer because I got such a bargain :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.