Jaguar XE Forum banner

Annual leave project

3K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Sparkplug 
#1 ·
Ok, I have booked some days away from NHS workplace and because don't go anywhere this year I will spent some time working on my cat. First will be brakes. Brake pads are still half way, brake disks are little rusted so I spend some money on new set of brake disks and pads.
Brake Disc ZIMMERMANN COAT Z - 316mm front, 300mm rear
Brake Pad Set BREMBO
Second job will be respraying my alloy wheels. Clear lacquer peeling all over the place, few small kerb damage etc.
What you think about my little project? :D :D :D

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Sparkplug said:
Take your time and use brush on paint and you will be fine. I used foliatec Rosso red and replaced my discs with mtec and brembo pads.
How did you approach putting EPB in service mode? I have read different methods, I know official one but that one state that ignition must stay on during all process, other way an error code will be loged. I have a diaglink scanner with software for Jaguar, didn't try yet to see if work on this car. My ignition turn off automatically after 10 min and I'm worried that when switch off will reactivate EPB while I'm working on brakes.

#6 ·
Dragos said:
Sparkplug said:
Take your time and use brush on paint and you will be fine. I used foliatec Rosso red and replaced my discs with mtec and brembo pads.
How did you approach putting EPB in service mode? I have read different methods, I know official one but that one state that ignition must stay on during all process, other way an error code will be loged. I have a diaglink scanner with software for Jaguar, didn't try yet to see if work on this car. My ignition turn off automatically after 10 min and I'm worried that when switch off will reactivate EPB while I'm working on brakes.
Still have the Rears to do. I tried putting the EPB into maintenance mode and it worked. I think it will stay in this mode until it is reset by reversing the process. I'll post an update when I get them done. Hopefully this evening.
This is the process I used
https://www.xeforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=6363

#7 ·
Still have the Rears to do. I tried putting the EPB into maintenance mode and it worked. I think it will stay in this mode until it is reset by reversing the process. I'll post an update when I get them done. Hopefully this evening.
[/quote]

Let me know how goes on, I have just ordered mine yesterday from online carparts, delivery from Germany, hope will have them by the end of the week. Didn't bothered with drilled disks, initially wanted to fit brembo disks and pads but I saw this Zimmermann disks what was cheaper than brembo and have good reviews so I bought them. Hope will be a good combination between disks and pads. Will see.

#8 ·
Dragos said:
...I know official one but that one state that ignition must stay on during all process, other way an error code will be loged. I have a diaglink scanner with software for Jaguar, didn't try yet to see if work on this car. My ignition turn off automatically after 10 min and I'm worried that when switch off will reactivate EPB while I'm working on brakes.
People seem to get confused by this quite a bit - the sentence in the service manual actually reads "Make sure that the ignition remains ON until the operation is fully completed, otherwise U3000 48 diagnostic trouble code (DTC) will be logged"

By "until the operation is fully completed" it means until the car has finished retracting the brakes and displayed the maintenance mode message on the screen. It doesn't mean until you have finished working on the brakes :)

#9 ·
Phil said:
Dragos said:
...I know official one but that one state that ignition must stay on during all process, other way an error code will be loged. I have a diaglink scanner with software for Jaguar, didn't try yet to see if work on this car. My ignition turn off automatically after 10 min and I'm worried that when switch off will reactivate EPB while I'm working on brakes.
People seem to get confused by this quite a bit - the sentence in the service manual actually reads "Make sure that the ignition remains ON until the operation is fully completed, otherwise U3000 48 diagnostic trouble code (DTC) will be logged"

By "until the operation is fully completed" it means until the car has finished retracting the brakes and displayed the maintenance mode message on the screen. It doesn't mean until you have finished working on the brakes :)
Phil :D :D :D :D :D Thank you for enlightening me, don't know why I didn't understood this. Was concerned about finishing to replace both sides in under 10 min :D :D :D :D Thanks

#10 ·
Dragos said:
Let me know how goes on, I have just ordered mine yesterday from online carparts, delivery from Germany, hope will have them by the end of the week. Didn't bothered with drilled disks, initially wanted to fit brembo disks and pads but I saw this Zimmermann disks what was cheaper than brembo and have good reviews so I bought them. Hope will be a good combination between disks and pads. Will see.
[/quote]

That's the rear discs and pads changed. TBH it took me nearly as long to get the EPB into maintenance mode as to change the discs.
Not sure what I was doing wrong but it took a lot of attempts. Once in maintenance mode it stayed like that until i put it out of it again and it was a straight forward job. Wheel Tire Automotive tire Locking hubs Vehicle brake

Attachments

#11 ·
Sparkplug said:
Dragos said:
That's the rear discs and pads changed. TBH it took me nearly as long to get the EPB into maintenance mode as to change the discs.
Not sure what I was doing wrong but it took a lot of attempts. Once in maintenance mode it stayed like that until i put it out of it again and it was a straight forward job. IMG_20210707_153848.jpg
[/quote]

Look great. I ordered everything for brake job, paint for caliper and paint for wheels. Wait to come everything and will do my one. Seeing yours I almost regret I didn't go for drilled disks.

#12 ·
Drilled or grooved discs can create a fair bit of noise and also more dust so I personally would stick to plain discs. They do look better though!

#13 ·
147daytona said:
Drilled or grooved discs can create a fair bit of noise and also more dust so I personally would stick to plain discs. They do look better though!
Unless you're belting round a track and making the brakes glow, the only advantage drilled and/or grooved discs offer is appearance

#14 ·
147daytona said:
Yes, I ordered plain one. coated, hope will not rust as bas as one what are fitted on the car now. Was tempted for drilled just for sporty appearance.

#15 ·
Indianajons said:
147daytona said:
Unless you're belting round a track and making the brakes glow, the only advantage drilled and/or grooved discs offer is appearance
Totally agree. The ones I fitted are dimpled and grooved, not drilled. Hopefully the coating will hold off the rust.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.