Jaguar XE Forum banner

Tyres

4K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  First Jag-g-g 
#1 ·
My XE just had first MOT. 17k miles and front tyres cracking badly although plenty 6mm of tread. So seems Michelin 4s will meet my needs very soft excellent grip wont be doing many miles so wear not a factor. Rather have grip. Local tyre center £840 fitted , Black Circles £680 hats a hell of a difference. Same product surprised me! Just a heads up

#2 ·
Michelin often have an offer which gives 100 quid cashback with two or more 19" tyres.
Managed to get 4 pilot sport 4s' for £600 because of that. They were otherwise £700 from Black Circles so £680 seems good imo.

#3 ·
I think from your previous posts that your car is 2019, in which case having the tyres crack is pretty poor. Where do you park it... garage, outside, full sunshine...? My Pirelli tyres are over 5 years old and the car has done less than 13k miles. No sign of cracks so far.

#4 ·
If the original tyres were Dunlops then they are notorius for cracks appearing in the sidewalls early in their tread life

#5 ·
chrisjp said:
If the original tyres were Dunlops then they are notorius for cracks appearing in the sidewalls early in their tread life
Mine were the same on my May 2017 XE, being Dunlop SPortMax. Fronts eventually failed MOT, but mileage was 32k so not bad really ! Rears also have cracking but will last another year according to the MOT man in the Jaguar dealer I use. Maybe because the Dunlops are a Jaguar OE fitment that they are tolerated more for cracks than other places. I remember having the same thing on a 2003 XJ6, but not as bad, and again the tyres lasted very well. Not sure what make they were, as it's too long ago.

#6 ·
MSP said:
Michelin often have an offer which gives 100 quid cashback with two or more 19" tyres.
Managed to get 4 pilot sport 4s' for £600 because of that. They were otherwise £700 from Black Circles so £680 seems good imo.
I had to unexpectedly buy a set of four new 19-inch rim non-runflat tyres for my MY19 R-Sport and wanted All Seasons. Due to COVID, Pirelli OEM tyres were not available in my XE sizes in the USA back in May (nor was I a fan of such a repeat Pirelli purchase).

Unfortunately, the all new Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 tyre had not yet been released so effectively my only All Season High Performance traditional tyre option was the Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 Plus which I bought (see my other recent XE Forum Tyre Post).

As a new updated compound formation for the tried and true ExtremeContact DWS06s, these tyres handle great under both dry and wet road conditions. With that said, I am having some issues in the form of too much tyre-generated road noise. At about the 45 day 1,500 mile mark, I am currently invoking my Continental 60-day Customer Satisfaction option and getting these first set of ExtremeContact DWS06 Plus tyres replaced this weekend with another new set of the same (the old compound DWS06s are now out of production and out of stock, otherwise I would have gone with them). I am hoping that my original DWS06 Plus tyres purchased back in May had this tyre road noise problem because they were literally from the first production run of this updated compound. Since the swapout for another set of 4 DWS06 Plus tyres is free, I am hoping these new DWS06 Plus tyres are from a later production run where the manufacturing process has been refined/improved which, in turn, will eliminate the road noise. If it is not, I will be very unhappy since I only get one free replacement and Continental will not provide a cash refund :-(

Michelin tyres have always been great. Thus, I recommend checking out the newly released (as in two weeks ago) Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4s (https://www.michelinman.com/auto/family-category/pilot-sport#sas4) if you are going the All Season approach versus the more expensive but better performing two tyre set Summer/Winter route.

If you live where you'll only need/use a Summer tire, I agree with MSP that the Michelin Pilot Sport 4s (https://www.michelinman.com/auto/family-category/pilot-sport#sport4s) is the way to go.

#7 ·
Tyre wall cracking is caused by age, sunlight and work hardening of the rubber compound. My car had a new set of Pirellis almost 3 years back. The others were damaged or punctured too near the sidewall. The old ones showed slight cracking with 6mm tread on them. The new ones are now around the same age with no cracking. I use Meguiars tyre gel on them about 2 or 3 times a year when doing a bullshine. I just wonder if this puts or replaces any "nutrients" back into the rubber?
Very coincidental that this set are still perfect.
Regarding new tyres, have a good look around for the best prices as some of the big players have massive discounts on a certain brand on a monthly basis. Nat Tyres are at present doing dfeals on Pirellis (or where last weekend) Go through Tyreshopper to get their best price. (same company but sometimes up to 20% cheaper and fitted by local depot of Nat Tyres)

#8 ·
I am not a member, but Costco quite often have some good deals on tyres. Probably cheap enough to justify the joining fee.

I have good prices from the driveway-type fitters in the past, but the larger depot-type people, like ATS and Kwik Fit will often price match and will do the work the same day. As such, I have tended to go with them for the last few fittings.

#11 ·
First Jag-g-g said:
As a new updated compound formation for the tried and true ExtremeContact DWS06s, these tyres handle great under both dry and wet road conditions. With that said, I am having some issues in the form of too much tyre-generated road noise. At about the 45 day 1,500 mile mark, I am currently invoking my Continental 60-day Customer Satisfaction option and getting these first set of ExtremeContact DWS06 Plus tyres ...
I am swapping out my Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 Plus tyres on Saturday under the aforementioned 60-day Customer Satisfaction option for another set of exactly the same tyre type (since there are no other realistic All-Season Continental choices for my XE) in hopes that that road noise gets reduced with a newer production run set of tyres. I'll let everyone know how I make out afterwards.

#12 ·
All the reviews of all season tyres that I've read indicate that they do get noisier with use. I guess this is due to the sipes opening up with load and wear. Having said that, I have Nokian Weatherproofs and as yet they don't seem any noisier than the original Dunlops.

#13 ·
First Jag-g-g said:
I am swapping out my Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 Plus tyres on Saturday under the aforementioned 60-day Customer Satisfaction option for another set of exactly the same tyre type (since there are no other realistic All-Season Continental choices for my XE) in hopes that that road noise gets reduced with a newer production run set of tyres. I'll let everyone know how I make out afterwards.
Well, the swap out went smoothly with three days to spare in my 60 day Customer Satisfaction period (whew!).

The production run dates on my new set of four Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 Plus tyres are more recent than the prior noisy set that were manufactured during the height of the pandemic.

I've only driven my new tyres about 100 miles but they are way-y-y more quiet than the previous set. Maybe the prior set wasn't properly made/cured? Whatever the case, these new tyres ride and sound (or should I say the lack of sound) like I originally expected of these Ultra Performance Continental All-Season tyres.

If anything changes a few months from now after I get a few thousand miles on them, I'll be sure to update this post. Otherwise, assume these Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 Plus tyres are good tyres to buy and I just got a bad pandemic-influenced batch that Continental Corporate made good on.

#14 ·
Swapping out the original Dunlops for Goodyear Asymmetric 5's on Thursday, Dunlops have done 30k miles and still have 4.5mm tread, but they are cracking & were manufactured in 2016 so getting on a bit.

They are staggered 19" wheels so 2 x 255/35R19 and 2 x 225/40R19 - with Kwik-Fit I paid £491 (got £77 discount with the Honey app) and also a free night in a hotel worth around £150 for the area we are looking at. They are also fitting the tyres at my house for no extra cost, so not a bad deal at all and the Goodyears have really good reviews.

#15 ·
bobmedley said:
Swapping out the original Dunlops for Goodyear Asymmetric 5's on Thursday, Dunlops have done 30k miles and still have 4.5mm tread, but they are cracking & were manufactured in 2016 so getting on a bit.

They are staggered 19" wheels so 2 x 255/35R19 and 2 x 225/40R19 - with Kwik-Fit I paid £491 (got £77 discount with the Honey app) and also a free night in a hotel worth around £150 for the area we are looking at. They are also fitting the tyres at my house for no extra cost, so not a bad deal at all and the Goodyears have really good reviews.
I'll be interested to see how you get on with the Goodyears Bob. Had them on other cars and always found they were excellent for roadholding, low noise and wear.

#16 ·
As some of you may have read in my postings across multiple tyre related discussion threads, earlier this year I had to prematurely swap out all four original factory supplied tyres after hitting an unavoidable nasty pot hole that caused side bulges in both the front and back passenger side tyres as well as damaging my front passenger 19-inch rim. Fortunately the Dealer was able to reshape my rim back to circular true to save me the expense of buying a totally new rim and with my set of four new Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 Plus tyres, all was good in the world of my First Jag-g-g.

Fast forward, five months and 5,000 miles ... I am driving this week along a well traveled motorway entrance ramp that had literally unexpectedly just been mostly repaved the night before with fresh asphalt by the State Department of Transportation (who is not known for their excellent in road repairs). Unfortunately for me, I have a large truck tail-gating me as I spy a fresh pot hole in the underlayment road surface that had yet to paved (it seems the State DOT crew knocked off work early and didn't finish the job all in one evening) and a large chunk of concrete that was mostly in the roadway (maybe a truck had previously hit it while getting on to the motorway and flipped it to a position even more in the middle of the road?).

Real time decisions - brake hard and risk becoming an accordion from the truck behind me, avoid the concrete debris and hit the pot hole, hit the concrete and avoid the pot hole, or something in between?

I decided the latter. I was able to reduce speed while not getting crunched by the trucker behind me (although a large air horn sounded early in the morning), heard a slight Whumpf hit to my front passenger tyre where I just "kissed" a portion of the road obstacles I was trying to avoid, and thought to myself not too bad. A mile down the road I heard a slight vibration from the front passenger side of my XE and my dash tyre pressure warning light comes on. Urgh!

I pull over to the side of the road and the tyre is rapidly deflating with a sidewall gash. While the rim looked OK, I couldn't be sure. An hour later, I am at my JLR Dealer on my mini-spare to have him look at things knowing the tyre definitely needs replacing. A short while later, I get my mixed diagnosis. Yup, the tyre needs to be replaced but since I am under the limit for Continental's 12 month / 12,000 mile Road Hazard Warranty, the tyre replacement is free. My 19-inch rim is another story (which is the one that was previously damaged and reshaped to again be circularly true). Unfortunately it is out of shape again since the road hazard impact was literally exactly on the same 3-inch circumference spot as the last pot hole hit. What are the odds of that happening? Double Urgh! With the rim metal weakened twice, I have to get a new 19-inch rim.

Fortunately, my 19-inch black rim is available at the main JLR USA warehouse and can be shipped in a day. The Continental exact replacement tyre will take three days to arrive so I am temporarily in a 2021 LR Disco loaner.

I should have my XE back by next Tuesday which is fortunate since my wife is eyeing the Disco with envy given her Jeep Wrangler Unlimited is approaching 7 years old with 140,000 miles on it :)

#17 ·
>it seems the State DOT crew knocked off work early and didn't finish the job all in one evening

Well, I drove over the same stretch of roadway today and now the entire area is completely paved with new baby-smooth asphalt with no debris or potholes in sight. Why couldn't I have tele-worked instead of driving into work last week when I trashed my rim and tyre? lol

My dealer has the replacement rim in hand and my tyre should arrive to tomorrow so I can get my XE back. Keeping my fingers crossed.

#18 ·
First Jag-g-g said:
My dealer has the replacement rim in hand and my tyre should arrive to tomorrow so I can get my XE back. Keeping my fingers crossed.
New tyre, new rim, no damage to the suspension, the alignment is still perfect, and my XE is back in my garage at the end of the day. Total cost? Just over US$1,200. but hopefully I'll get the price of the tyre back once Continental refunds my JLR Dealer the cost of the tyre under their Road Hazard Warranty who will, in turn, subsequently issue a check to me.

While I liked my LR Disco loaner, there's nothing like a Jag-g-g sport saloon B-)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.