Jaguar XE Forum banner

I've been noticing something for a while now. (no brake dust)

3K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  bik3rz 
#1 ·
I've been noticing something for a while now.
The XE does not suffer from brake dust at all. I also notice that the discs are very dark in color.
so there raised a few questions in my head.

-Has anybody an explanation for this appearance ? When I use the cleaner which normally turn red when in contact with brake dust you don't see any colouring on mine. Other material?
-Why aren't other manufacturers using this kind of (pads or brake discs)?
-Are there any downsides?
-How can u get them again in the future? Are these standard oem fitted by the dealer?

I really like them so far(25000km)

#3 ·
It's always been noted that the OEM pads produce negligible dust.
The bonus is you don't have to use those aggressive wheel cleaning products .
I used to wash my wheels with the same stuff/shampoo as I use for the body of the car and they always came up great.
Sealed them with the Poorboys wheel sealant and job done.

#4 ·
Maybe counterintuitively, ceramic pads are a lot softer so don't tend to clean the corrosion off discs as well as harder non-ceramic pads - as you may read in other threads this leads to a lot of grumbling.

I regularly (when safe to do so) brake from 60-0 a number of times and so far this has kept my discs free from corrosion - passengers tend to moan though :)

#6 ·
My rear disks were looking really badly glazed and corroded whilst not that badly worn by the time the original pads needed replacement.
As an experiment I replaced the pads with some conventional ones and the disks are now looking much more healthy but, of course, I get brake dust too,

#7 ·
Yep, my discs were starting to look a bit sad, but I've thrown on a set of conventional pads and the fronts are now looking great and the rears are getting there. I'll stick another set of pads on the rear in a month and see how that goes.

I'll live with the dust for a while and then make a decision as to switching back to dustless pads.

#8 ·
can recommend ebs red stuff pads - no dust, and discs mirror shine like. on them for years, can stand dust from oems now...well, the ones are currently on (ate)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.