Jaguar XE Forum banner

Rear tyre choice to avoid kerbing

2K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  Wolfie1 
#1 ·
I recently bought a 65 plate XE 180 D R Sport with 19 inch piano-black Venoms. Now, I live in Northamptonshire and, as anyone from that county will tell you, since well before the local council went bankrupt a couple of years ago very little has been spent on the roads. As a result I've had a few kerbing incidents (to be fair, not all down to potholes) on the rear wheels. Looking at the way the 255/35s fit on the rims it appears that a wider tyre would be feasible and put a bit more rubber between obstacles and the rims. At some point I will replace the existing tyres and have the rims refurbed at the same time and was wondering if anyone had fitted 265/35s. I've checked with the tyre size comparison websites and feel that the 8mm increase in diameter and minimal speedo error (under-registering by around 1%) look acceptable for the extra rubber-width that may (just may) save my newly refurbed wheels. I'm unsure if the additional 1cm width across the tread would cause a problem by snagging on the inside of the tyre, and would appreciate any advice. Currently I'm running on Dunlop Sport Max which has a rubbing strip to minimise kerbing, but if anyone has experience of other manufacturers with a better product I'd appreciate your advice. Oh, by the way, I drive quite sedately and don't do track-days anymore so issues of handling on the limit are less important than savings my lovely wheels.

#2 ·
An alternative would be to go to 18in wheels and 45 aspect ratio tyres, especially if you do indeed drive quite sedately so you don't really need the stiffness and thus handling qualities of 35 aspect ratio tyres. The 45 aspect ratio puts the wheel rim higher up from the road so that it misses contact with a lot of kerbs.
I appreciate that 45 aspect ratio tyres and wheels don't look quite as good as 35 aspect ratio ones, but it's close.

#3 ·
I assume that you have a rear camera? If you line up the kerb with the dotted lines on screen you will miss the kerb by about 2"-3" and avoid contact. It works every time for be with no kerbing in 6 years. You are also within the law regarding the long forgotten "no more than 6" from the kerb" law on parking.

#4 ·
Michelin sport 4s are the tyres to go for.
I have them and they are excellent. Do a search on here for them as there is a lot already written about them.
Andy

#5 ·
I've been paranoid since my wheels were powder coated a few months ago...only trouble is people are getting really hacked off with me parking in the middle of the road! :lol: Still very happy with my Rainsport 5s - and they are a bit cheaper than PS4s.

#6 ·
Like yourself, I find it rather too easy to kerb the wheels with the 19" and Dunlop Sport Max original fitments. Earlier this year, it failed MOT on the front tyres due to edge cracking so I had a pair of Pirelli P-Zeros fitted, which have a very big anti-kerb moulding near the rim, so I shall probably put a pair of the same on the rears when they wear out. Incidentally, I have got quite good wear out of the Dunlops, as the fronts lasted over 31k miles, and the rears are still good for several thousand more at the time of writing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.