Jaguar XE Forum banner

Brake size

7K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  Dragos 
#1 ·
Hi, got 2.0d awd , time to replace all pads and rotors, but there is a problem. Catalogs and vin search give different results, vin goes for 316 front, catalogs for 325. How is the best way to check what really fits?
Really don't want to take wheels of just for measuring.

#3 ·
Another way is disc thickness. 316 should be 28mm -2, 325 should be 30mm -2 and 350's are 32mm -2. It should be possible though to get an accurate disc diameter by measuring across the wheel facing, certainly good enough to identify which disc you have.

That retaining spring and caliper looks like my 350mm brakes :)

#4 ·
RoJo said:
Another way is disc thickness. 316 should be 28mm -2, 325 should be 30mm -2 and 350's are 32mm -2. It should be possible though to get an accurate disc diameter by measuring across the wheel facing, certainly good enough to identify which disc you have.

That retaining spring and caliper looks like my 350mm brakes :)
my disks are pretty worn out, so thickness could be less than difference between sizes

#5 ·
Sparkplug said:
Reaper38 said:
Hi, got 2.0d awd , time to replace all pads and rotors, but there is a problem. Catalogs and vin search give different results, vin goes for 316 front, catalogs for 325. How is the best way to check what really fits?
My 20D awd has 325mm discs. Does your calipers have the same retaining spring as mine
What rear disks yours had? At rear i have similar issue, catalog for big ones, vin for small

going to check spring later, thanks

great rotors, does slots really help? I'm thinking between originals and Zimmerman slotted.

#6 ·
Reaper38 said:
Sparkplug said:
Reaper38 said:
My 20D awd has 325mm discs. Does your calipers have the same retaining spring as mine
What rear disks yours had? At rear i have similar issue, catalog for big ones, vin for small

going to check spring later, thanks

great rotors, does slots really help? I'm thinking between originals and Zimmerman slotted.
My Rears were also 325 but thinner at 18mm.
To be honest no difference in performance just the looks really. They are mtec discs. They come in a variety of different options and you can add the protective coating. (Grooved and dimpled I went for with brembo pads)
https://www.mtecbrakes.com/brake-discs/jaguar/xe-2015/xe-2-0-200bhp-04-2015

#7 ·
Bit the bullet, took of 2 wheels, brakes are 325 on both axles. Standard nuts are a bit of nightmare to deal with, half of mine are don't fit in 19mm socket, took me around an hour for 2 wheels.
Does anyone have good alternative for lugnuts?

Attachments

#8 ·
Reaper38 said:
Bit the bullet, took of 2 wheels, brakes are 325 on both axles. Standard nuts are a bit of nightmare to deal with, half of mine are don't fit in 19mm socket, took me around an hour for 2 wheels.
these are swolen - it does happen (don't ask me how) - replace them (don't need whole set). had this on xf, had to swap 6 as it was hard to fit socket on

#9 ·
bik3rz said:
Reaper38 said:
these are swolen - it does happen (don't ask me how) - replace them (don't need whole set). had this on xf, had to swap 6 as it was hard to fit socket on
yep most of mine swolen, new originals is around 300usd and no guaranties that they don't swell later, looking for alternatives

#10 ·
The wheel nuts (lugnuts) are clad in a sheet steel wrapper which is chromed to make them look nice which, IMHO, is not a clever design.
I doubt that this "swells" but, unfortunately, ham-fisted fitters at tyre dealers, using air wrenches, usually distort the wrapper so that the normal socket will no longer fit over them. I gather the normal (somewhat brutal) remedy is to hammer a slightly larger socket over the nut and hope that will be tight enough to undo them.
For that reason I never let tyre fitters anywhere near my wheel nuts and instead transport in another vehicle two wheels at a time removed from the car, for new tyres to be fitted. Then I can refit the wheels myself tightening the nuts by hand torque wrench so I get the torque set correctly.
It's a bit of a palaver admittedly but (so far at least!) I've had no problems with irremovable wheel nuts.

#11 ·
Moisture gets between the 2 layers and causes them to swell, use a 6 point 20mm socket for these ones, once the shiny bit falls off they turn into 18mm size, you would get some aftermarket tuner nuts from ebay just make sure you get the correct pitch of thread

#13 ·
chrisjp said:
The wheel nuts (lugnuts) are clad in a sheet steel wrapper which is chromed to make them look nice which, IMHO, is not a clever design.
I doubt that this "swells" but, unfortunately, ham-fisted fitters at tyre dealers, using air wrenches, usually distort the wrapper so that the normal socket will no longer fit over them. I gather the normal (somewhat brutal) remedy is to hammer a slightly larger socket over the nut and hope that will be tight enough to undo them.
For that reason I never let tyre fitters anywhere near my wheel nuts and instead transport in another vehicle two wheels at a time removed from the car, for new tyres to be fitted. Then I can refit the wheels myself tightening the nuts by hand torque wrench so I get the torque set correctly.
It's a bit of a palaver admittedly but (so far at least!) I've had no problems with irremovable wheel nuts.
whatever it is, sockets that did fit, didn't anymore, so they did swell for me. whatever, same result, had to be changed.

#15 ·
Fighterpilot said:
Amonst the many sockets I have are a set with curved inners and are ideal for dealing with this sort of problem. This is similar

BFB14CFE-CD20-4827-A872-115B43053ADA-large.jpg
In my experience curved, gets really stuck on this, taking off small chips from cover

#16 ·
Dragos said:
I replace mine recently. My disks was 316mm vented front and 300mm solid rear. Bought ZIMMERMANN COAT Z disks and Brembo pads. Braking improved a lot, a lot. Bought from here : https://www.onlinecarparts.co.uk/ Prices are good in my opinion but are shipped from Germany and take about 1 week to arrive.
What spec do you have?

#17 ·
Reaper38 said:
Dragos said:
I replace mine recently. My disks was 316mm vented front and 300mm solid rear. Bought ZIMMERMANN COAT Z disks and Brembo pads. Braking improved a lot, a lot. Bought from here : https://www.onlinecarparts.co.uk/ Prices are good in my opinion but are shipped from Germany and take about 1 week to arrive.
What spec do you have?
R-sport 2.0D, 180 2016. I was confused what size of disks I have so, with a tape, I took measure on outside of the wheels, best is to do with tape kept vertically, and saw that front are 316, rear 300. No need to remove the wheel. Hope this make sense

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.