Jaguar XE Forum banner

Goodyear Asymmetric 5 impressions.

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  ChrisGB 
#1 ·
Just thought I'd post my impressions of the Goodyear Asymmetric 5 tyres for anyone thinking about fitting a set.

I've been running these tyres for around 1000 miles now. Sizes are the XE-S 19" options, so 225/40R19 93Y and 255/35R19 96Y. These replaced the Dunlop Sportmaxx RT J spec OE tyres. I've taken into consideration the fact that these replaced older, partially worn tyres. The Dunlop had 3.5 - 5mm of tread left on them, but cracking on the fronts was getting bad and I wanted a matched set, so all 4 replaced.

Observations:

NVH (Noise, Vibration and Harshness)

Noise: The Goodyear tyres seem to be a little quieter than the Dunlop at low speeds, but a little noisier at national speed limit speeds. The noise that is most noticeable is typical tyre roar, it seems slightly louder and lower in frequency than that from the Dunlop. It is a subtle difference, but definitely slightly noisier.

Vibration: The Goodyear seem to transmit a little more high frequency surface texture into the car in the 150-250Hz region than the Dunlop did.

Harshness: Generally, the Goodyear seems to round off the sharpness of transverse ridges noticeably more effectively than the Dunlop. In particular, the ridges on one local section of dual carriageway sent very sharp thwacks through to the cabin on the Dunlop, the Goodyear renders them audible but not harsh at all. On larger imperfections like potholes, the Goodyear seem to behave like a heavier tyre, sometimes taking a slight bounce before they settle where the Dunlop would settle without apparent rebound. This doesn't feel as apparent with the dampers in sport mode, so I suspect that the Goodyear is perhaps putting slightly more vertical energy into the spring / damper system.

Dry handling:

The Goodyear offers a more responsive turn in than the Dunlop. The front end seems more positive and as you lean on the front more, where the Dunlop would run into understeer without really getting stuck in, the Goodyear seems to need less lock applied to load up in a positive way with a linear and predictable response.

Once turned in, I always found the Dunlop to never really take on a set. It was easy enough to bring the rear into play in the cornering process, but the tyre never seemed to provide a shoulder to lean up against, instead, it would allow ever greater slip angle and then slowly wash away to oversteer. On the Goodyear, the stronger and more positive front end makes working the rear tyres easier and they take on a positively communicated set that you can lean on heavily. Breakaway beyond this is progressive, but less so than on the Dunlop.

There may be subtle differences in traction, the Goodyear seems to take a little longer from the apex before acceleration can be introduced, but this may be because cornering forces are a little higher. The overall impression is that the Goodyear produces its grip at smaller slip angles than the Dunlop and feels significantly more easy to read. Steering is more communicative, but there is no increase in tramlining or following of road surface imperfections. Manipulating weight transfers is definitely easier on the Goodyear, with firm, well defined grip to lean on.

Wet Handling:

Here, the story is much the same as in the dry. The Dunlop had good aquaplaning resistance, which declined a little as they wore, but never felt keyed into the surface when turning and often, a fast B road run in the wet felt like an exercise in managing scrub. As in the dry, the Dunlop always felt like its grip was starting to ebb away fairly early. Turn in was relaxed and I never felt the Dunlop really get through the wet layer and bite into the surface, it was always scrubbing a bit. This dented confidence and as in the dry, the rear never seemed to take on a set. The Goodyear is also excellent at resisting aquaplaning but feels much more planted in the corners. Mirroring it's dry behaviour, turn in is positive and the tyre really seems to cut through the water and establish a solid contact with the road, providing a solid shoulder of grip to lean on. The transition from grip to slip is more predictable but more abrupt, given the grip level difference this is to be expected, but it is not spiky. Once beyond the limit, it is manageable. Confidence inspiring tyres. Aquaplaning resistance of the Goodyear seems similar to how the Dunlop was before they wore. As in the dry, the Goodyear provide more feel through the steering and if the front is pushing, you will clearly feel the onset through the steering wheel.

Rolling resistance:

I have certain journeys that I do regularly and have not been able to detect any difference in fuel economy between the two tyres over the 500 or so miles of regular journeys I have monitored for comparison.

All in all, I think I prefer the Goodyear approach to the Dunlop. Differences range from subtle to night and day though. If comfort and quietness are your priority, Dunlop may be the better option. Only proviso is that the Dunlop are prone to cracking around the shoulders and this will limit tyre life. For dynamic ability and feel, the Goodyear is my preference. Reviews indicate that the Goodyear have a very good wear rate too.

You pays your money and takes your choice!

See less See more
#2 ·
nice review ;)

always preferred goodyear eagle f1's over anything else out there

#4 ·
Considering a set of these to replace my original Dunlops. I've no issues with the Dunlops apart from cracking mentioned at the recent MOT.

#5 ·
Just a little update on the Asymmetric 5s. A weekend spent driving enthusiastically around Wales, with a few friends in quick cars, revealed that these tyres are a pretty big step up in dynamics over the Dunlop Sportmaxx. Whereas, on my last trip there on Dunlop, I was working hard keeping pace with the convoy in places, the new tyres made the same sort of pace (and then some) easily manageable, wet or dry. Also, by offering more feel, predicability and grip they played a big part in finally revealing the XES's chassis brilliance. Lovely balance easily manipulated, taut body control but never brittle, always in tune with the road whatever the pace or surface, soaking up seemingly impossible compressions with travel in reserve, it blitzed hundreds of miles of challenging roads and never put a foot wrong.

I know I moan on about the shabby brake system and the build quality is suspect, but bloody hell, it drives so completely brilliantly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.