Jaguar XE Forum banner

Calipers rusty

14K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  Late for Tea 
#1 ·
Calipers and exhaust starting to look like this
Is it normal ? Is this something else to add to my list of problems with this car ?

2015 XE

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Quite common and has been mentioned before.
On a 2015 XE that has been through a couple of winters, the road salt will take it's toll.
The people who supply Jag with the calipers probably don't even paint them so they may well corrode.
It's unsightly but I doubt if it's a warranty issue.

#3 ·
Did Jaguar make the same decision made on our 2016 and 2017 XE's?

I can clean the muck from my wheels and wells adequately enough, but I know I can't deal with the caliper housings, should they begin to show early rust marks...

#4 ·
I have painted mine because of the same reason. Would post pics but currently on holiday in Maldives so when I return I will.

#7 ·
Its a pet hate of mine especially when its supposed to be a premium brand, sticks out like a sore thumb! Glad Ive got an S at least there painted red ! and the discs have a good black coating, Vw and Audi disc hubs go rusty I had a VW CC before and they were as rusty as a horse shoe,
dealer didn't want to know so I bought a JAG and told him partly why

#8 ·
Blue Fire said:
I have painted mine because of the same reason. Would post pics but currently on holiday in Maldives so when I return I will.
See attached images, probably not as good as the XE S, but better than rusty ones. Used Halfords caliper paint, applied two coats, took 6 hours inc wheel removal.

View attachment 3707

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

View attachment 805

View attachment 1129

Attachments

#13 ·
I've got the same issue with my Calipers, they are being repainted tomorrow. I'll upload some photos once completed

#15 ·
PFGMG said:
Why didn't you paint your calipers blue like the body color? And which products did you use? do you also know if those products come in black?
Thanks in advance!
Wasn't sure what colour initially, but Jaguar use red on the XE S and yellow for their carbon version, so wanted to stay fairly standard. As previous post I used Halfords caliper paint and carefully brush applied two coats. Not sure what colours are in their range but a search of their site would help. There are other caliper paint suppliers out there

#16 ·
Blue Fire said:
gaz0r said:
Calipers and exhaust starting to look like this
Is it normal ? Is this something else to add to my list of problems with this car ?

2015 XE
Blue Fire said:
See attached images, probably not as good as the XE S, but better than rusty ones. Used Halfords caliper paint, applied two coats, took 6 hours inc wheel removal.

Front.jpg

Front 2.jpg

Rear.jpg

Rear 2.jpg
Looks really good, I want to get mine done as soon as the weather pics up.

#18 ·
Most people don't remove anything other than the wheels - you can get a (visually, at least) satisfactory result by painting all that is accessible in situ. Unhitching the calipers from the hubs/knuckles will let you paint them all around and makes covering some fiddly bits a little easier, but you will have to suspend them within the wheel arch.

Completely removing the calipers is the thorough way of doing it but yes you need to know what you're doing with bleeding the brakes and refitting correctly etc. afterwards.

#22 ·
Has anybody thought of going down the caliper cover route? I can't find any available at the moment but I reckon you could get MGP to make some for the XE... From what I've read they are decent quality compared to the Brembo ones? Won't be cheap but easier than faffing about with painting them, if enough people were interested you could probably sort a forum Group buy/discount...

https://www.calipercovers.com/

Here's an example for the XJ... - https://www.calipercovers.com/vehiclesearch/result/index/year/44/make/31/model/475/submodel/786

#25 ·
Have you seen that specific make of covers though? I've seen the cheapie Brembo plastic ones before and they don't really stand up to close inspection (apparently also a bad idea for heat build-up), I'd have thought that properly machined aerospace grade aluminium would actually look pretty decent...? And you can have a Jaguar logo/text on them. If I didn't have an S, I'd certainly think about taking a punt although I'll agree they ain't cheap!

#26 ·
mistral_blue said:
Have you seen that specific make of covers though? I've seen the cheapie Brembo plastic ones before and they don't really stand up to close inspection (apparently also a bad idea for heat build-up), I'd have thought that properly machined aerospace grade aluminium would actually look pretty decent...? And you can have a Jaguar logo/text on them. If I didn't have an S, I'd certainly think about taking a punt although I'll agree they ain't cheap!

Yes, I have. A couple of guys I work with have them. Here is a shot from the makers facebook page:

There is also one member over on another forum who has them on his F-Type:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/dropped-158802/

You can find lots of examples online just by searching photos on Yahoo! or Google. On the XE and other Jags they may look "okay" because the front brakes are actually big enough to accept the cover - what i mean by that is that some people put these covers on cars with smaller brakes and it makes the caliper appear to be about twice the size of the disk. You can simply tell they are covers from a great distance then.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.