XE spare wheel

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Faults and Fixes
PhilB

Re: XE spare wheel

Post by PhilB » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:31 pm

It's what gives you peace of mind that really counts Terry.
I haven't heard of anybody getting a full-sized wheel as a spare and yes you would lose a fair bit of space.
The only thing to consider is that an awful lot of XE's on 18 inchers have different sized wheels and tyres front and back.
So if you are in that camp and had a rear puncture your front spare would be narrower.
I haven't heard of anybody having issues with the space saver and your spare wheel would be doing the same job as a short term thing until you can get to a tyre shop so is the expense of a full wheel and tyre worth it over a cheaper "skinny" ?
Three years in now and there are probably plenty of stuffed XE's in salvage yards so you might be able to source the space saver and maybe even the proper "Spare wheel" boot floor to keep things tidy quite cheaply.
But up to you.
XE S 380, Storm grey Pics Black venoms/black pack, 18 ways, BSM, 40/20/40, ICTPro 380, parking pack, spare wheel.
Previous: 2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

Jack russel

Post by Jack russel » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:33 am

anyone know where i can get the foam storage box for jack etc as those on line have the jack and wheelbrace included and i already have those , just want the empty box

bunworth

Post by bunworth » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:07 pm

Have used the spacesaver twice now.Feels OK on the back but a bit twitchy on the front.However lots better than a messy puncture kit in my opinion.

Jay

Post by Jay » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:03 pm

Just to echo some of the above, I replaced the hair mousse system with a 115/85 R18 XE space saver with appropriate securing bolt and floor support. Plus Jag jack and wheel brace. The jacking points are reassuringly wider than previous cars, so nothing from my jack collection fitted.
Obviously the floor is slightly above where it should be, but I hardly notice that and there's no floor wobble.
Used it last week on a rear wheel with 2 chunky screws through the tyre and it was fine for the day's local driving. I didn't notice much difference, but then again I didn't push it at all. I doubt that the hairspray would have helped.
The original tyre was a write-off, so I just put the Summers back on - looking out of the window now, maybe a tad early!
XE R-Sport 2.0D 180 Auto. MY17 Santorini Black.

Jack russel

Post by Jack russel » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:50 pm

assume a storage box for jack etc not available?

JiggyJag

Post by JiggyJag » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:09 pm

Jack russel wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:50 pm
assume a storage box for jack etc not available?
Not seen the storage case on its own but they should be out there.
I guess just try web searching and sifting through the results.
Curr: MY18 XE Portfolio 250 RWD, Loire blue / Oyster, parking pack, folding mirrors, spare wheel, splash guards
Prev: MY17 XE Prestige 180 Auto, Odyssey red / Latte, parking pack, heated screen, pano roof, folding mirrors, spare wheel, splash guards

Jack russel

Post by Jack russel » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:02 pm

found the jack storage box thanks to Myton Automotive Part Number is T4N3666

Return to “Wheels, Tyres, Suspension”