Vibration from the floor

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Faults and Fixes
Jeff

Vibration from the floor

Post by Jeff » Mon May 08, 2017 8:16 am

Hi,

My XE (R Sport 240) is currently in the dealer's (for a month now) trying to diagnose a vibration from the floor which becomes obvious at 85mph onwards... They are giving me bullshit like it does not vibrate at the national speed limit..

I've had another wheel and tire put on and still the same vibration..

Anyone got any ideas?

Cheers

PhilB

Re: Vibration from the floor

Post by PhilB » Mon May 08, 2017 8:23 am

My first thought would have been wheel balance too.
Putting aside any possible drive train issues, another thing could be the panels underneath being loose.
I know another member had issues with one being loose and the fixings falling out.
It could be that once over a certain speed the airflow sets up a vibration.
Just a suggestion.
MY20 Evoque P300 HSE.
Previously: 2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green. 2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.

richmond

Post by richmond » Mon May 08, 2017 9:27 am

Another suggestion is an imbalance in the propshaft, but I would expect that to show well before 85mph. Insist that the dealer sorts it out.
John
2016 XE Italian Racing Red Prestige 2.0i 200
Prev. 2011 XFS

mistral_blue

Post by mistral_blue » Mon May 08, 2017 9:43 am

Would be interesting to see if it vibrates on a rolling road vs a real one. That way they could maybe more easily hone in on what is causing it, eg wheel balance, panel/chassis vibration etc

I'd also ask that both the front wheels be balanced on a Hunter Road Force balancer. With large wheel and tyre assemblies (like those on our Jags) it's the best way of ensuring the wheels are properly balanced. I take all my cars to Imperial Tyres in Swindon and have watched many a balancing session on this device and it is extremely clever. For example I had some new tyres for my XKR with which I was getting vibration at about 60, they had been balanced on the more basic version of the machine without the roller. I took the car back to them and we put the wheels on the Hunter RFB. It turned out one of them was slightly misshapen (egg shaped!), the spun wheel assembly was showing as balanced but when the roller of the road force balancer came down you could see the tyre was deformed, leading to vibration at about that sort of speed...

Video demo HERE
XE S - Ultimate Black + Ebony/Oyster seats + 19" Venoms. ICT Pro, 10x10 seats, Panoramic roof, 40:20:40 rear seats, Power mirrors and steering column, APA Pack + Surround Camera, Adaptive Lighting/Cold Climate/Road Technology (HUD/ACC) Packs

Jeff

Post by Jeff » Tue May 09, 2017 3:01 am

Thanks guys. They insisted that they have "checked" the prop shaft, and nothing is amiss. It does get more and more pronounced the more you speed over the limit :lol: :lol:

Also tried putting it in Neutral or changing gears, no change in the vibration (while it's present).

Just a bit out of ideas really......... :cry: :cry:

richmond

Post by richmond » Tue May 09, 2017 10:17 am

It does sound as though it's a wheel or suspension problem.
John
2016 XE Italian Racing Red Prestige 2.0i 200
Prev. 2011 XFS

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Tue May 09, 2017 10:36 am

Is the under engine shield fitted correctly? Is the front bumper tight at the underside?
180 diesel XE R Sport, with many extras :D

mistral_blue

Post by mistral_blue » Tue May 09, 2017 6:17 pm

Jeff wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 3:01 am
Thanks guys. They insisted that they have "checked" the prop shaft, and nothing is amiss. It does get more and more pronounced the more you speed over the limit :lol: :lol:

Also tried putting it in Neutral or changing gears, no change in the vibration (while it's present).

Just a bit out of ideas really......... :cry: :cry:
Does it just continue to build with increased speed? I'd have thought a wheel balance issue would come and go, with it worst at a particular speed. If it just grows with speed I'd say it was something other than wheel balance...
XE S - Ultimate Black + Ebony/Oyster seats + 19" Venoms. ICT Pro, 10x10 seats, Panoramic roof, 40:20:40 rear seats, Power mirrors and steering column, APA Pack + Surround Camera, Adaptive Lighting/Cold Climate/Road Technology (HUD/ACC) Packs

fhm1za

Post by fhm1za » Fri May 10, 2019 8:26 am

Jeff wrote:
Mon May 08, 2017 8:16 am
Hi,

My XE (R Sport 240) is currently in the dealer's (for a month now) trying to diagnose a vibration from the floor which becomes obvious at 85mph onwards... They are giving me bullshit like it does not vibrate at the national speed limit..

I've had another wheel and tire put on and still the same vibration..

Anyone got any ideas?

Cheers
Good morning all. New comer from South Africa . Recently acquired a new 2019 Jag XE300 SPORT RWD, done 1600kms so far and have the exact issue as above.

@Jeff was they any resolution to the above fault. I am in similar situation , case logged with JLRCRA , vehicle is sitting at the dealer trying to figure this floor vibration from 135kph (85mph) . Wheels were swopped , even replaced the rear differential and no change.

Much appreciated for any help and guidance

Rgds
F
2019 JAGUAR XE 300 SPORT

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Fri May 10, 2019 8:30 am

The OP hasn't been online since his last post on this topic two years ago so unlikely to be of any help.
This seems to be the only time this vibration has been mentioned so it's still a bit of a mystery.
MY20 Evoque P300 HSE.
Previously: 2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green. 2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.

Return to “Wheels, Tyres, Suspension”