Vibration from the floor

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Faults and Fixes
BRC

Re: Vibration from the floor

Post by BRC » Fri May 10, 2019 9:05 am

Don't know if it's any help but on the underside of the car are some fibre boards that flap like a flag in the wind well at least when you lift and release them. This video highlights their looseness: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nq6ZyAYqyM
Could it be that under certain circumstances they vibrate? Can't say I have heard anyone else mention vibration but when nothing is obvious you'll look into just about any possibility!

Personally I would be more inclined to think a wheel is at fault and that would be my first focus. Alternatively could it be a suspension damper or component fault?
XE Portfolio as a daily driver and Z4 because I still can!

bob_mcn

Post by bob_mcn » Fri May 10, 2019 9:25 am

Are you sure yours is RWD (rear wheel drive), they should be AWD (all wheel drive), at least here in the UK it is. :?

I have the same version and mine does not have it, unless i am on certain roads here and the ripples in the tarmac can give that impression, moving lanes to a different surface the sound and 'vibes' disappear, showing in my case its nothing on the car, just the road surface, and i cannot fix that.
Bob McN.
Oct'16 to Oct'18: Caesium Blue, Portfolio 240, MY2017, selection of addons.
Oct'18 onwards : Caldera Red, XE 300 Sport, MY2019, bigger selection of addons
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6930&start=20#p77545

fhm1za

Post by fhm1za » Mon May 13, 2019 12:19 am

bob_mcn wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 9:25 am
Are you sure yours is RWD (rear wheel drive), they should be AWD (all wheel drive), at least here in the UK it is. :?

I have the same version and mine does not have it, unless i am on certain roads here and the ripples in the tarmac can give that impression, moving lanes to a different surface the sound and 'vibes' disappear, showing in my case its nothing on the car, just the road surface, and i cannot fix that.
HI, yes definitely Rwd.. There's basically 2 so far in S. A, both rwd.
2019 JAGUAR XE 300 SPORT

fhm1za

Post by fhm1za » Mon May 27, 2019 8:16 am

Good Morning All

Just an update to this issue.. Some good news , the fault has been resolved. No Vibrations , super smooth drive as to what expected from a Jagr ;-)

The issue was narrowed down what to an incorrectly installed rear tyre ( Yes rear wheels :shock: ) . Rear tyres were removed and fitted again. Problem solved..

From my guess, a Hunter Road force balancer would have also picked this up..

After 1.5 months finally issue resolved ;-)
2019 JAGUAR XE 300 SPORT

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Mon May 27, 2019 8:45 am

Good news and glad it's sorted.
:D
Was it badly balanced or did they have it on the wrong way round ?
MY20 Evoque P300 HSE.
Previously: 2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green. 2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.

BOBCDP

Post by BOBCDP » Mon May 27, 2019 11:58 am

BRC wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 9:05 am
Don't know if it's any help but on the underside of the car are some fibre boards that flap like a flag in the wind well at least when you lift and release them. This video highlights their looseness: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nq6ZyAYqyM
Could it be that under certain circumstances they vibrate? Can't say I have heard anyone else mention vibration but when nothing is obvious you'll look into just about any possibility!

Personally I would be more inclined to think a wheel is at fault and that would be my first focus. Alternatively could it be a suspension damper or component fault?

Some time ago I reversed up our lane at night and managed to drive over the kerb at the end. I heard a slight graunching noise and thought I had caught the edge of the front skirt but when I looked the next day there was no damage and I thought no more about it.

A few weeks later a strange noise started. It only happened now and again and I thought when I first heard it that it was static from the radio but turning down the volume eliminated that. I found that it only happened for a few seconds when I went over smooth dips in the road surface at speeds over 60 ish. I thought it might be the suspension bottoming in the dips but you usually feel anything nasty thought the seat of your pants and everything felt quite smooth.

A couple of days ago I dropped a coin which rolled under the car near the driver door and lo and behold I found the cause of the noise. Just under the driver foot well, I had actually ripped the fibre board when I drove over the kerb and part of it was hanging down. Out with the Evostik and I managed to stick the offending bits back up to the floor. Seems to be holding up ok but I will probably use some fibreglass over the rip as a permanent fix.
MY16 2015 R-Sport 180d, Auto, Yulong White,

Mikeyjd

Post by Mikeyjd » Mon May 27, 2019 3:41 pm

BOBCDP wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 11:58 am
BRC wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 9:05 am

Some time ago I reversed up our lane at night and managed to drive over the kerb at the end. I heard a slight graunching noise and thought I had caught the edge of the front skirt but when I looked the next day there was no damage and I thought no more about it.

A few weeks later a strange noise started. It only happened now and again and I thought when I first heard it that it was static from the radio but turning down the volume eliminated that. I found that it only happened for a few seconds when I went over smooth dips in the road surface at speeds over 60 ish. I thought it might be the suspension bottoming in the dips but you usually feel anything nasty thought the seat of your pants and everything felt quite smooth.

A couple of days ago I dropped a coin which rolled under the car near the driver door and lo and behold I found the cause of the noise. Just under the driver foot well, I had actually ripped the fibre board when I drove over the kerb and part of it was hanging down. Out with the Evostik and I managed to stick the offending bits back up to the floor. Seems to be holding up ok but I will probably use some fibreglass over the rip as a permanent fix.
I have done exactly the same. I caught the floor on a pothole in a grass verge. A bit if fibre is hanging down. Did you stick it to the floor of the car, or to the surrounding fibre board?
2018MY R Sport. 250D AWD. - Meridian, Black pack, Parking pack, plus loads of extras.

BOBCDP

Post by BOBCDP » Mon May 27, 2019 4:16 pm

I just coated the underside of the fibre where it had ripped and the aluminium floor pan with a coat of Evo-stik contact adhesive using a old wooden lolly stick, left it to dry for 10 mins or so and then pushed fibre against the metal and applied pressure for a bit and then let go and it was fine.
MY16 2015 R-Sport 180d, Auto, Yulong White,

Mikeyjd

Post by Mikeyjd » Tue May 28, 2019 3:37 pm

BOBCDP wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 4:16 pm
I just coated the underside of the fibre where it had ripped and the aluminium floor pan with a coat of Evo-stik contact adhesive using a old wooden lolly stick, left it to dry for 10 mins or so and then pushed fibre against the metal and applied pressure for a bit and then let go and it was fine.
OK thanks. I was thinking of sticking it to the metal but wasn't sure if the panel was meant to be removable to access anything underneath the car.
2018MY R Sport. 250D AWD. - Meridian, Black pack, Parking pack, plus loads of extras.

chrisjp

Post by chrisjp » Wed May 29, 2019 12:58 am

mistral_blue wrote:
Mon May 08, 2017 9:43 am
Would be interesting to see if it vibrates on a rolling road vs a real one. That way they could maybe more easily hone in on what is causing it, eg wheel balance, panel/chassis vibration etc

I'd also ask that both the front wheels be balanced on a Hunter Road Force balancer. With large wheel and tyre assemblies (like those on our Jags) it's the best way of ensuring the wheels are properly balanced. I take all my cars to Imperial Tyres in Swindon and have watched many a balancing session on this device and it is extremely clever. For example I had some new tyres for my XKR with which I was getting vibration at about 60, they had been balanced on the more basic version of the machine without the roller. I took the car back to them and we put the wheels on the Hunter RFB. It turned out one of them was slightly misshapen (egg shaped!), the spun wheel assembly was showing as balanced but when the roller of the road force balancer came down you could see the tyre was deformed, leading to vibration at about that sort of speed...

Video demo HERE
Looking at the video, it appears that the wheel itself (rather than the tyre) is distorted out of round. This will make the tyre distorted also. It looks as though the wheel has been damaged by a pothole or other road obstruction. Unfortunately this sort of damage is getting much more common due to the combination of terrible roads in the UK and the current fashion for very low profile tyres, which give much less "cushioning".
Chris Phillips. Jaguar XE Prestige 250 PS MY19. Fuji white with oyster leather, privacy glass, xenon lights, heated steering wheel, memory pack, parking pack, Pro navigation 825w, configurable dynamics, space saver spare wheel, folding rear seat.

Return to “Wheels, Tyres, Suspension”