Non OE Winter Tyres Wheels on XE-S

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Faults and Fixes
51mes

Non OE Winter Tyres Wheels on XE-S

Post by 51mes » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:12 pm

Sorry ! I know it's early but prices soon rise for these tyres as the rest of europe is forced to comply by law....

My previous car was a Volvo v60 polestar - and I bought a set of winter wheels and tyres for it, the tyres are part worn and the wheels after 2 winters are pretty spotless.. I could take the hit, sell them and but some replacements - but it's only sensible for my wallet to check if they would do..

Being related to ford they have the same 5x108 PCD, have a 63.4mm centre bore and use Ford TPMS sensors,

This leaves me with an question around width/offsets, the fronts are wider , and the rears are narrower..

I used a decent quality wheel - Team Dynamic Pro-Race 1.3 in the 19x8.5J fitment (the volvo wouldnt take smaller wheels), with Vredstien WIntrac 235/40/19 tyres.

mapping this onto the Jaguar winters - the fronts seem to be the issue - though the news that the 20" propellers fit with 235/35/R20 make it look like the fit will be a very close thing..

Has anyone fitted 4x 19x8.5J ET45 wheels with 235/40/19 tyres to an XE before?

Happy to be told it's a very bad thing just leaning on the wisdom of the community..

Thanks,

Simon,
XE-S in IRR 19" Radiance, red/jet leather, ICP, Meridian Digital, Pan Roof, HUD + extras + lots of carbon fibre :twisted:

51mes

Re: Non OE Winter Tyres Wheels on XE-S

Post by 51mes » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:10 am

Bit more resarch makes me think the fronts wont fit - limit with that offset and wheel size seems to be 225 width tyres - which are very narrow for an 8.5J wheel..

Ordered a set of Jaguar 18" Stars with Pirelli's - before the prices start to climb in september.. Very tempted to plastidip them black...

S.
XE-S in IRR 19" Radiance, red/jet leather, ICP, Meridian Digital, Pan Roof, HUD + extras + lots of carbon fibre :twisted:

richmond

Post by richmond » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:48 pm

I know that good winter tyres transform the traction and road-holding of rear wheel cars and certainly the Jaguars. Where I live and as I'm not forced to go out in bad weather I've decided against them this year because of the price, but if I lived in Cumbria I'd consider them a must.
John
2016 XE Italian Racing Red Prestige 2.0i 200
Prev. 2011 XFS

51mes

Post by 51mes » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:49 pm

John,

Yes pretty much - I've run winters for the past 6 years now, on a mixture of cars AWD/FWD. The XE is the first rwd daily I've owned for a good few years now, my s2000 doesn't come out in bad weather. Winters are a must irrespective of snow up here, they transform bad weather handling and more so with rwd.

S.

mistral_blue

Post by mistral_blue » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:49 pm

+1 Winter Tyre fan! - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=5770&p=64442#p64442

Got them for my previous Octy and now for the XE S...
XE S - Ultimate Black + Ebony/Oyster seats + 19" Venoms. ICT Pro, 10x10 seats, Panoramic roof, 40:20:40 rear seats, Power mirrors and steering column, APA Pack + Surround Camera, Adaptive Lighting/Cold Climate/Road Technology (HUD/ACC) Packs

NewLester de Rocin

Post by NewLester de Rocin » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:18 pm

;) I’m a longtime fan of winter tyres, on anything you drive around in, RWD, FWD, truck, I don’t car----snow tyres make it even better.

But I just can’t go for those 19” sizes on Winter Tyres. 16”, 17”, or 18” if your car just won’t accommodate anything smaller.
I envision 19” tyres getting clogged in overnight ice, causing my aluminum rims to get scarred against a sidewalk curb that’s hidden by the snow, or letting the wheel get cracked apart in a deep winter pothole.

For me, winter is time to show more rubber on my wheels, and less aluminum.

Didn't someone say smaller diameter tyres are better traction-holders in the snow and ice than larger diameter tyres
1990 Corolla DX in Regata Blue; 1996 Corolla DX in Satin Granite Black;
2017 (X760) XE Prestige in British Racing Green

51mes

Post by 51mes » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:44 pm

Agree,

That's totally what I did - the XE-S with the BBK as standard will go a small as 18" Wheels

The narrower the tyre the better, wide , large alloys really are not the best for winter. The 18" wheels with 225 are almost too wide.

S.

mistral_blue

Post by mistral_blue » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:51 pm

Yeah I did think about 18s but then started reading about TPMS, rolling radius etc and decided to just stick with 19s like what was already on it, especially as there were Sottozeros in that size, unlike other cars there was no real price benefit in going smaller... Not too worried about snow, as we don't get much/often down here, it's more for ice/cold/wet roads in southern UK
XE S - Ultimate Black + Ebony/Oyster seats + 19" Venoms. ICT Pro, 10x10 seats, Panoramic roof, 40:20:40 rear seats, Power mirrors and steering column, APA Pack + Surround Camera, Adaptive Lighting/Cold Climate/Road Technology (HUD/ACC) Packs

DangerousDan

Post by DangerousDan » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:32 am

I live in a place where not having true winter tyres is foolhardy. We drive on packed snow and ice from the first of December through mid March. If you drive in this kind of road condition, get some true winter tyres!

My car is not an S, but it is a RWD XE 2.0 Diesel. and I have Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 in the 225/50 17 size with no fit issues. They are absolutely marvelous. I have had Michelin X-Ice and Bridgestone Blizzak tyres on previous vehicles (VW Jettas), and they were also good tyres.

Domfow

Post by Domfow » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:11 am

I've gone the halfway step not full winter but the new Michelin Cross Climate S, all season tyre, with a 3 flake rating that means they can be used in countries were a winter tyre is law. The transformation from the Continental summer ditchfinders is a revelation, the grip in the wet, snow and ice and especially below 7 degrees is immediately apparent coming off roundabouts the car is sure footed (limpet like) unlike the continentals (bambi on ice :lol: ). As Michelin produce all the correct sizes, there was an exact match to my continental eco warriers and the TPMS works perfectly
Jaguar XE Portfolio 163ps manual Bluefire with Oyster leather, extras: xenon, reverse camera, heated screen, upgrade matts, dim mirrors

Return to “Wheels, Tyres, Suspension”