Resetting TPMS "handbook" values (and tyre /rim size questions)

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Faults and Fixes
Sherlock Ohms

Resetting TPMS "handbook" values (and tyre /rim size questions)

Post by Sherlock Ohms » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:07 pm

My first post: - any advice from other members will be most appreciated

I have just bought a 2016 XE 2.0D (163 PS) Automatic.
Beautiful car, drives like a dream.

However the tyres (225/45 ZR18 95Y, front & rear) are rather rubbish - Hankook on the front, Falken on the rear.
The TPMS is OK on heavy load setting, but the “handbook” pressures as displayed for light load seem to be for 17” rims (41/38psi) so I get a constant under inflated message when I inflate to the sticker values (34psi all round). Just to add to my confusion, the rims don’t look like Jaguar OEM - 8 pairs of spokes rather than 7 pairs.

We’ll be driving to Italy via Germany in September so I would like to replace the tyres before such a long (and, in part, potentially high speed) journey.

Questions:
  • Have I got the right wheels?
    Do I need to get new 17” rims?
    Will TPMS work with any rims or does it have to be Jag OEM?
    Can someone (anyone?) reset my “handbook” values for 18” wheels?
As I live in rural Aberdeenshire, I will need to buy winter tyres before November so don’t mind buying a new set of rims and use the current set for them (though I have been told that 17” rims are best for winter tyres).

many thanks

SO
The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.
Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

Indianajons

Re: Resetting TPMS "handbook" values (and tyre /rim size questions)

Post by Indianajons » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:50 pm

Similar problem here... car had 19 inchers from factory but I didn’t like them and had them changed back to the original 18 inchers when I bought it but nobody at dealership had a clue how to reset the pressure readout
2017 MY tempest grey Portfolio 180D, folding mirrors, 14 way seats, memory pack, cold weather pack, 360 parking, wi-fi hotspot

Petercoll

Post by Petercoll » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:24 am

Every retailer has to have at least one Master Technician. The clue is in their ‘Master’ assignation. If they choose at the retailer to deny you his services, or he is just plain lazy, ask them once more, then walk away, as they won’t be much good at anything else ! Unfortunately, outfits like these are not uncommon across all manufacturers. The sole reason for the business is to sit on the land and cash in on the real estate rise in value, not to cash in on a well run business.
MY 18 XE 25t r-Sport , Corris Grey with rear privacy glass, 19 inch wheels, In Control Touch Pro, larger disc brakes, Adaptive Dynamics & split rear seats.

Madatter

Post by Madatter » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:19 am

There's a bit of info here

viewtopic.php?t=2026
XE 2.0TD MY16 ULTIMATE BLACK Prestige, Cold Climate Pack, Parking Pack, Pan Roof, Waste of Space WiFi. Extra Wheel in the boot. (And a towbar)

Domfow

Post by Domfow » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:57 am

Sherlock Ohms wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:07 pm

Can someone (anyone?) reset my “handbook” values for 18” wheels?[/list]

As I live in rural Aberdeenshire, I will need to buy winter tyres before November so don’t mind buying a new set of rims and use the current set for them (though I have been told that 17” rims are best for winter tyres).

many thanks

SO
I have a 163 Portfolio and any 163 is restricted to 17 inch OEM rims and were all originally fitted with ECO Continental tyres, this was to allow the 163 to get under the CO2 100 rating and become a zero tax car. Unfortunately to achieve this the TPMS system has been hard coded for 17 inch rims, other engine sizes the TPMS software allows the wheel size to be adjusted.
On winter tyres, I got rid of the Eco warriers and I have fitted all round Michelin Cross Climate All season tyres on the 17 inch wheels. These tyres have now done 15,000 miles and handled the snow of March and are handling the current heat wave. They really have improved the handling and grip of the car.
Jaguar XE R-Dynamic S 180 Portofino blue with white interior replaced Portfolio 163ps manual Bluefire with Oyster leather

richmond

Post by richmond » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:28 am

Domfow wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:57 am
I got rid of the Eco warriers and I have fitted all round Michelin Cross Climate All season tyres on the 17 inch wheels. These tyres have now done 15,000 miles and handled the snow of March and are handling the current heat wave. They really have improved the handling and grip of the car.
And they're not too expensive, £133 a corner for 225/50/17 at Oponeo at the moment.
John
2016 XE Italian Racing Red Prestige 2.0i 200
Prev. 2011 XFS

Sherlock Ohms

Post by Sherlock Ohms » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:09 pm

Thanks, everybody, for the help & advice. Much appreciated.
I'm not smart enough to work out why the rim size affects CO2 emissions (surely it would be down to the rolling resistance of the tyre??)

Looks like it's back to 17" rims for me, if I wan't to avoid the warning messages & lights (today I was informed that all four tyres were at the sticker value and to get them inflated right away). Michelin cross climates are a tasty option as my garage is filling up with sets of spare tyres & wheels from cars I either no longer own (nearly new x-type winters on 16" rims, MX5 steel wheels with rather bald rubber) or use rarely (big chunky things for a Land Rover 90)

As an aside, would the vehicle have been "tuned" in any way at the factory for the 205/55/17 wheels? Does driving on my current wheels have any deleterious effect on the handling or safety?. Should I treat the return to 17" as a matter of priority?

When the car is due for an MOT (next year), would it fail if the warning light was on?
The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.
Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless