Vespa

Re: Disc and Pad Replacement

Post by Vespa » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:24 am

I would love to know the name of the garage concerned. :roll:
180 diesel XE R Sport, with many extras :D

BRC

Post by BRC » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:29 am

Likkewise but given it is presumably in the county of Herefordshire than not chance of me ever using it! I suspect all will be revealed once an outcome is announced. Too early to be sure but does seem as if there is a case to name and shame.
XE Portfolio as a daily driver and Z4 because I still can!

Martyn UK

Post by Martyn UK » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:59 am

It is in Hertfordshire not Herefordshire guess a typo.
Portfolio 200 Ingenium Petrol, 18 MY,Loire Blue ,Light Oyster, Split rear seats, spare wheel,14way front seats, Cold Climate pack, Parking pack ,Powered boot lid, Power fold heated mirrors , ICT Pro Meridian, Blind spot monitor.

Mike87

Post by Mike87 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:14 am

BRC wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:04 am
This seems to still be at something of an impasse and as far as I can make out still no definition of what an aircon service entails. Surely as no such thing exists then the charge of £160 is bogus. Just out of interest has there been any mention of a pollen filter being changed?
As for the brakes then without knowing more about the history of the car it does seem curious given it was (if I’m reading correctly) an approved motor. You say the bill is over five times the normal service cost and if so then presumably significantly over £1000, is this correct?

It does seem that way

I now know, The service on the air con consisted of a re gas. Among other checks I assume.
So time was spent on it clearly.

It was indeed, as far as I'm aware just an ex showroom/sales persons car.

And yes, correct, which I didn't expect for its very first service with me, with it being just 2 years old in January.
Topping up add blue which I did request, (just so I knew it would be done properly) I expected to be added on. But nothing else above the basic service cost.
I clearly have not understood everything that's involved though.

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:18 am

Are you saying you were charged for a normal service or did they charge extra for the regas?
Current: 2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.
Previous: 2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

glcohen

Post by glcohen » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:22 am

Can anyone clarify a point that has been made in this thread regarding lubrication of brake caliper guide pins.

The workshop manual for my car (from Topix) only mentions the subject when describing front pad replacement where there is a line saying "Make sure that the mating faces are clean and free of foreign material and that no grease is applied to the brake pad guides." This line does not appear in the instructions for rear pad replacement instructions where nothing specific is said about the guide pins.

I had previously undestood this line in the manual to mean that no lubrication should be appled to the pads themselves - however I now wonder if this really means that the guide pins should remain without lubrication.
XE 2.0 Prestige 20T Auto (MY 2017) , Rhodium Silver with Oyster interior, Gloss figured ebony veneer, Split rear Seat, Park Assist and surround camera pack, Power fold and dimming mirrors, Space saver spare wheel.

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:51 am

That is interesting. Perhaps modern pin manufacture does not require lube. The other point here as well is that the brakes are cleaned with brake cleaner and I wonder if past history has shown that this removes lube leaving the pins to rust and not slide. I assume that if the pins are now stainless steel that lube is not required in theory, and so cannot get cleaned off and not replaced.
180 diesel XE R Sport, with many extras :D

Mike87

Post by Mike87 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:34 pm

Yes so, the basic service charge and services are their own thing

In addition was a separate charge and a separate service to the air con.
The dealership say, most garages wouldn't offer this but we recommend having the air con serviced once a year. On its own.
And it will of course make sure the heating etc is functioning properly as it's winter.
(at a cost)

The break fuid needed topping up,

And the break discs had corroded.

I wanted time to think but they all needed to be done imminently.
So I didn't want to take the risk of driving it somewhere else.

Being caught off guard and agreeing to the work, as I wasn't sure what I was required to have done in order to keep my warranty valid.
So from their point of view they need paying for the work, which is fair.

My contention is that, if not every garage offer the separate service for air con, I shouldn't have to pay for it, should I?
Although I agreed to have it done.
Why would such a new car need that anyway?..

And the break discs and pad degradation shouldn't have happened at 10,000 miles.
I'm not a car enthusiast but I'd be surprised if that were the case

So, i am not sure how jaguar can help me.

PaulC

Post by PaulC » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:53 pm

Mike87 wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:34 pm
And the break discs and pad degradation shouldn't have happened at 10,000 miles.
I wouldn't have thought you'd need new disks and pads after 10,000 unless they had sme serious hammer or a manufacturing defect.
For comparison, I got just over 50,000 (from new) out of the original disks and pads of my last XE, they didn't *need* replacing at that point - there was still plenty of material left on them and the 'low pads' warning hadn't come up on the dash yet, but I had them done anyway as it would most likely have been advised at the next service.
Jaguar XE S [380PS] |[Garage space for a new toy] | Aston Martin Vantage [510PS] | VW Golf GTI [150PS]

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:06 pm

Mike87 wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:34 pm
In addition was a separate charge and a separate service to the air con.
The dealership say, most garages wouldn't offer this but we recommend having the air con serviced once a year. On its own.
And it will of course make sure the heating etc is functioning properly as it's winter.
(at a cost)
Being caught off guard and agreeing to the work, as I wasn't sure what I was required to have done in order to keep my warranty valid.
So from their point of view they need paying for the work, which is fair.

My contention is that, if not every garage offer the separate service for air con, I shouldn't have to pay for it, should I?
Although I agreed to have it done.
Why would such a new car need that anyway?..

So, i am not sure how jaguar can help me.
The car doesn't need it's aircon servicing every year. If it did it would be part of the service schedule which it isn't.
This is obviously a thing they and other dealers will offer owners who can pay for it if they wish but it ISN'T a requirement.
They told you that it was needed to keep the warranty on the air conditioning........that isn't true.

Yes you agreed to having it done but under the impression that it was needed to maintain the car's warranty.
You agreed to it as they had misled you about the warranty.

They should refund you in full for this charge for the aircon service.
Hopefully Dan will have got your pm and be looking into it.

If they try and get out of this by saying it needed a regas due to low levels then that is a fault and covered by the warranty so don't accept that excuse.
Current: 2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.
Previous: 2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

Return to “Wheels, Tyres, Suspension”