Disc and Pad Replacement

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Faults and Fixes
Mike87

Re: Disc and Pad Replacement

Post by Mike87 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:15 pm

I did consider trading standards if we couldn't come to an arrangement.
But wasn't sure if they'd be able to do anything. Wasn't sure if it came under their umbrella.

But as far as I can tell, I've got proof that the breakndisxs and pads were done.
Air con had been serviced..separately.
And liquids topped up.

So I'm hoping that they genuinely did do those.
And I'm all sorted.

You guys have been an invaluable source of knowledge and help.
Can't thank you enough!

Martyn UK

Post by Martyn UK » Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:21 pm

Good to hear Mike, now you can enjoy your cat
Happy Christmas and a trouble free New Year with your XE
Portfolio 200 Ingenium Petrol, 18 MY,Loire Blue ,Light Oyster, Split rear seats, spare wheel,14way front seats, Cold Climate pack, Parking pack ,Powered boot lid, Power fold heated mirrors , ICT Pro Meridian, Blind spot monitor.

BRC

Post by BRC » Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:57 pm

Good result and very pleased for you.
XE Portfolio as a daily driver and Z4 because I still can!

ChrisGB

Post by ChrisGB » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:45 pm

Just been having a read through this post and it's subsequent hijack :D Good to see the shady dealer overruled by JLR. Definitely need the dealer naming and shaming though.

A few points on the subject of brake maintenance and changing from the point of view of someone who works on and runs significantly modified cars:

If you replace discs and pads with pattern replacements, you don't need to notify your insurance company as you are changing parts of similar specification. RedStuff pads would most likely qualify as high quality pattern parts, but the dimpled / grooved discs may not as they are visually obviously different to stock.

I've run EBC Yellowstuff. It is not the best pedal feel from cold, gets better with a bit of heat, gives some warning before total fade sets in, but when they fade, they really, really fade. If you want serious stopping, get some pads made by Carbotech.

Uneven pad wear can be caused by a variety of factors. Greater wear on the inboard pad could easily be caused by seized or dragging slide pins. Overheating , uneven contact and dragging pads can be a sign of this, but also can be caused by the pad guide channels not allowing the pads to move freely. I have experience on EBC pads being supplied with oversize backplates that would not move freely in the pad guides and required a little filing to fit correctly. If they are too tight, you could easily see uneven pad contact. High wear rates on the rear brakes can also be caused by frequent intervention of the traction control / pseudo LSD.

Brake fluid absorbs water (unless it's the silicone based DOT 5 Really DO NOT put this in your XE). This water lowers it's boiling point, which is a bad thing. Generally, after a year in service, your brake fluid will have absorbed enough water to be down to it's wet boiling point. If you are really working the brakes, this will mean that your brake fluid is more likely to boil. More relevant to most road drivers though, is that this water can cause corrosion in your braking system. I'd never leave DOT 5.1 (the XE runs this I believe?) longer than 2 years and would change high performance fluids (RBF 600 / 660 RF 800 / 1000 or similar) at the very least every year or every track day. Whatever you run, if you boil it, change it.

As the early XE models slip out of warranty and off the end of main dealer servicing, more people will be looking to do a bit of DIY (Dont Involve Yourself). Hopefully this could be useful for people looking to do their own pad / disc changes!
S 380, ICT Pro, resale grey. Fun and comfy!

BRC

Post by BRC » Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:58 am

Hello Chris
Many thanks for your observations and interesting points regarding brake fluid/pads.
Over the Xmas break I'm hoping my son will install EBC's Ultramax on the rear and I chose these specifically because it is claimed these are the nearest like for like. I did wonder whether some of the problems people have had were related to pads not moving freely in their guides and I will now very carefully measure with a vernier. So many thanks for the tip and obviously if they need taking down a little then out will come the file.
XE Portfolio as a daily driver and Z4 because I still can!

ChrisGB

Post by ChrisGB » Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:42 am

BRC wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:58 am
Hello Chris
Many thanks for your observations and interesting points regarding brake fluid/pads.
Over the Xmas break I'm hoping my son will install EBC's Ultramax on the rear and I chose these specifically because it is claimed these are the nearest like for like. I did wonder whether some of the problems people have had were related to pads not moving freely in their guides and I will now very carefully measure with a vernier. So many thanks for the tip and obviously if they need taking down a little then out will come the file.
If you can move the pads in the guides with your fingers, you are good to go. There will be some friction as you don't want them moving about and knocking, but I've seen them so tight that they bind. I've seen people painting calipers and covering the guide surfaces with paint which will also cause problems.
S 380, ICT Pro, resale grey. Fun and comfy!

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:06 am

Mike87 wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:10 pm
So on Friday, jaguar did get back to the dealership and told them to remove off the price of the break pads and discs (which I was hoping for)
And also, the "service" to the air con.

So I was very very happy to hear they'd made that decision.
Still had to pay more than expected, but I had to get the car back.
Then got the car back and the bill, the air con was listed with nil next to it.
but the breaks weren't on it..
So we needed to go back and check it was done and have written proof of it. In case of any further issues concerning them.
We managed to get an email saying it was done, so I can prove the were.
So it's all finally sorted I belive.
That's a good result getting that aircon service off the bill and glad you had the brakes done at no charge too.
Just shows Jag customer services can sort things out.

And now, back to all the other braking stuff.
:D
Current: 2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.
Previous: 2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:07 am

Great news for Christmas. Well worth persisting with the issue and well done to JLR CRC. :D Now have a great Christmas holiday :D
180 diesel XE R Sport, with many extras :D

Mike87

Post by Mike87 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:21 pm

Hehe I did indeed have a nice xmas/ new year break, hope you all did too.

And this hasn't put me off the car, I still love it. Not quite as luxurious and comfy as a 2011 xf I experienced once.
But the newer engine is so much greener 😊

Should really start a new thread for this question, but you guys have been so knowledgeable I wanted to ask here first ;

How often do the leather seats, and I guess steering wheel and all leather items in the car, need the leather treated?

Having not had leather before, not sure how often it needs it's shampoo or cream or whatever it's classed as.

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:34 am

Mike87 wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:21 pm
Should really start a new thread for this question, but you guys have been so knowledgeable I wanted to ask here first ;
How often do the leather seats, and I guess steering wheel and all leather items in the car, need the leather treated?
Having not had leather before, not sure how often it needs it's shampoo or cream or whatever it's classed as.
I think that would be a separate topic as this one has steered off topic enough even though it was partly connected to your brake issues.
You can also use the search box at the top of the homepage and enter "leather clean" and quite a few previous topics will come up which may answer your query.
Current: 2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.
Previous: 2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

Return to “Wheels, Tyres, Suspension”