New Tyres - TPMS knackered?

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Faults and Fixes
Sherlock Ohms

New Tyres - TPMS knackered?

Post by Sherlock Ohms » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:54 pm

Just had new winter tyres fitted (Michelin Alpin6) to my 17" Aerodynamic rims with 2 month old (perfectly functioning) TPMS

On leaving the Tyre Dealer I got a TPMS waning <<check all tyre pressures>> (or something similar)

Stopped, looked at the monitor. NSF reading zero, the other three all over the place but essentially low thirties.
Pumped up to 41 front, 38 rear and drove back to the Tyre dealer with warning lights still flashing.

"often takes a bit of time to settle down - boss's Range Rover took 2 days. Take it home and see how it goes. Come back tomorrow if not fixed"

Drove off, 3 miles later get << Front Left Tyre Pressure Not Being Monitored>>

Pull over, switch off, switch on, check pressures . Big X on FNS, no readings on any of the others.

Same when I got home.

Have they knackered the TPMS sensor? Is it an easy fix? Have I made it worse.

Great tyres by the way - stuck like glue at +4 degrees and impressively quiet.
The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.
Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

Phil

Re: New Tyres - TPMS knackered?

Post by Phil » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:55 pm

It can take more than 3 miles to re-register the sensors. I changed one a few weeks back when I damaged it putting my new bridgestones on :roll: and it took a good 5 miles or so to pick it up.

pauljobr

Post by pauljobr » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:03 am

If you are using the same physical wheel rims and TPMS sensors I don't see why they should not work immediately.
In the past I have changed my wheels for a completely different set and did not experience any issues at all. It does take about 15 mins for the TPMS to register with the car in each wheel but if yours were already working with your car I would have expected them to continue working without throwing up any errors or low pressure warnings.
R-Sport 300, Corris Grey, Jet / Light Oyster.
XKR, X100 4.2-s Copper Black, Ivory leather.

Previous:
R-Sport 180 Auto, Ultimate Black.

Madatter

Post by Madatter » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:10 am

They don't work straight away, I changed mine to heavy load, didn't do anything or go anywhere, then changed it back to light load, it went crazy on one wheel and took a good few miles to calm down.
XE 2.0TD MY16 ULTIMATE BLACK Prestige, Cold Climate Pack, Parking Pack, Pan Roof, Waste of Space WiFi. Extra Wheel in the boot. (And a towbar)

pauljobr

Post by pauljobr » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:37 am

Madatter, mine must be very special then, as I have changed my wheels completely and never had an error show up. I have had new tyres fitted and no errors show up.
I know they are working as they do tell me if the pressure drops and when stationary I can see the individual tyre pressures.
R-Sport 300, Corris Grey, Jet / Light Oyster.
XKR, X100 4.2-s Copper Black, Ivory leather.

Previous:
R-Sport 180 Auto, Ultimate Black.

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:41 am

pauljobr wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:37 am
Madatter, mine must be very special then, as I have changed my wheels completely and never had an error show up. I have had new tyres fitted and no errors show up.
I know they are working as they do tell me if the pressure drops and when stationary I can see the individual tyre pressures.
Likewise.
Old tyre off, new tyre on.
No changes or alerts whatsoever.
2019 Evoque P300 HSE MHEV, Carpathian Grey.
2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.
2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

Phil

Post by Phil » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:22 pm

Try swapping the wheels around left/right ;)

Deleted User 732

Post by Deleted User 732 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:32 pm

PhilB wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:41 am
pauljobr wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:37 am
Likewise.
Old tyre off, new tyre on.
No changes or alerts whatsoever.
same here with all 4 changed 2 weeks ago.

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:47 pm

One other thing is don't fall for this "TPMS service kit" nonsense.
They don't need servicing or messing around with.
The only thing that my fitter does is to change the schrader valve as they would change the whole stem on a non-tpms wheel.
Schradrer valves are £1 each from Halfords with a bonus dust cap thrown in !!!
:D
2019 Evoque P300 HSE MHEV, Carpathian Grey.
2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.
2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

Deleted User 732

Post by Deleted User 732 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:51 pm

Mine were changed as a matter of course by the fitter as apparently the small rubber seals in the valve deteriorate in time.