What are these for?

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Faults and Fixes
pauljobr

What are these for?

Post by pauljobr » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:27 am

So I was looking around my car the other day and looking inside the front wheel arches noticed these on both sides of the car.

IMG_1504.jpg

Not sure why they are here, they don't look locked in but are held in place due to the compression of the spring. Now I remember in days gone by when delivering cars they would used spring locks to stop the cars bouncing when transporting but these don't look long enough for that; so I am guessing some sort of spring compression rate enhancer. They are maeleable so not rigid poly-plastic or the such like.
Does anyone else have them on an XE 300 with standard suspension?
R-Sport 300, Corris Grey, Jet / Light Oyster.

Previous: R-Sport 180 Auto, Ultimate Black.

BRC

Re: What are these for?

Post by BRC » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:44 am

Looks to me like they are indeed transit stops. May be wrong but looks to me as if these should be removed.
XE Portfolio as a daily driver and Z4 because I still can!

bob_mcn

Post by bob_mcn » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:19 am

Just checked on mine, (even though i have dynamic suspension) and nothing like that fitted, but i do suspect its the transit stops, i read somewhere (but cannot remember where) that a few others queried them in the past, when they were missed at the prep stage of sale.
Bob McN.
Oct'16 to Oct'18: Caesium Blue, Portfolio 240, MY2017, selection of addons.
Oct'18 onwards : Caldera Red, XE 300 Sport, MY2019, bigger selection of addons
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6930&start=20#p77545

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:24 am

Yes, those are the transit blocks/stops that should have been removed on PDI.
Unfortunately we have seen this before.
Drive to your dealer, point out what shouldn't be there and throw a few f***s into them (metaphorically speaking of course!).
Bloody appalling.
Ride will be a bit comfier once they have pulled them out though.
:lol:
XE S 380, Storm grey Pics Black venoms/black pack, 18 ways, BSM, 40/20/40, ICTPro 380, parking pack, spare wheel.
Previous: 2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

mash101_98

Post by mash101_98 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:34 am

You should also be ashamed at the state you've let those wheel arches get into already! :lol:

I
R-Sport, 250 PS Petrol in Santorini Black and a big :D !

simpler

Post by simpler » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:24 am

pauljobr wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:27 am
So I was looking around my car the other day and looking inside the front wheel arches noticed these on both sides of the car.
IMG_1504.jpg

Not sure why they are here, they don't look locked in but are held in place due to the compression of the spring. Now I remember in days gone by when delivering cars they would used spring locks to stop the cars bouncing when transporting but these don't look long enough for that; so I am guessing some sort of spring compression rate enhancer. They are maeleable so not rigid poly-plastic or the such like.
Does anyone else have them on an XE 300 with standard suspension?
Hi, they are transport pucks to stop a car bouncing when it is on a transporter. Have seen them before on a Golf R. Call your dealer and avoid driving the car - worth complaining about. There could be a third puck under the rubber boot of the strut as well which you might not be able to see without jacking up the car.

pauljobr

Post by pauljobr » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:44 am

Oh well, that's not good. Will have to go to local dealer in milton keynes as opposed to Ipswich where I bought the car from so won't be able to moan, kick and scream as much as I would want to. I am trying to get hold of my sales person to give a right earful to though.
It is tempting to just do it myself as it wont take 5 mins to jack up on trolley jack and pull them out, but then I'll miss out on the coffee and cake at the dealers........
It is strange as the car does actually handle very nicely, presumably because the stoppers are firming up the suspension a bit, but not worth the risk of leaving them in and popping out whilst driving.
R-Sport 300, Corris Grey, Jet / Light Oyster.

Previous: R-Sport 180 Auto, Ultimate Black.

mash101_98

Post by mash101_98 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:49 am

You get cake at your dealers? :shock:
R-Sport, 250 PS Petrol in Santorini Black and a big :D !

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:08 am

Do not worry you may find other things. :lol: :lol: I had both my bonnet safety lifters (Pedestrian ejection over roof) at the screen end of the bonnet taped down. Check those as well. :D
180 diesel XE R Sport, with many extras :D

simpler

Post by simpler » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:27 am

pauljobr wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:44 am
Oh well, that's not good. Will have to go to local dealer in milton keynes as opposed to Ipswich where I bought the car from so won't be able to moan, kick and scream as much as I would want to. I am trying to get hold of my sales person to give a right earful to though.
It is tempting to just do it myself as it wont take 5 mins to jack up on trolley jack and pull them out, but then I'll miss out on the coffee and cake at the dealers........
It is strange as the car does actually handle very nicely, presumably because the stoppers are firming up the suspension a bit, but not worth the risk of leaving them in and popping out whilst driving.
Cars come with a big sticker when it ships on the windscreen like this one. Note the 5mph limit and spelling mistakes!

spring block warning.jpg

Free cake! Lucky you.

Your car has the PDI recorded on 13th Dec at Ipswich with 6 miles so they should of done this!! I would ask your Milton Keynes dealer to double check everything on the PDI again.

Return to “Wheels, Tyres, Suspension”