Brake Fluid Change Help

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Faults and Fixes
adam.nov

Brake Fluid Change Help

Post by adam.nov » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:13 pm

Hi All!

Looking to have my fluid changed soon and looking for some advice.

Does anyone know the amount needed for a complete change?

If I am looking to upgrade the fluid, what should I look for and stay away from? Or just stay OEM?
I have HELL braided brake lines, grooved discs and red stuff pads to go on too.

I do enjoy some spirited driving :)

Thanks
Adam
Jaguar XE-R Sport 2.0 Petrol, Polaris White, Jet & Oyster, Meridian Sound System, Advanced Parking Pack, Privacy Glass, Electric Folding Mirrors, Configurable Ambient Lighting, Spare Wheel, Air Quality Sensor, 40 20 40 Seats. Power Convenience Pack

adam.nov

Re: Brake Fluid Change Help

Post by adam.nov » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:02 pm

Jaguar XE-R Sport 2.0 Petrol, Polaris White, Jet & Oyster, Meridian Sound System, Advanced Parking Pack, Privacy Glass, Electric Folding Mirrors, Configurable Ambient Lighting, Spare Wheel, Air Quality Sensor, 40 20 40 Seats. Power Convenience Pack

Phil

Post by Phil » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:51 pm

That type 200, although a good fluid, is too thick for the XE. You need a class 6 like the ATE SL6, or switch to less viscous DOT5.1 instead.

1000ml should be plenty for a complete replacement, though I tend to buy more and simply return any unopened bottles straight after. I don't like running out if I come across an awkward caliper that needs a bit more drawn through to bleed properly! But it's no use keeping it on the shelf either as it 'goes off'.

Phil

Post by Phil » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:56 pm

Jaguar specify this or any "low viscosity DOT 4 brake fluid meeting ISO 4925 Class 6"

adam.nov

Post by adam.nov » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:12 pm

Phil wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:56 pm
Jaguar specify this or any "low viscosity DOT 4 brake fluid meeting ISO 4925 Class 6"
Thanks Phil. Like the look of that fluid you linked to. Would there be a next step up or should I just got for the Shell one you linked?

Phil

Post by Phil » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:53 pm

I've had a quick look around and can't find anything with a significantly higher wet or dry boiling point that matches the low viscosity. It even beats a lot of the 5.1 fluids.

If it was a track car on which you were punishing the brakes to smoking point with the ABS disabled then it might be worth trading off a slightly thicker fluid for a higher dry boiling point. On a road car you would much sooner notice those little valves in the modulator struggling with syrupy fluid when you need them most!

You will cook the red stuff pads before the fluid boils anyway :)

adam.nov

Post by adam.nov » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:24 am

Phil wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:53 pm
I've had a quick look around and can't find anything with a significantly higher wet or dry boiling point that matches the low viscosity. It even beats a lot of the 5.1 fluids.

If it was a track car on which you were punishing the brakes to smoking point with the ABS disabled then it might be worth trading off a slightly thicker fluid for a higher dry boiling point. On a road car you would much sooner notice those little valves in the modulator struggling with syrupy fluid when you need them most!

You will cook the red stuff pads before the fluid boils anyway :)
Cheers Phil. Will get some on order👍🏼

Return to “Wheels, Tyres, Suspension”