Jaguar XE Forum banner

Michelin PS4s tyres

23K views 59 replies 20 participants last post by  spritely 
#1 ·
#4 ·
Have them on the XE, and nothing but positive things to say over here. A huge upgrade from the stock 19" all season tires. I'm a bit of a rubber aficionado, and you'd be pressed to do better in this category.

#5 ·
Any reason for wanting to change? I have almost the same set-up as you and I have been finding the Pirelli's a bit twitchy at the rear. Mine still have a bit to go before they will need replacing and I have been considering these Michelin tyres too.

#6 ·
mdem said:
UV Blue said:
Hi all,

I'm hearing exceptional reviews of this new tyre,

https://www.michelin.co.uk/tyres/michelin-pilot-sport-4-s

I've got Pirelli PZero's on mine and I may switch to these Michelin's when the time comes...

has anyone had any experience of Michelin PS4s?
Any reason for wanting to change? I have almost the same set-up as you and I have been finding the Pirelli's a bit twitchy at the rear. Mine still have a bit to go before they will need replacing and I have been considering these Michelin tyres too.
I agree the Pirelli's are 'twitchy' at the rear, on our rough UK roads they are noisy and they can 'tramline' - I think the PS4s would be a step up to a superior tyre. Just wanted to get peoples thoughts. My tyres are at present in good order so this is for the future.

#7 ·
I have about 19,000 km (12,000 miles) on mine and they still have plenty of tread left. So like you, not ready for replacement just yet.

#8 ·
BrendonSF said:
...I'm a bit of a rubber aficionado...
;)

Definitely feel a more planted tyre under load - a lot of us over on the F-Type forum swapped and I have nothing but praise for them - feel to have more grip in the cold and are more progressive. No twitchy rear now - well, unless provoked :D

They'll be going back on instead of my SottoZero 3's very soon now.

#9 ·
These tyres are engineered for V8 twin turbos and the like, cars with significantly higher power ratings. A huge bellyful of engine power is absorbed when these Michelins present their hugely reinforced carcasses and ultra load bearing tread construction towards cornering. Most of the humble Jaguar engine's power is thereby absorbed. I rest my case. Forty years experience in the performance car world, on and off track, and I've seen most things.

#10 ·
Have just replaced the p zero's on my S for a full set of ps4s and the difference it very noticeable,far grippier with less tramlineing and far quieter,also on a plus note the fronts offer better rim protection on the wheel(still not great but a lot better then the p zero's),they are expensive compared to the Pirelli's but as soon as I drove the car I knew it was money well sent

#11 ·
Rich xe said:
Have just replaced the p zero's on my S for a full set of ps4s and the difference it very noticeable,far grippier with less tramlineing and far quieter,also on a plus note the fronts offer better rim protection on the wheel(still not great but a lot better then the p zero's),they are expensive compared to the Pirelli's but as soon as I drove the car I knew it was money well sent
Thanks Rich xe,
that's just what I was hoping, interesting that they are quieter, guess you hear more engine than road now!! ...not a bad thing!
Post back your thoughts when you run them on a very wet road. Great about the rim protection. :D

#12 ·
Hi, I just ordered four PS4S for my Jaguar XE, 225/40/19 (front) & 255/35/19 (rear). I am curious about the ones on the front, there are 2 types (https://www.michelin.co.uk/auto/tyres/pilot-sport-4-s):

1. 225/40/R19 93 Y XL | * B (Wet)
2. 225/40/R19 93 ZR(Y) XL A (Wet)

I know the first ones (*) are for BMW. Will there be any issue fitting these? Or should I go for the second ones?

Thank you!

#13 ·
AAndrew said:
Hi, I just ordered four PS4S for my Jaguar XE, 225/40/19 (front) & 255/35/19 (rear). I am curious about the ones on the front, there are 2 types (https://www.michelin.co.uk/...

1. 225/40/R19 93 Y XL | * B (Wet)
2. 225/40/R19 93 ZR(Y) XL A (Wet)

I know the first ones (*) are for BMW. Will there be any issue fitting these? Or should I go for the second ones?

Thank you!
:?: ...not sure, I'd say the Y rating is the correct one but more tech folks on here maybe able to help you, I have 20" on mine, so I'm not familiar with the 19"...

#14 ·
UV Blue said:
:?: ...not sure, I'd say the Y rating is the correct one but more tech folks on here maybe able to help you, I have 20" on mine, so I'm not familiar with the 19"...
I think so too.
The sizes are the same and the load rating (XL) is the same as per the manual for 19" wheels.
The speed rating in the manual is "Y" so the first one fits the requirements exactly.
Don't worry about the tyre being for BMW, that just means BMW have tested it and recommend it for their cars.

#16 ·
AAndrew said:
I'll try to find those with better wet grip. If not, i'll just go with the first ones.
Thank you!
...when fitted can you post back with your review/impressions of the tyres? be useful for me and everybody on here, cheers :D

#18 ·
I finally went with PS4s 225/40 R19 93Y (front) & 255/35 R19 96Y (rear).

I got them for three months now and they perform very well. On wet, the grip is amazing and on dry the tires feel very soft and quiet, absorbing a lot of bumps. Before these I had the Dunlop Sport Maxx and I can tell that these are more comfortable and have better wet grip.
I would definitely recommend these tires.

I did a lot of documenting before purchasing them and a good resource for tire comparison is this website: http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk

#19 ·
Thanks for the update.

#20 ·
AAndrew said:
I finally went with PS4s 225/40 R19 93Y (front) & 255/35 R19 96Y (rear).

I got them for three months now and they perform very well. On wet, the grip is amazing and on dry the tires feel very soft and quiet, absorbing a lot of bumps. Before these I had the Dunlop Sport Maxx and I can tell that these are more comfortable and have better wet grip.
I would definitely recommend these tires.

I did a lot of documenting before purchasing them and a good resource for tire comparison is this website: http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk
I purchased a pair for the front when the originals came up for replacing and can echo your response. I think I'm right in saying though that Jaguar only endorse the Dunlops.

G
#21 ·
A point to consider. New tyres are softer so will appear to ride quieter. Also the obvious new tread will give better grip in all weathers due to the amount of rubber above the casing. As tyres get older they harden and obviously wear. This then makes the noise appear slowly and will not really be noticed until a new set is fitted. Having dumped a full set of Pirellis @5-6mm due to defects by way of damage I noticed a marked difference with a new set of new tyres of exactly the same make and style. I am also noticing that no cracking in the tread edges is evident as they were on the older age hardened set. The new set were made and fitted last year within 2 months from manufacture. I don't know how old the first set were but going by the battery age possibly anything up to 12 months before going into usage. The sun plays an enormous part in the way the tyre degrades with age.

#23 ·
Vespa said:
A point to consider. New tyres are softer so will appear to ride quieter. Also the obvious new tread will give better grip in all weathers due to the amount of rubber above the casing. As tyres get older they harden and obviously wear. This then makes the noise appear slowly and will not really be noticed until a new set is fitted. Having dumped a full set of Pirellis @5-6mm due to defects by way of damage I noticed a marked difference with a new set of new tyres of exactly the same make and style. I am also noticing that no cracking in the tread edges is evident as they were on the older age hardened set. The new set were made and fitted last year within 2 months from manufacture. I don't know how old the first set were but going by the battery age possibly anything up to 12 months before going into usage. The sun plays an enormous part in the way the tyre degrades with age.
The DOT code on the tyre wall tells you the week and year of manufacture. It is in the last 4 numbers of the DOT code. The first two are the week number and the next two are the year. So, 0119 is week 1 of 2019 for example.

#25 ·
I've put on a few miles now that I have PS4Ss fitted and I'm amazed at the levels of grip, they should have been the stock tyre! Not that I've timed it but I feel a noticeable difference when launching the car. Definitely would recommend

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.