Brake piston tool

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Faults and Fixes
Steeveyboy

Brake piston tool

Post by Steeveyboy » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:36 am

I have searched within the forum for exact information on winding back brake pistons and have found nothing so hopefully this will not get booted into the ether. I have purchased new discs and pads and have an mot coming up in 4 weeks. I am aware the pistons will need winding back in but for the life of me I cannot find/identify the tool and when you search online it is ALWAYS the XF that is referred to. Can someone answer the following questions if at all possible.
1. Where can I get the tool from or what does it even look like?
2. When winding back in is the near side clockwise/anti-clockwise
3. I know from this forum that you need to put the ignition into accessory mode to release the elctonic park brake but how long does it stay like that as if you sit there in the car in this mode without starting it shuts everything down after a few minutes and will cause mayhem if the rear discs are off at this point in time.
As warranties are coming to an end and more used XE's are sold there will be many people wanting to replace their brakes without having the vaseline treatment at the main dealers! I think we need a definitive 'how to' on this one. I will provide one if I can get the various bits of info needed along with step by step photos.
To understand something, you need to explain it to somebody else.

180PS portfolio with 4 wheels, a bonnet and a boot.

PhilB

Re: Brake piston tool

Post by PhilB » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:41 am

Topic on the various wind back tools here:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=5796

Some did say they didn't need a tool as they just pushed back in.
2019 Evoque P300 HSE - now gone awaiting the "Beast from the West" est end of 2021
2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.
2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

Steeveyboy

Post by Steeveyboy » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:36 am

Hmmmm thats very interesting Phil thanks. I have managed to find a bit of info on putting the EPB into maintenance mode of which it is in that right now and going to check in half an hour if it is still the case (trying to eliminate the EPB reactivating when my fingers might be in the vacinity). I don't suppose you know if whoever stated it pushes back that it is the case for both front and back? Some say you don't need it for the front but you need the tool for the rear?

Steeveyboy

Post by Steeveyboy » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:47 am

Just another quick question. When any of you have replaced your own pads/discs did you have to open the bleed nipple for the brake fluid when winding the piston back on the rear? If so how straight forward was this?
Thanks

Bazzamf

Post by Bazzamf » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:18 am

Steeveyboy wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:47 am
Just another quick question. When any of you have replaced your own pads/discs did you have to open the bleed nipple for the brake fluid when winding the piston back on the rear? If so how straight forward was this?
Thanks
Hi Steeveyboy, You should find that the brake fluid will be pushed back into the filler pot, so take the top off and watch out for it overflowing when winding in the pistons. There should be no need to open the bleed nipples.
Bazzamf - 2017 XE 200PS Petrol Ingenium Portfolio in Santorini Black

wdig

Post by wdig » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:31 am

Have read in the past that its best to let the fluid vent via the nipple than push back into the master cylinder as if there is any crap in the peripheral fluid it may get back centrally and could affect the abs module.
Wind back is only required where the handbrake works through the hydraulics. I found a wind back tool on fleabay with left and right winding options and multiple plates for engagement with the piston as there are a number of different dimensions. Heroes do it with a long nose pliers but I wouldn't recommend it as its difficult to push and wind and keep a grip at the same time.

Steeveyboy

Post by Steeveyboy » Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:20 pm

wdig wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:31 am
Have read in the past that its best to let the fluid vent via the nipple than push back into the master cylinder as if there is any crap in the peripheral fluid it may get back centrally and could affect the abs module.
Wind back is only required where the handbrake works through the hydraulics. I found a wind back tool on fleabay with left and right winding options and multiple plates for engagement with the piston as there are a number of different dimensions. Heroes do it with a long nose pliers but I wouldn't recommend it as its difficult to push and wind and keep a grip at the same time.
Thnks for that. I dont suppose you have a link to the tool?

Steeveyboy

Post by Steeveyboy » Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:28 pm

I have tried the following sequence of which works to release the EPB

' Ignition on, engine off:
Hold EPB switch in "off" position for two seconds, then, keeping it pressed, floor the accelerator for two seconds.
Holding both in the same position, quickly toggle ignition off then on - EPB goes to "service" or "maintenance" mode.
Turn ignition off and replace pads.

To reset afterwards - do the same thing but holding the EPB switch in the "on" position. '[/i]

but after a few minutes the car shuts down again and applies the EPB again. How long is this supposed to stay in maintenance mode as I need to change the rear pads and discs?

wdig

Post by wdig » Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:52 pm

Re tool - I'm not much of an ebayer and can't see my purchase history. However if you enter "universal wind back tool kit" there are numerous on offer in plastic cases - mine was red - with 2 winding tools and myriads of discs with different spacings for the drive spigots - mostly uk and free delivery - prices vary but I paid around 16 quid iirc. I had an original single tool for my Accord which I thought would be universal at least for Honda but had to buy the kit as the daughter's Civic had smaller spacing for the spigots.

glcohen

Post by glcohen » Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:07 pm

Laser tools say that model 5751 is suitable (https://www.lasertools.co.uk/product/5751).
I have bought one but have not yet had a chance to use it because my pads are lasting really well.
XE 2.0 Prestige 20T Auto (MY 2017) , Rhodium Silver with Oyster interior, Gloss figured ebony veneer, Split rear Seat, Park Assist and surround camera pack, Power fold and dimming mirrors, Space saver spare wheel.