Brake piston tool

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Faults and Fixes
Mikeyjd

Re: Brake piston tool

Post by Mikeyjd » Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:26 pm

I bought a similar tool in Halfords a while back. When I was changing the brakes in my wife car.
2018MY R Sport. 25D AWD. Corris Grey - Meridian, Black pack, Parking pack, Folding Rear Seats, plus loads of extras.

Bazzamf

Post by Bazzamf » Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:03 pm

glcohen wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:07 pm
Laser tools say that model 5751 is suitable (https://www.lasertools.co.uk/product/5751).
I have bought one but have not yet had a chance to use it because my pads are lasting really well.
This looks a really good tool. I like the left and right handed thread arrangement. The only thing you need to know is which way round to turn the piston. i.e. left or right. I bought a much cheaper tool than this a few years ago, when I did daft things like changing pads and discs myself and had to decide whether to buy a left or right threaded tool.
Bazzamf - 2017 XE 200PS Petrol Ingenium Portfolio in Santorini Black

Steeveyboy

Post by Steeveyboy » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:33 am

wdig wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:52 pm
Re tool - I'm not much of an ebayer and can't see my purchase history. However if you enter "universal wind back tool kit" there are numerous on offer in plastic cases - mine was red - with 2 winding tools and myriads of discs with different spacings for the drive spigots - mostly uk and free delivery - prices vary but I paid around 16 quid iirc. I had an original single tool for my Accord which I thought would be universal at least for Honda but had to buy the kit as the daughter's Civic had smaller spacing for the spigots.
Brilliant thanks for this
To understand something, you need to explain it to somebody else.

180PS portfolio with 4 wheels, a bonnet and a boot.

Steeveyboy

Post by Steeveyboy » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:34 am

Bazzamf wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:03 pm
glcohen wrote:
Laser tools say that model 5751 is suitable (https://www.lasertools.co.uk/product/5751).
I have bought one but have not yet had a chance to use it because my pads are lasting really well.
This looks a really good tool. I like the left and right handed thread arrangement. The only thing you need to know is which way round to turn the piston. i.e. left or right. I bought a much cheaper tool than this a few years ago, when I did daft things like changing pads and discs myself and had to decide whether to buy a left or right threaded tool.
Dont suppose you know which needs winding left/right?

Steeveyboy

EPB maintenance mode

Post by Steeveyboy » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:13 am

Hi I have tried desperately to find out how to disable the EPB in order to replace the rear brake discs and pads with an mot due in 9 days time. I have followed the advice of some helpful people on here but the problem is as follows...
I press the ignition on but not the engine (this is maintenance/accessory mode)
press and hold down the epb button for 2 seconds (2 bleeps are heard)
Whilst keeping it down floor the accelerator for 2 seconds (no bleep is heard)
Keeping finger and foot on button and pedal still, turn ignition off then on and this is then the maintenance mode (do the reverse to get it back to normal). I can rock the car forward and back as the epb is off (I initially turned the car on for this as I had to put it in neutral)
I then left it for 10 minutes but the car had shut down and reapplied the epb
I did it all again and left the keys in the car so they were in communication but the car shut down again?
On both occasions when I tried starting the car again a warning came up on the dash saying it was still in maintenanace mode so obviously the sequence works BUT with it shutting down so quickly I will not have enough time to replace the discs without either losing my fingers or the epb activatin when there is no brake disc on....either way havoc!
Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong or at least how to stop the damned thing from shutting down when it is in maintenance mode? :( :( :(

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:26 am

Rather than start a new topic, I've moved your post to your existing topic on the same subject.
2019 Evoque P300 HSE - now gone awaiting the "Beast from the West" est end of 2021
2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.
2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

BRC

Post by BRC » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:22 am

Hope this helps identify how to activate the EPB.
G1822067-G1891332.pdf
(41.1 KiB) Downloaded 118 times
XE Portfolio now replaced by an XF R Sport and a Z4 garage queen!

Pete McK

Post by Pete McK » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:08 pm

Ignition on, engine off.
Pull handbrake switch off and hold in off position.
Press stop/start button to switch ignition off.
Release handbrake switch after a couple of seconds.

Handbrake won't auto re-apply.
Just take care and avoid 'line of fire' with fingers and brake pistons.
Pete.
'17 XE 180d, Caesium blue.

Bazzamf

Post by Bazzamf » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:26 pm

Steeveyboy wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:34 am
Bazzamf wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:03 pm
glcohen wrote:
Dont suppose you know which needs winding left/right?
I wish I could help you Steeveyboy but I don't know the answer. Perhaps someone on the forum can tell you which way to turn the brake piston. I found this on YouTube, it's for the XF, but it may be useful for the rest of the job. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyETtzM2veY
Bazzamf - 2017 XE 200PS Petrol Ingenium Portfolio in Santorini Black

Pete McK

Post by Pete McK » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:29 pm

Pete.
'17 XE 180d, Caesium blue.