Brake piston tool

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Faults and Fixes
wdig

Re: Brake piston tool

Post by wdig » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:37 pm

Just a thought from the previous post and the illustration from halfords - showing a 7mm allen key as "bought with"- not sure of the Jaguar arrangement but on the Honda the allen socket of the slide pins was indeed 7mm. I have a good selection of allen keys but the sets seem to skip between 6mm and 8mm so I had to decamp in mid job and buy an expensive set from Machine Mart to complete the job.

147daytona

Post by 147daytona » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:40 pm

I just ground an 8mm down a bit on each flat 8-)
MY20 Carpathian Grey 300 R-Dynamic HSE AWD + loads of extras!
Previous, MY17 Italian Racing Red 240 R-Sport

Pete McK

Post by Pete McK » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:58 am

wdig wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:37 pm
Just a thought from the previous post and the illustration from halfords - showing a 7mm allen key as "bought with"- not sure of the Jaguar arrangement but on the Honda the allen socket of the slide pins was indeed 7mm. I have a good selection of allen keys but the sets seem to skip between 6mm and 8mm so I had to decamp in mid job and buy an expensive set from Machine Mart to complete the job.
Yes - needs a 7mm Allen key.
Pete.
'17 XE 180d, Caesium blue.

Mike Rometer

Post by Mike Rometer » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:00 am

wdig wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:37 pm
Shoulda gone to Spec-sa - - - -. A proper tool supply shop who would have sold you one 7mm Allen Key, for the use of, and not expensive.

7mm is a strugg size in normal sets, but easily available separately.
Jag No 3. 2 Litre petrol Prestige 200. Italian Racing Red. 65 plate

My other vehicle is coal fired. 8-) (very lo-tech)

wdig

Post by wdig » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:22 pm

Not sure where previous poster resides but in an area without many small engineering workshops the concept of a "tool shop" is something of the past. Individual items like allen keys are readily available on the web for little money - however most places like halfords and machine mart only keep them in sets and these mostly seem to miss out on 7mm.
With the car partly dismantled I chose to pay over the odds rather than reassemble and await the post.
At least I know now my 7mm will fit the XE when the time comes.

About the windback tool do check compatibility as when I found my existing tool had the wrong spacing a trip round all the usual suspects found they were all identical to the one I had.
Were I now starting from scratch I would probably get the one mentioned above with the clever adjustable spigot spacing

Mike Rometer

Post by Mike Rometer » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:42 pm

wdig wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:22 pm
Not sure where previous poster resides but in an area without many small engineering workshops the concept of a "tool shop" is something of the past. Individual items like allen keys are readily available on the web for little money - however most places like halfords and machine mart only keep them in sets and these mostly seem to miss out on 7mm.
With the car partly dismantled I chose to pay over the odds rather than reassemble and await the post.
At least I know now my 7mm will fit the XE when the time comes.

About the windback tool do check compatibility as when I found my existing tool had the wrong spacing a trip round all the usual suspects found they were all identical to the one I had.
Were I now starting from scratch I would probably get the one mentioned above with the clever adjustable spigot spacing
Try the likes of Cromwells (other Cos do exist) they have depots country wide. Yes I do deal with that sort of place, though no longer on a daily basis and I do admit they will not be found on the usual High Street, you do need to look for them.

wdig

Post by wdig » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:00 pm

Yes - did their search and we are midway between Bristol and Birmingham branches. I well remember that sort of place years ago but am afraid they will only be in big conurbations with an engineering bent nowadays.
The internet is very good for picking up obscure tools (crow foot spanners for example) but not much help if the need is urgent.

Mike Rometer

Post by Mike Rometer » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:08 pm

These are also very good, https://www.screwfix.com/p/teng-tools-t ... -7mm/4338x if a tad more expensive.

Steeveyboy

Post by Steeveyboy » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:12 am

Bazzamf wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:26 pm
Steeveyboy wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:34 am
Bazzamf wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:03 pm

This looks a really good tool. I like the left and right handed thread arrangement. The only thing you need to know is which way round to turn the piston. i.e. left or right. I bought a much cheaper tool than this a few years ago, when I did daft things like changing pads and discs myself and had to decide whether to buy a left or right threaded tool.
Dont suppose you know which needs winding left/right?
I wish I could help you Steeveyboy but I don't know the answer. Perhaps someone on the forum can tell you which way to turn the brake piston. I found this on YouTube, it's for the XF, but it may be useful for the rest of the job. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyETtzM2veY
Thanks Bazza
To understand something, you need to explain it to somebody else.

180PS portfolio with 4 wheels, a bonnet and a boot.

Steeveyboy

Post by Steeveyboy » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:17 am

BRC wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:22 am
Hope this helps identify how to activate the EPB.
G1822067-G1891332.pdf
Superb! Really appreciate the confirmation. I take it that when the car shuts down whilst in this mode it does not activate the epb? No doubt will find that out very shortly!
To understand something, you need to explain it to somebody else.

180PS portfolio with 4 wheels, a bonnet and a boot.