Brake piston tool

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Faults and Fixes
Marks_DTM

Re: Brake piston tool

Post by Marks_DTM » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:41 pm

You don't need to wind the pistons, you can just push them in (I always advise cracking the bleed nipples when doing this as it gets rid of the old fluid, makes it easier to do and removes any potential risk damage to the master cylinder seals)
Drives - Velar HSE 240D and 2019MY XE Landmark 20T - Cold Climate Pack - Adaptive Headlights - Power Boot - Memory seat pack - Folding and dimming door mirrors - Heated Rear Seats - Spare Wheel

Bazzamf

Post by Bazzamf » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:49 pm

Marks_DTM wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:41 pm
You don't need to wind the pistons, you can just push them in (I always advise cracking the bleed nipples when doing this as it gets rid of the old fluid, makes it easier to do and removes any potential risk damage to the master cylinder seals)
Are you sure about this Marks_DTM? I know that the front ones can normally be pressed back in but the rear's are normally screwed back. The reason it is screwed is that it is part of the hand brake mechanism.
Bazzamf - 2017 XE 200PS Petrol Ingenium Portfolio in Santorini Black

Marks_DTM

Post by Marks_DTM » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:41 am

Bazzamf wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:49 pm
Marks_DTM wrote:
Are you sure about this Marks_DTM? I know that the front ones can normally be pressed back in but the rear's are normally screwed back. The reason it is screwed is that it is part of the hand brake mechanism.
On a setup where the handbrake self adjustment is mechanical as per older setups then yes, they are wind in (as that winds back the manual adjustment), the XE has a servo unit on the calliper and does the adjustment electrically.....hence you put the park brake in service mode, this retracts the park brake actuator and the piston is free to be pressed in (you will note also, Topix makes no reference to special tooling)
Drives - Velar HSE 240D and 2019MY XE Landmark 20T - Cold Climate Pack - Adaptive Headlights - Power Boot - Memory seat pack - Folding and dimming door mirrors - Heated Rear Seats - Spare Wheel

Bazzamf

Post by Bazzamf » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:38 pm

Marks_DTM wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:41 am
Bazzamf wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:49 pm
Marks_DTM wrote:
On a setup where the handbrake self adjustment is mechanical as per older setups then yes, they are wind in (as that winds back the manual adjustment), the XE has a servo unit on the calliper and does the adjustment electrically.....hence you put the park brake in service mode, this retracts the park brake actuator and the piston is free to be pressed in (you will note also, Topix makes no reference to special tooling)
Thanks for the update Marks_DTM, we certainly live and learn. It's interesting people on here are going on about the rewind tool for the rear brakes when clearly it seems that they are not required.
Bazzamf - 2017 XE 200PS Petrol Ingenium Portfolio in Santorini Black

Marks_DTM

Post by Marks_DTM » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:13 am

Its probably assumed learning as that's pretty much the standard approach for rear callipers which also act as the handbrake, Topix is very clear (and I have actually done this job on an X260 XF and X760 XE):

Rear_Brake_Piston.JPG

ColinK

Post by ColinK » Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:06 pm

Marks_DTM wrote:

"Push the brake caliper piston back".

Unfortunately I could not move the piston even with a G Cramp and 6" Vice Grips, with bleeding nipple loosened, and confirmed that fluid was released.

I have temporarily given up and replaced the original pads (not fully worn).

I have changed lots of pads and discs over the years but never on vehicles which needed a piston winding tool. Usually I just push the piston back with a screwdriver without loosening the nipple.

I know that the caliper design on the XE does not offer leverage for a screwdriver to push back and hence, assuming a piston winding tool is not required then a G Cramp is necessary.

If these brakes do not need a winding tool I will need to find a Cramp that I can attach a bar to give much more leverage.

Prior to this attempt there were no brakes issues (no siezed discs or pistons), only changing discs as they have a lot of rust and uneven wear.

Marks_DTM, I would appreciate if you could look at the attached 2 photos and confirm that they are the XE / X760 that you worked on have the same calipers and pistons as my daughters car or if these are different and require a piston winding tool.

Thanks ColinK
2015 XE R-Sport 2.0D X760

IMG_20190420_141308.jpg

IMG_20190420_141257.jpg

Indianajons

Post by Indianajons » Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:28 pm

Doesn’t look too healthy to me 🤕
2017 MY tempest grey Portfolio 180D, folding mirrors, 14 way seats, memory pack, cold weather pack, 360 parking, wi-fi hotspot

Pete McK

Post by Pete McK » Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:24 pm

ColinK wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:06 pm
Marks_DTM wrote:

"Push the brake caliper piston back".
Those look the same as my 2017 XE 180D. I did wind mine back in as I have the tool, it fits and it isn't going to do any damage - plus it's a lot easier.

Mine wound in very easily though, hardly any resistance.
ColinK wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:06 pm
Marks_DTM wrote:

I have changed lots of pads and discs over the years but never on vehicles which needed a piston winding tool. Usually I just push the piston back with a screwdriver without loosening the nipple.
I've worked on quite a few over the last 35 years and found most with rear discs have a screw setup inside the rear caliper piston for the handbrake actuation. They do generally need winding in.
Pete.
'17 XE 180d, Caesium blue.

Mike Rometer

Post by Mike Rometer » Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:03 pm

Is this a wind up?

:twisted: :lol: :twisted:
Jag No 3. 2 Litre petrol Prestige 200. Italian Racing Red. 65 plate

My other vehicle is coal fired. 8-) (very lo-tech)

ColinK

Post by ColinK » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:55 pm

@indianajons
Brakes worked perfectly before and after my attempts. Whatever it looks like the piston is not seized.

@Pete McK
As I said I have never worked on brakes that needed piston wound in. You say "it's a lot easier", does this mean that wind in Pistons can be pushed in? I assumed it would by push OR wind.
Do both rears wind in same direction either clockwise or anti clockwise?
In reflection I have not done many rear discs, so maybe part of the reason I have never wound Pistons in.

@mike Romster
Is this just a sarcastic or funny comment or do you think me or someone else is writing just to get a laugh?