Brake piston tool

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Faults and Fixes
PhilB

Re: Brake piston tool

Post by PhilB » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:43 am

ColinK wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:55 pm
@mike Romster
Is this just a sarcastic or funny comment or do you think me or someone else is writing just to get a laugh?
I think it's pretty obvious he was joking by the content and use of emojis.
:D
2019 Evoque P300 HSE - now gone awaiting the "Beast from the West" est end of 2021
2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.
2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

Deleted User 732

Post by Deleted User 732 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:54 am

Modern brakes need winding the piston back and the tool is the best way. I have done it without the tooling but it's much easier with. One of those items you may buy and use once.

Pete McK

Post by Pete McK » Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:58 pm

ColinK wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:55 pm

@Pete McK
As I said I have never worked on brakes that needed piston wound in. You say "it's a lot easier", does this mean that wind in Pistons can be pushed in? I assumed it would by push OR wind.
Do both rears wind in same direction either clockwise or anti clockwise?
In reflection I have not done many rear discs, so maybe part of the reason I have never wound Pistons in.
Wind-in pistons do really need to be wound back in. The info suggests you should be able to push the Jag pistons back in but I prefer to use the tool if possible, then you know you're pushing evenly and squarely.
Pete.
'17 XE 180d, Caesium blue.

wdig

Post by wdig » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:31 am

Am following this thread with interest although hopefully I am a couple of years away from having to do my own pads. Interesting that the wind back is not needed but looking at the posted pics of the caliper piston the 2 indents at the periphery of the piston look suspiciously like the engagement points for the pins on the wind back tool I have used on other cars.

ColinK

Post by ColinK » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:46 pm

@Marks_DTM Seems to have worked on an XE that did not need the pistons wound back, but all other posts seem to imply that they need would back or "better" to wind back.

I assume pistons are either wind back (with some pushing) OR push back (cannot be both) but I am happy to be told I am wrong.

After trying to push with a G Cramp and reading this thread I am sure my daughters pistons need wound back.

I will order a piston winding kit similar to the one suggested in this thread (will be useful for other cars as well) and report back after I have completed (hopefully) the work next week.

@wdig I think you will find that you need to replace rear pads or pads and discs first. As many have reported rears wear out quicker than fronts - I presume due to the hill assist feature. Many report needing discs or pads at very low mileages.

My daughters car R-Sport D) has 30k on it, I assume discs or pads were not fitted before she got it at 15K. Rear pads have about 3.5mm remaining but the discs are badly rusted all over. Front discs are rusted on the outside 10mm and pads have at least 6mm remaining.

ColinK

j.a.mcguire

Post by j.a.mcguire » Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:05 pm

Just to confirm, you do not need the piston winding tool to complete this job. Ensure the Electronic Parking Brake has been placed into Service Mode, take the lid off the brake fluid reservoir and then you can compress the brake piston back into the cylinder with minimal effort.

You probably don't want to use a g-clamp for this job as the brake caliper has a plastic housing on the back holding the electronics, so you'd probably end up crushing these with a regular g-clamp, this is where the rewind tool does come in handy, although it's not required, it operates inside the caliper housing and is perfectly shaped for the job.

Wolfie1

Post by Wolfie1 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:29 am

Before you unbolt the caliper from the caliper carrier put a prybar between the pad and the disc and push the piston back

Wastegate84

Post by Wastegate84 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:34 am

Wolfie1 wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:29 am
Before you unbolt the caliper from the caliper carrier put a prybar between the pad and the disc and push the piston back
Slacken the bleed nipple first as you don't want fluid going backwards through the master cylinder.
2015 XE Prestige 20d 163 Bluefire

Wolfie1

Post by Wolfie1 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:40 am

Wastegate84 wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:34 am
Wolfie1 wrote:
Slacken the bleed nipple first as you don't want fluid going backwards through the master cylinder.
Never done this before in 28 years and never had a problem, never seen anybody else do this before in this time too but have heard of this story before over the years

Indianajons

Post by Indianajons » Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:24 am

Wolfie1 wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:40 am
Wastegate84 wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:34 am
Wolfie1 wrote:
Never done this before in 28 years and never had a problem, never seen anybody else do this before in this time too but have heard of this story before over the years
+1 and must’ve done it at least forty times over the years (ie ten complete sets of shoes/pads)
2017 MY tempest grey Portfolio 180D, folding mirrors, 14 way seats, memory pack, cold weather pack, 360 parking, wi-fi hotspot