Jaguar XE Forum banner

Brake piston tool

20K views 57 replies 18 participants last post by  KJW 
#1 ·
I have searched within the forum for exact information on winding back brake pistons and have found nothing so hopefully this will not get booted into the ether. I have purchased new discs and pads and have an mot coming up in 4 weeks. I am aware the pistons will need winding back in but for the life of me I cannot find/identify the tool and when you search online it is ALWAYS the XF that is referred to. Can someone answer the following questions if at all possible.
1. Where can I get the tool from or what does it even look like?
2. When winding back in is the near side clockwise/anti-clockwise
3. I know from this forum that you need to put the ignition into accessory mode to release the elctonic park brake but how long does it stay like that as if you sit there in the car in this mode without starting it shuts everything down after a few minutes and will cause mayhem if the rear discs are off at this point in time.
As warranties are coming to an end and more used XE's are sold there will be many people wanting to replace their brakes without having the vaseline treatment at the main dealers! I think we need a definitive 'how to' on this one. I will provide one if I can get the various bits of info needed along with step by step photos.

#3 ·
Hmmmm thats very interesting Phil thanks. I have managed to find a bit of info on putting the EPB into maintenance mode of which it is in that right now and going to check in half an hour if it is still the case (trying to eliminate the EPB reactivating when my fingers might be in the vacinity). I don't suppose you know if whoever stated it pushes back that it is the case for both front and back? Some say you don't need it for the front but you need the tool for the rear?

#4 ·
Just another quick question. When any of you have replaced your own pads/discs did you have to open the bleed nipple for the brake fluid when winding the piston back on the rear? If so how straight forward was this?
Thanks

#5 ·
Steeveyboy said:
Just another quick question. When any of you have replaced your own pads/discs did you have to open the bleed nipple for the brake fluid when winding the piston back on the rear? If so how straight forward was this?
Thanks
Hi Steeveyboy, You should find that the brake fluid will be pushed back into the filler pot, so take the top off and watch out for it overflowing when winding in the pistons. There should be no need to open the bleed nipples.

#6 ·
Have read in the past that its best to let the fluid vent via the nipple than push back into the master cylinder as if there is any crap in the peripheral fluid it may get back centrally and could affect the abs module.
Wind back is only required where the handbrake works through the hydraulics. I found a wind back tool on fleabay with left and right winding options and multiple plates for engagement with the piston as there are a number of different dimensions. Heroes do it with a long nose pliers but I wouldn't recommend it as its difficult to push and wind and keep a grip at the same time.

#7 ·
wdig said:
Have read in the past that its best to let the fluid vent via the nipple than push back into the master cylinder as if there is any crap in the peripheral fluid it may get back centrally and could affect the abs module.
Wind back is only required where the handbrake works through the hydraulics. I found a wind back tool on fleabay with left and right winding options and multiple plates for engagement with the piston as there are a number of different dimensions. Heroes do it with a long nose pliers but I wouldn't recommend it as its difficult to push and wind and keep a grip at the same time.
Thnks for that. I dont suppose you have a link to the tool?

#8 ·
I have tried the following sequence of which works to release the EPB

' Ignition on, engine off:
Hold EPB switch in "off" position for two seconds, then, keeping it pressed, floor the accelerator for two seconds.
Holding both in the same position, quickly toggle ignition off then on - EPB goes to "service" or "maintenance" mode.
Turn ignition off and replace pads.

To reset afterwards - do the same thing but holding the EPB switch in the "on" position. '[/i]

but after a few minutes the car shuts down again and applies the EPB again. How long is this supposed to stay in maintenance mode as I need to change the rear pads and discs?

#9 ·
Re tool - I'm not much of an ebayer and can't see my purchase history. However if you enter "universal wind back tool kit" there are numerous on offer in plastic cases - mine was red - with 2 winding tools and myriads of discs with different spacings for the drive spigots - mostly uk and free delivery - prices vary but I paid around 16 quid iirc. I had an original single tool for my Accord which I thought would be universal at least for Honda but had to buy the kit as the daughter's Civic had smaller spacing for the spigots.

#10 ·
#12 ·
glcohen said:
Laser tools say that model 5751 is suitable (https://www.lasertools.co.uk/product/5751).
I have bought one but have not yet had a chance to use it because my pads are lasting really well.
This looks a really good tool. I like the left and right handed thread arrangement. The only thing you need to know is which way round to turn the piston. i.e. left or right. I bought a much cheaper tool than this a few years ago, when I did daft things like changing pads and discs myself and had to decide whether to buy a left or right threaded tool.

#13 ·
wdig said:
Re tool - I'm not much of an ebayer and can't see my purchase history. However if you enter "universal wind back tool kit" there are numerous on offer in plastic cases - mine was red - with 2 winding tools and myriads of discs with different spacings for the drive spigots - mostly uk and free delivery - prices vary but I paid around 16 quid iirc. I had an original single tool for my Accord which I thought would be universal at least for Honda but had to buy the kit as the daughter's Civic had smaller spacing for the spigots.
Brilliant thanks for this

#14 ·
Bazzamf said:
glcohen said:
Laser tools say that model 5751 is suitable (https://www.lasertools.co.uk/product/5751).
I have bought one but have not yet had a chance to use it because my pads are lasting really well.
This looks a really good tool. I like the left and right handed thread arrangement. The only thing you need to know is which way round to turn the piston. i.e. left or right. I bought a much cheaper tool than this a few years ago, when I did daft things like changing pads and discs myself and had to decide whether to buy a left or right threaded tool.
Dont suppose you know which needs winding left/right?

#15 ·
Hi I have tried desperately to find out how to disable the EPB in order to replace the rear brake discs and pads with an mot due in 9 days time. I have followed the advice of some helpful people on here but the problem is as follows...
I press the ignition on but not the engine (this is maintenance/accessory mode)
press and hold down the epb button for 2 seconds (2 bleeps are heard)
Whilst keeping it down floor the accelerator for 2 seconds (no bleep is heard)
Keeping finger and foot on button and pedal still, turn ignition off then on and this is then the maintenance mode (do the reverse to get it back to normal). I can rock the car forward and back as the epb is off (I initially turned the car on for this as I had to put it in neutral)
I then left it for 10 minutes but the car had shut down and reapplied the epb
I did it all again and left the keys in the car so they were in communication but the car shut down again?
On both occasions when I tried starting the car again a warning came up on the dash saying it was still in maintenanace mode so obviously the sequence works BUT with it shutting down so quickly I will not have enough time to replace the discs without either losing my fingers or the epb activatin when there is no brake disc on....either way havoc!
Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong or at least how to stop the damned thing from shutting down when it is in maintenance mode? :( :( :(

#18 ·
Ignition on, engine off.
Pull handbrake switch off and hold in off position.
Press stop/start button to switch ignition off.
Release handbrake switch after a couple of seconds.

Handbrake won't auto re-apply.
Just take care and avoid 'line of fire' with fingers and brake pistons.

#19 ·
Steeveyboy said:
Bazzamf said:
glcohen said:
Dont suppose you know which needs winding left/right?
I wish I could help you Steeveyboy but I don't know the answer. Perhaps someone on the forum can tell you which way to turn the brake piston. I found this on YouTube, it's for the XF, but it may be useful for the rest of the job.

#21 ·
Just a thought from the previous post and the illustration from halfords - showing a 7mm allen key as "bought with"- not sure of the Jaguar arrangement but on the Honda the allen socket of the slide pins was indeed 7mm. I have a good selection of allen keys but the sets seem to skip between 6mm and 8mm so I had to decamp in mid job and buy an expensive set from Machine Mart to complete the job.

#23 ·
wdig said:
Just a thought from the previous post and the illustration from halfords - showing a 7mm allen key as "bought with"- not sure of the Jaguar arrangement but on the Honda the allen socket of the slide pins was indeed 7mm. I have a good selection of allen keys but the sets seem to skip between 6mm and 8mm so I had to decamp in mid job and buy an expensive set from Machine Mart to complete the job.
Yes - needs a 7mm Allen key.

#24 ·
wdig said:
Shoulda gone to Spec-sa - - - -. A proper tool supply shop who would have sold you one 7mm Allen Key, for the use of, and not expensive.

7mm is a strugg size in normal sets, but easily available separately.

#25 ·
Not sure where previous poster resides but in an area without many small engineering workshops the concept of a "tool shop" is something of the past. Individual items like allen keys are readily available on the web for little money - however most places like halfords and machine mart only keep them in sets and these mostly seem to miss out on 7mm.
With the car partly dismantled I chose to pay over the odds rather than reassemble and await the post.
At least I know now my 7mm will fit the XE when the time comes.

About the windback tool do check compatibility as when I found my existing tool had the wrong spacing a trip round all the usual suspects found they were all identical to the one I had.
Were I now starting from scratch I would probably get the one mentioned above with the clever adjustable spigot spacing

#26 ·
wdig said:
Not sure where previous poster resides but in an area without many small engineering workshops the concept of a "tool shop" is something of the past. Individual items like allen keys are readily available on the web for little money - however most places like halfords and machine mart only keep them in sets and these mostly seem to miss out on 7mm.
With the car partly dismantled I chose to pay over the odds rather than reassemble and await the post.
At least I know now my 7mm will fit the XE when the time comes.

About the windback tool do check compatibility as when I found my existing tool had the wrong spacing a trip round all the usual suspects found they were all identical to the one I had.
Were I now starting from scratch I would probably get the one mentioned above with the clever adjustable spigot spacing
Try the likes of Cromwells (other Cos do exist) they have depots country wide. Yes I do deal with that sort of place, though no longer on a daily basis and I do admit they will not be found on the usual High Street, you do need to look for them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.