Pads and discs at 20k?

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Faults and Fixes
xecdf

Pads and discs at 20k?

Post by xecdf » Thu May 09, 2019 10:59 am

Hello,

I will introduce myself properly shortly. Just been called by my dealer to say the ads and discs on my diesel R Sport need replacing. Apparently discs are badly corroded. I have had no warning lights and 20k and 15 months strikes me as being very early. Am I wrong?

I have done most of my miles on the motorway if that is relevant.

Along with first service I am looking at £1,500. Pretty annoyed right now.

BRC

Re: Pads and discs at 20k?

Post by BRC » Thu May 09, 2019 12:13 pm

Sounds like a very unwelcome surprise given the mileage and the driving conditions that took you there. Bit of a theme going through numerous threads in regards what most would consider premature disc wear/corrosion. Given that size of the would be bill and without knowing the age of the car, I for one would be highly tempted (if not already persuaded) to take it to a trusted indie who will almost certainly charge considerably less.
Replacing both the discs and pads should not be beyond the ability of any competent mechanic.

Edit: Just seen your other post and that the car is a 2018 model. By definition I would have thought the car must be in regular use and therefore corrosion really shouldn't be a problem. It's concievable the pads may need changing but the disc - no, not by any stretch of the imagination!
XE Portfolio as a daily driver and Z4 because I still can!

Milfordman

Post by Milfordman » Thu May 09, 2019 1:02 pm

I'm in the same boat, sort of. Had my car serviced 3 months ago (service plan). They flagged up the rear discs severly corroded. They said new pads and discs. I have had the car from new and it was under two years old with 20,500 miles on the clock. I said it would be done under waranty then. They said wear and tear! They said it was marked as an amber warning and would wait untill next year. I have had a lot of cars over the years and never needed to replace discs after 24 months.

Regards John
XE PRESTIGE 2.0 i4 200PS. British Racing Green, Latte Leather, Electric Seats, Folding Mirrors, Lumbar Support, Meridian 380W, Satin Burr Ash veneer, Folding Seats, 18" Alloy space saver spare wheel, Configurable mood lighting and Parking Pack.

capese21

Post by capese21 » Thu May 09, 2019 4:26 pm

While I was waiting for my 30k service I was told by a video sent to my mobile that the discs were shot.

My XE is an approved used so I asked for them to be changed under the warranty.

Initially they politely said "wear & tear" I wasnt in the mood for an argument so left it.

After 10 minutes or so the service manager introduced himself and said they had had a change of mind and agreed to change all 4 discs & pads FOC.

The quality of the new discs is much better that the originlas. The non contact parts look powder coated. The pads are made by ATE / Jaguar OEM.

imho Jaguar had a faulty batch of discs and they know it!!

Is your XE under warranty? & what age?
XE Indus Silver 2.0L Ford engine Heated front screen Reverse camera Blind spot warning.

DavidW

Post by DavidW » Thu May 09, 2019 5:19 pm

Rusty\corroded discs are a common complaint on various JLR forums (do a search on the Disco Sport forum for example searching under faults brings up 45 pages of comments). The discs on my XE were not good with bands of putting on them, hadn’t got quite to the point of changing them at 27k miles though and the I traded it in. My neighbours were the same on his XE.

I suspect JLR have had a major batch of sub standard discs so it might be worth pushing them under warranty or at least for a contribution towards the cost of replacement.

Edit: the discs on my XF are obviously a far better quality as they are on my neighbours new XE.

Cheers
Current XF RSport 180 MY19 in Corris Grey (no heated steering wheel :o )

Previous XE R-Sport 180 (MY 16) in Odyssey Red, cold climate pack, rear parking camera, wifi hotspot, electric seats, splash guards and a detachable tow bar

Jay

Post by Jay » Thu May 09, 2019 5:49 pm

Mine are just starting to show some corrosion on the rear disks and have obvious scoring. I was expecting to be told that new discs were required at the recent service but the mechanic said it's not a problem. It will be if they continue to deteriorate I'd imagine. 17k miles over 22 months
XE R-Sport 2.0D 180 Auto. MY17 Santorini Black.

Mike Rometer

Post by Mike Rometer » Thu May 09, 2019 5:59 pm

The factory front pads on my last X-Type lasted to 63,000 miles (original discs)! New pads AND discs suggested on my XE at 6500????????? Not a chance in Hades at nearly £1000. The dealer will NOT get the work, if I decide to have it done. Disc skimming is a distinct possibility as an alternative.
Apparently most discs will stand at least one skimming, something the Dealers fail to tell you (I wonder why?).
Jag No 3. 2 Litre petrol Prestige 200. Italian Racing Red. 65 plate

My other vehicle is coal fired. 8-) (very lo-tech)

foxy66

Post by foxy66 » Thu May 09, 2019 6:17 pm

Hi,
My 2015 180 RSport diesel went in last May for it's 1st MOT, mileage at 14,000 and I mentioned that the discs were showing signs of grooving, this was at Guy Salmon Stockport who I cannot fault as they emailed me to say the discs and pads would be replaced under warranty for rust, FOC, so Jaguar must have a problem with rusty discs, so press the dealer for them to be replaced under warranty either the manufacturers 3 year warranty or the 2 year approved warranty. Whatever applies. Also they replaced the Aircon Condenser at the same time FOC under Warranty. Hope this helps.
2015 Jaguar XE R Sport(180) Auto in Rhodium Silver, Jet Leather, Cold Climate Pack, Rear view Camera, Front facing Camera, Electric 10 x 10 way front seats, WiFi Hotspot.

UV Blue

Post by UV Blue » Fri May 10, 2019 9:30 am

I've just had my second service and flagged up uneven wear and rusting on the discs - I'm at 13.5k miles. They said it was normal and nothing of concern. Not so sure myself, there's a permanent 5mm of rust around the perimeter and the disc surfaces have a ripple feel. I find myself looking at other cars and by comparison the Jag's look poor.

DSCF5248.JPG

back

DSCF5247.JPG

front

Jaguar XE-S / 3.0L Supercharged V6 380bhp / Ultimate Black / 20" 'Propeller' alloys / HUD / Black Pack Pics

Fourwheels

Post by Fourwheels » Fri May 10, 2019 1:13 pm

I should keep out of this having sold my XE but as a comparison I have just replaced rear pads on my Mercedes at 22,500.
Which led to a discussion with a friend who owns a totally independent garage workshop.
He tells me anything between 5K and 30K is normal for pads dependant on the driver, with discs every two or three sets of discs. Problem is he tells me, that disc manufacturers are using softer materials as an aid to providing better grip i.e. Better braking distance.
Others will know better than me on that but it seems that Jaguars might not be any different to any other brand.
Previously Jaguar XE Portfolio 2015

Return to “Wheels, Tyres, Suspension”