Pads and discs at 20k?

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Faults and Fixes
PhilB

Re: Pads and discs at 20k?

Post by PhilB » Sun May 12, 2019 11:46 am

Good, I hope they come to their senses.
:D
Current: 2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.
Previous: 2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Sun May 12, 2019 12:30 pm

Regards to dust on the wheels, you may note the lesser amounts on the XE compared with other cars because of the hard pads.
180 diesel XE R Sport, with many extras :D

rich_959

Post by rich_959 » Mon May 13, 2019 2:58 pm

I have a used XE and a used LR Discovery 4, both of which the dealers cleaned and painted the hubs on all four discs due to corrosion. When you buy decent quality non-OE discs, they are generally 'coated' on the non-braking surface, but I agree, it seems JLR had a period where they weren't doing that, and I see a lot of scabby looking discs on fairly new cars. Should only really be cosmetic though, and if you're seeing discs needing replacing at such short life/mileage, I would certainly be pushing the dealer to agree that they're poor quality/faulty or they have been installed incorrectly, causing premature wear. Hell, my XE-S gets driven very enthusiastically and is still on original discs and pads all round with plenty of life left at 25k miles, 3 years old.
XE S. Loire Blue. Lots of toys, but even more noise :D

Spiderman

Post by Spiderman » Tue May 14, 2019 3:38 pm

I bought my Approved Used XE when it was 25 months old and the dealership gave it the 2 year service as part of the deal. When I was picking it up, the salesmen told me that they'd replaced the rear discs as part of that service. I didn't give it much thought at the time, but since it had only done about 11K, that is extraordinarily low mileage. I'm beginning to wonder if there was indeed a batch of dodgy discs that are just starting to display problems?
XE Portfolio in Italian Racing Red; 2.0 Diesel (180PS)

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Tue May 14, 2019 3:56 pm

We have seen some terrible deep and pitted corrosion on some cars across the whole disc.
Hard to see how it could happen if the pads are sweeping the whole face of the disc.
A common theme was often used vehicles that had been sitting around a while.

The photos of UV Blue's corrosion shows a band on the outer part of the disc.
Again, the pads should keep this clear as is on mine, so it seems to me we also can have issues with the pads not being in proper contact with a part of the disc.
My first XE (2015) , had the larger front discs and those had been coated in the vanes and on the outer edge of the disc and again no issues.
It would be interesting to know if anybody with with the standard discs has got the coating as well.
Current: 2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.
Previous: 2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

Pete McK

Post by Pete McK » Tue May 14, 2019 4:16 pm

It’s not poor pad contact on mine, it’s rot setting in from the unpainted edges.
Pete.
'17 XE 180d, Caesium blue.

ChrisGB

Post by ChrisGB » Tue May 14, 2019 10:55 pm

A number of causes at play here I suspect:

Lack of use. If your car is not used pretty much daily, corrosion builds up on the disks as they rust continually, faster in wet conditions. If this layer gets too thick, when you do drive the car, unless you do some very intense braking, you will end up with a glazed layer on the discs that can take some time to wear off. If you don't fully wear it off, it can set up further glazing next time you scrub a rust layer off, potentially leading to premature / uneven pad wear or scoring of the disks.

Seized or sticky slides. If your car is not used much, or if you are very light on the brakes, slides don't get to do much. Combine this with pressure washing the calipers, you could end up with sticky slides leading to uneven pad pressure or contact and the resulting non cleared areas of the disks.

Over corrosion prone disks. Some disks rust faster than others. I've got a 19 plate FPace outside at the moment and the rear disks are already looking a bit scored.

Defective pads leading to disk scoring.

My XE-S gets used at least once a week, but is not my daily drive. The disks have taken on a slight blue layer as I've not found an opportunity to drive long and hard enough to clear the surfaces back to bright metal yet.

Brakes International will do a set of front and rear disks for around £180. I've used their Apec supplied disks on track cars with no issues, so they are up to the job for road use I would imagine.
S 380, ICT Pro, resale grey. Fun and comfy!

Wastegate84

Post by Wastegate84 » Wed May 15, 2019 9:42 am

The XE seems to be prone to sticking slides by the sound of it. I wonder if the dealer checks this when they've replaced discs under warranty. If not the poor owner will have exactly the same issue in a year or two.

capese21

Post by capese21 » Wed May 15, 2019 5:52 pm

I had all 4 discs replaced under warranty.
Because I am anal I took the calipers off to check the pins were lubricated.

Glad I did as no evidence of any grease.

It may be because Jag say the pin is stainless in a rubber sleeve so doesnt need any lubrication.

I dont really agree so used some Molykote G3407 to lube them up!!

They also used copious ammounts of copper grease which is a rather dated product and looked messy so cleaned that up to.

Brakes are superb now they have bedded in. :)
XE Indus Silver 2.0L Ford engine Heated front screen Reverse camera Blind spot warning.

UV Blue

Post by UV Blue » Fri May 31, 2019 4:22 pm

PhilB wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 11:46 am
Good, I hope they come to their senses.
:D

..well they didn't - the dealer just came back to me having looked at the discs/pads and decided they aren't covered under warranty,

the official line on the vehicle health check as follows:

FRONT:
DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING SECTION OF BRAKES ON WORKSHOP MANUAL SHOW IMAGES OF BRAKES AND THE ACCEPTABLE LIMITS/CORROSION AMOUNTS THEY FALL WITHIN AN ACCEPTABLE AMOUNT AND ARE NOT COVERED BY WARRANTY - PRINT OUTS IN JOB PACK SURFACE AREA - 75MM (ALLOWED CORROSION IS UP TO 22.5MM) CORRODED AREA IS CURRENTLY - 15MM (20%) NOT COVERED UNDER WARRANTY

REAR:
DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING SECTION OF BRAKES ON WORKSHOP MANUAL SHOW IMAGES OF BRAKES AND THE ACCEPTABLE LIMITS/CORROSION AMOUNTS THEY FALL WITHIN AN ACCEPTABLE AMOUNT AND ARE NOT COVERED BY WARRANTY - PRINT OUTS IN JOB PACK SURFACE AREA - 55MM (ALLOWED CORROSION IS UP TO 16.5MM) CORRODED ARE IS CURRENTLY - 13MM (23.6%) NOT COVERED BY WARRANTY

they then Quoted for new:
Fronts £813.90
Rear £611.57

I'm pretty fed up about this - I tried to explain that the brakes in use have little bite to them, being quite 'soft' - maybe because less surface area is in contact with the pads when all added up...? - all in contrast to the loaner XE they gave me (basic diesel) the brakes on that are great! :roll:

Dunno, you'd think on a performance car the brake performance would be a big deal and done right.

They recommended if I want to take it further I go back to the dealer I bought the car from - a 330 mile round trip! Groan!

Not sure what to do next... any ideas folks?

:x :evil:

DSCF5248.JPG

DSCF5247.JPG

Jaguar XE-S / 3.0L Supercharged V6 380bhp / Ultimate Black / 20" 'Propeller' alloys / HUD / Black Pack Pics

Return to “Wheels, Tyres, Suspension”