Winter tyres

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Faults and Fixes
Colt

Winter tyres

Post by Colt » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:31 pm

Living in the midlands and wondering if I really need to buy a set of winter tyres. Never had to before but being this is my first rwd car I’m not sure. I don’t do many miles and am retired. Thoughts please
XE R-Sport Santorini black 200ps petrol. Black pack, privacy rear windows, advanced park assist, heated screen, 10 way heated electric seats, power fold door mirrors. First mod black jack valve caps!! :lol:

Mike Rometer

Re: Winter tyres

Post by Mike Rometer » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:49 pm

Colt wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:31 pm
Living in the midlands and wondering if I really need to buy a set of winter tyres. Never had to before but being this is my first rwd car I’m not sure. I don’t do many miles and am retired. Thoughts please
Gotta depend on what weather you're expecting, I'm north of you and we didn't get a single snow day last winter or a heavy frost. Being retired, if the day is too bad to drive in - I don't. It rarely lasts more than a day or two, and there's not a lot that cant wait that long.
Jag No 3. 2 Litre petrol Prestige 200. Italian Racing Red. 65 plate

My other vehicle is coal fired. 8-) (very lo-tech)

Fordie

Post by Fordie » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:12 pm

I went with the new Bridgestone A005 weather control tyres. A rated for the wet and didn't slip once on some nasty, untreated snow covered hills last winter. When others were struggling my car just carried on without even a slip of a wheel. So not a true winter tyre but snow rated and perfect for our climate. I kept them on this summer and the wear has been very good. Looking forward to another stress free winter I hope.
Jaguar xe 2d 180 portfolio AWD

mburrows

Post by mburrows » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:16 am

My 2017 R-Sport sits on 20" Pirelli P-Zero tyres. I drove it (barely) on snow and ice last winter. It was the squirreliest ride I ever experienced. The P-Zero tyres were awful. I may break down and buy winter tyres this year. Not to denigrate the factory tyres, they are great on the track and on the street. Just really poor on snow and ice.

Pete McK

Post by Pete McK » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:24 am

Mine's on the 18" Pirelli Cinturatos and it was ok in the snow, no real issues.
Pete.
'17 XE 180d, Caesium blue.

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:22 am

mburrows wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:16 am
My 2017 R-Sport sits on 20" Pirelli P-Zero tyres. I drove it (barely) on snow and ice last winter. It was the squirreliest ride I ever experienced. The P-Zero tyres were awful. I may break down and buy winter tyres this year. Not to denigrate the factory tyres, they are great on the track and on the street. Just really poor on snow and ice.
That's because they are summer tyres.
If you get plenty of snow and ice and need to use the car regularly in such conditions then full winter tyres are best.
MY20 RR Evoque P300 HSE.
2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.
2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.

Thorn

Post by Thorn » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:57 am

Last winter, my first with the Jag, was the first in more than twenty years when I've not put winter tyres on. The difference was marked, even on cold, snowless roads. But I'm not doing the mileage to justify the expense now, and as I'm retired I can stay at home if the forecast is grim.

Bazzamf

Post by Bazzamf » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:59 pm

I fitted some Avon winter/snow tyres last year and have kept them on the car. They are so much better in the wet than the original Dunlop tyres and the ride's a lot smoother. They will be staying on the car until they wear out.
Bazzamf - XE 200 Ingenium Portfolio in Santorini Black

robertW

Post by robertW » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:35 pm

I've Just started using cross climate tyres for the winter - Goodyear Vector 4 Season Gen 2 - run-flat version.

So far so good.

Using them carefully at the moment to run them in and have no high stress impressions yet, but at moderate use on current damp roads they are great. There is no detectable under or oversteer which I feared could happen with the wider cross tread cuts used to bite into snow. Low noise is great too - seems much quieter on normal roads than the supplied Dunlop SP Maxx's - but not surprising after thinking about it because the tread cuts are curved across the tyre to make sure the tread blocks avoid slapping the road noisily. They do seem a little noisier on rough roads though and I guess this is due to the ridged load-bearing walls of the run-flat feature transmitting rolling vibrations to the suspension, without much flexible wall rubber to dampen it.

After another 100 miles or so, the tyres will have settled in and I will give them some fast cornering and braking to test their behaviour under tougher stress.
240 Portfolio, July 2015, adaptive cruise, queue assist, advanced park, 360° cameras, folding mirrors.

Hillmangt

Post by Hillmangt » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:58 pm

Winter tyres are designed for use in any weather where the temperature is below approximately 7 degrees centigrade and work because the rubber compound is softer at these temperatures helping to maintain grip. The tread patterns are designed to maximise this. Narrower profiles can work better in snow. Their use is compulsory in many countries throughout the winter months.
Wider summer tyres are useless in snow.
My last car a Volvo V70 Auto always had winter tyres on in winter and could get up hills where 4 x4s with summer tyres couldn’t.
Pure winter tyres should not be used in summer as they overheat causing excessive wear and poor performance. Summer tyres also last longer if their not used in winter as they don’t spin up and wear prematurely.
I travel from Surrey to Scotland a lot and am looking to fit winters. I have the winter wheels and tyre from the Volvo which should fit my Jaguar though the tyre monitoring wont work.
It will be interesting to try the traction assist function on the Jag.
Front wheel drive tends to be better in snow especially going up hills but if you get stuck in your RWD car just turn it round and go up in reverse as myself and others did when I lived in Scotland. Only on quiet roads where its safe.
XE 2.0t 200PS Auto Prestige, Italian Racing Red, 2015 lots of toys.
Mercedes C320 Elegance Auto. Petrol. Eibach springs. Twin K & N Filters. Staggered 18 in replica AMG wheels. 2001.

Return to “Wheels, Tyres, Suspension”