Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Faults and Fixes
Faltwen

Re: Dunlop Sportmax tyres cracking

Post by Faltwen » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:04 am

Nuttyspark wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:28 am
Faltwen wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:54 pm
I had same problem but on the outside and all 4, came up as advisory on MOT. Must say I didn't bother complaining, the tyres were 3 years old and the car had only done 16000 miles, they would most likely have said age which wouldn't have been a problem if the car was doing normal mileage.
I've been driving for 40 years, always used "middle of the range" tyres, finally got a car with supposedly premium tyres on and they crack.
Decided to bite the bullet a few months back, fitted 4 x middle range Avon ZV7 - £350 all in. Sorted, and won't be rushing out for premium tyres anytime soon.
Hi Faltwen
I had the Avon tyres on my Focus. Actually lost a couple of miles per gallon but my God it could go around corners like it was a rollercoaster!! Brilliant in the wet too. Want to put these on my XE when the time comes, how do you find them on yours? Any issues with ride and handling?
Thanks
They seem ok so far, having done about 2000 miles on them, they are noisier than the dunlps but handling etc seem to be good. Must say I haven't thought about the mpg, but looking on Incontrol there doesn't seem much difference. I had them fitted to my last X Type, they were recommended by my local small garage. When I showed him the Dunlops he recommended changing them as the cracking wasn't safe on a high performance car in his opinion.
As it was coming up to winter and I wouldn't be going far or fast I decided to wait until this March and he did me a good deal on them. Cheaper than anywhere on the internet. £350 all in, although they are only the 17" wheels on my Prestige.
2016 Jaguar XE Prestige 20T in Bluefire.
Parking pack fitted but not used.

Did have two X Types, a 2.5L then a 2.2L Auto with the dreaded DPF. No more DPF's for me.

Deleted User 732

Post by Deleted User 732 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:42 am

I have used tyre dressings of various sorts for 50 years and nearly all my tyres have been fine so I think that tyre dressings deteriorating the tyre is a myth like tooth fairies and Father Christmas.

Indianajons

Post by Indianajons » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:33 pm

My Dunlops are at least four years old (haven’t checked manf. date) with 24K miles and car lives outdoors all the time except in winter. Tyres only show minor cracks around edge of tread but were wearing excessively on the outside so just had it ‘Huntered’ to extend life of tyres to 30K plus.
2017 MY tempest grey Portfolio 180D, folding mirrors, 14 way seats, memory pack, cold weather pack, 360 parking, wi-fi hotspot

Deleted User 732

Post by Deleted User 732 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:40 pm

That wear on the edge is caused by the Ackermann angle and is normal with wide tyres. I bet that you look after your tyres as well, with pressure checks etc.

Faltwen

Post by Faltwen » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:43 pm

There was nothing wrong with the pressures in mine, I check them weekly.
40 years servicing my own cars taught me a few things.
2016 Jaguar XE Prestige 20T in Bluefire.
Parking pack fitted but not used.

Did have two X Types, a 2.5L then a 2.2L Auto with the dreaded DPF. No more DPF's for me.

Deleted User 732

Post by Deleted User 732 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:46 pm

Faltwen wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:43 pm
There was nothing wrong with the pressures in mine, I check them weekly.
Same as me and that keeps things working properly with less chance of unnecessary wear.

Indianajons

Post by Indianajons » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:10 pm

Vespa wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:40 pm
That wear on the edge is caused by the Ackermann angle and is normal with wide tyres. I bet that you look after your tyres as well, with pressure checks etc.
Didn’t help that toe was +1.3mm out at the front and +2.1mm out at the rear either. Check pressures every 4-6 weeks when cool and over inflate by a couple of psi to allow for losses.
2017 MY tempest grey Portfolio 180D, folding mirrors, 14 way seats, memory pack, cold weather pack, 360 parking, wi-fi hotspot

Hillmangt

Post by Hillmangt » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:56 pm

Just changed my Dunlop Sportmax tyres due to cracking.
They were 2014 manufacture though had only done about 1000 miles.
I bought them on a set of unused 19 inch star alloys. They had obviously been sitting around and started cracking on the side walls and on the rears between the treads.
Changed them for Michelins at a cost of £698.
My last car a Volvo V70 D 5 used to go through a set of front tyres every 9-10 months so they never got a chance to crack!
XE 2.0t 200PS Auto Prestige, Italian Racing Red, 2015 lots of toys.
Mercedes C320 Elegance Auto. Petrol. Eibach springs. Twin K & N Filters. Staggered 18 in replica AMG wheels. 2001.

JAGDH

Post by JAGDH » Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:42 am

Vespa wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:40 pm
I’ve noticed this on mine, if it’s normal should I bother looking to get them adjusted or is it not an issue? It doesn’t look like usual tyre wear on the edges due to tracking/alignment/camber issues as it’s more on the very outer edge and sounds like what you describe.

I check fluids each week but admit with tyre pressures it’s more like once a month!
Bully wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:50 pm
I have had the first MOT on my 2017 XE AWD and whilst it readily passed, the underbody inspection video revealed significant long cracks on the circumference on the inner tyre sidewalls but not yet revealing the reinforcement under the tread of the front tyres. These tyres are 3 years old, have only done 12000 miles and the tread depth was 4.5/5mm. I note from other posts XEs with very similar aged tyres had the same problem. It appears this is clearly a fault with the tyres. Needless to say for safety reasons, I would not drive the car from the garage until the tyres had been changed. Has anyone else had this problem, and if so what has been the reaction from Jaguar/Dunlop to these faults? No signs of cracking yet on the rear tyres!!
When I bought my XE it was just about 4.5 years old, so I can’t say for sure if they were the original tyres or a second set of the same Dunlop ones but one of the tyres was suffering from a bulge when it was sent early for an MOT.

Car was on 41K. These could have been the original tyres or might have been only 2ish years old, but definitely shows that these tyres can have issues when a couple of years old.
XE 2L Diesel [180] R-Sport (2015/65 Plate/MY16)

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:28 am

JAGDH wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:42 am
These could have been the original tyres or might have been only 2ish years old, but definitely shows that these tyres can have issues when a couple of years old.
I think you contradicted yourself there.
If they "might" have been 2 years old it doesn't "definitely" show they can have issues when 2 years old as you don't know how old they are.
Having had two XE's both of which ran over two years old I never saw any cracking in any of the Dunlops during those periods.

You can check the age of the tyres by looking at the serial numbers.
2019 Evoque P300 HSE, Carpathian Grey.
2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.
2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.