XE R19 Venoms Tyre choice?

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Faults and Fixes
Liam96

XE R19 Venoms Tyre choice?

Post by Liam96 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:39 pm

Hi All,

Just recently had fitted Avon ZV7’s on all corners, after thorough research the reviews were great and the price wasn’t too bad either...
Now after 300 miles on them I want to change, they are awful! Don’t get me wrong there is plenty of grip, but that doesn’t make up for the unsettled jelly like driving experience. 65mph+ is a workout, there is a noticeable delay between steering input and the tread catching up. I didn’t think it was possible to make myself car sick!? The tire wall is rather soft which means it rolls, unfortunately I have made my baby no longer fun to drive with these things.

These tyres do not instil any confidence when it comes to spirited driving, scary comes to mind... it feels like the tread is moving with a mind of its own.

So what do you guys recommend I put on?
The Pirelli Cinturato’s that I had on my 18’s were far better, I’d like something with similar dynamics to them.

Any help is welcome!

P.S. I have a set of 4 Hardly used ZV7’s if anyone wants them? :lol:

Cheers,
Liam
2018 D240 AWD R Sport (full stealth spec)

lexie

Re: XE R19 Venoms Tyre choice?

Post by lexie » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:57 pm

See if you can get Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S in the correct sizes. They are an upgrade over the P zeros that are standard fit on the XES

They have been the go to tyre over on the F type forum, as replacement for the standard Pirellis. More grippy and a bit quieter and slightly more compliant ride.

I had a similar situation with Avon's on another car. They were like drift tyres, the car would change lanes on roundabouts in the wet. Scary. Switched back to Bridgestones within 12 months.
R-Sport 200ps Ammonite grey, parking pack, split fold rear seats, space saver, 14 way seats

canajag

Post by canajag » Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:04 pm

I'm only around 300km in, but I fitted a set of 19" Firestone Firehawk Indy 500s to my XE and I find them a substantial improvement over the fairly new Pirelli P7s that they replaced. 225/255 staggered, and the car is nicely planted on the straights, has a balanced turn-in, and subjectively improved grip on the P7s. I found the P7s had some sidewall and block squirm under heavy sustained load, for example during a spirited on-ramp entry to the highway. That is gone with the new tires, which have (very!!) large blocks, and stiff sidewalls. My shop said they were fairly difficult to balance, but they got them below 10# on their road force machine after some effort; I find the XE sensitive to balance so don't cheap out on the mount/balance.

Usual caveat that I replaced tires with 8,000km on them that are a couple of years old, but I'm pleased. Oh, and they are so cheap they might as well be free..! I understand the usual recommendation for PS4S, but saving 60% cost in going to a tire which rates very well and which I personally find very accomplished is certainly worth considering. I've driven a 5L Mustang, and an Audi S4 on the same rubber before I got mine and found them likewise planted.
2018 Jaguar XE 35t 3.0L AWD Portfolio, Santorini Black, all the toys that were available options.

BruceTheQuail

Post by BruceTheQuail » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:13 pm

We have P Zeros on ours with Venoms which are surprisingly good on the P300. I had them on my F Type and didnt like them - turning was fine but they break traction easily. If I was to change on the XE, I would be looking for Michelins - I have PSS's on my car and the ride and handling is much improved.
2020 XE P300 HSE R-dynamic in Firenze lotsa goodies incl RWD!
Daily driver - F Type V6 S in IRR with many chav accoutrements, pulley and tune
Gone but still loved - 2016 XE 25T R-sport in IRR

ChrisGB

Post by ChrisGB » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:04 pm

I've been looking at tyres for the XE for a while now. There seem to be two stand out choices, the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S and the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5. I'm leaning towards the Goodyear option at the moment as reviews indicate they are a little more malleable at the limit and slightly better wet weather performance, with generally a more immediate trun in. The Michelin gives slightly more dry grip and better feedback at the limit, but with less progression. NVH much the same for both. Unfortunately, the Goodyears are low stock on the front size currently, so are silly expensive, but this should resolve once production fills the void. Either of these tyres are going to be very good indeed.

Going Dunlop J spec is not too expensive and they are reasonable. I prefer them to the Pirelli. Falken FK510 are good for the money if cost is an issue. I'vee liked Firestone's sport oriented tyres in the past, but the Indy 500 is not available in European markets as far as I can see. My experience of Pirelli on an XEs was of limited traction. It is a shame that Goodyear don't do the Supersport in the 255/35R19 size.
S 380, ICT Pro, resale grey. Fun and comfy!

Liam96

Post by Liam96 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:40 pm

Thanks guys!

Looks like Michelin’s it is, what’s the difference between the PS4’s and PS4S’s.

Also would you recommend I change all 4? The problem I feel is the front end being a bit “squirrely”, the rear seems pretty planted. So I was thinking change the fronts and if it still don’t feel right change the backs as well.
2018 D240 AWD R Sport (full stealth spec)

Hillmangt

Post by Hillmangt » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:41 am

I have just fitted Michelin pilot 4 s all round on my 19 in Star alloys.
Massive improvement over the dunlops.
Cost me £698 fully fitted.
XE 2.0t 200PS Auto Prestige, Italian Racing Red, 2015 lots of toys.
Mercedes C320 Elegance Auto. Petrol. Eibach springs. Twin K & N Filters. Staggered 18 in replica AMG wheels. 2001.

ChrisGB

Post by ChrisGB » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:32 am

Personally, I'd fit the same make and model of tyre to all four corners. Having different characteristics front and rear can make for unbalanced handling.
S 380, ICT Pro, resale grey. Fun and comfy!

lexie

Post by lexie » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:54 am

Link to a previous post containing a video comparing the Michelin PS4 and PS4s

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=7219&p=80690&hilit ... PS4#p80690
R-Sport 200ps Ammonite grey, parking pack, split fold rear seats, space saver, 14 way seats

Jeff123

Post by Jeff123 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:14 am

Liam96 wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:39 pm
Hi All,

Just recently had fitted Avon ZV7’s on all corners, after thorough research the reviews were great and the price wasn’t too bad either...
Now after 300 miles on them I want to change, they are awful! Don’t get me wrong there is plenty of grip, but that doesn’t make up for the unsettled jelly like driving experience. 65mph+ is a workout, there is a noticeable delay between steering input and the tread catching up. I didn’t think it was possible to make myself car sick!? The tire wall is rather soft which means it rolls, unfortunately I have made my baby no longer fun to drive with these things.

These tyres do not instil any confidence when it comes to spirited driving, scary comes to mind... it feels like the tread is moving with a mind of its own.

So what do you guys recommend I put on?
The Pirelli Cinturato’s that I had on my 18’s were far better, I’d like something with similar dynamics to them.

Any help is welcome!

P.S. I have a set of 4 Hardly used ZV7’s if anyone wants them? :lol:

Cheers,
Liam
I assume that you have checked the pressures and maybe tried to inflate them slightly more and see if that makes a difference? 300 miles does not seem to be much of a distance to make such a dramatic decision.

In saying that, I had some £35 cheapo's fitted to the front of a BMW when I bought it and I got rid of those more or less straight away.
XE R-Dynamic 180d Eiger Grey MY20