OEM Brake Discs

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Faults and Fixes
Luvlyjubbly

OEM Brake Discs

Post by Luvlyjubbly » Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:35 pm

Hi all, after having a 40k mile ‘Health Check’ at a dealers recently, the usual scoring and corrosion of all four discs caught their attention and so prompted a ridiculous repair price. With that promptly ignored, I ordered a full set of EBC OEM equivalent discs and pads for under £400 delivered. Anyway, got round to replacing the rear set first and noticed that the originals are stamped with Jaguar and a GX number but interestingly, also Brembo.
I was under the impression Brembo was a premium disc, but judging by the corrosion on mine, I’m beginning to wonder ! Is it possible that Brembo supplied discs for the XE but at a lower quality ? Seems very strange to me !
MY17 163hp Prestige in Caesium Blue.

Luvlyjubbly

Re: OEM Brake Discs

Post by Luvlyjubbly » Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:11 pm

62B2CE8D-0D6C-4FDC-BF07-CADED7840F19.jpeg

8C3C5007-607C-4FCA-B1A5-92A8606D4C33.jpeg

rayaans

Post by rayaans » Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:37 am

Brembo make discs to manufacturer spec. The corrosion isbecause the discs haven't been coated

In their aftermarket line, brembo usually has UV treated and coated discs which are quite resistant to corrosion
2015 XE S - IRR/Pimento, Pan roof and more.......

Luvlyjubbly

Post by Luvlyjubbly » Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:41 pm

rayaans wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:37 am
Brembo make discs to manufacturer spec. The corrosion isbecause the discs haven't been coated

In their aftermarket line, brembo usually has UV treated and coated discs which are quite resistant to corrosion
Thanks rayaans, that makes sense, I suppose it’s a way to reduce costs when building cars. Anyway, I hope that the EBC discs I’ve fitted last longer than the OEMs :)

ChrisGB

Post by ChrisGB » Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:27 am

Luvlyjubbly wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:41 pm
rayaans wrote:

Thanks rayaans, that makes sense, I suppose it’s a way to reduce costs when building cars. Anyway, I hope that the EBC discs I’ve fitted last longer than the OEMs :)
Be sure to give us an update on the EBC discs. I'm going to be replacing my OEM as they are in a similar state to the ones in your photo, so would be interested to see how the EBC product fares.
S 380, ICT Pro, resale grey. Fun and comfy!

BruceTheQuail

Post by BruceTheQuail » Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:37 am

I fitted R1 Concept rotors to my F Type. They looked great but they are too hard, very noisy, and dont brake as well as OEM. And their customer service is dreadful. So if you plan on just looking at your car in the garage, they are wonderful. If you plan on driving your car, look somewhere else. I put OEM back on (at massive cost) and have a new appreciation for them.
2020 XE P300 HSE R-dynamic in Firenze lotsa goodies incl RWD!
Daily driver - F Type V6 S in IRR with many chav accoutrements, pulley and tune
Gone but still loved - 2016 XE 25T R-sport in IRR

rayaans

Post by rayaans » Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:09 pm

I used to put MTEC discs on nearly every car and can recommend them also.

Comes in a few different colours coating wise if you pay extra - I usually go for the subtle black
2015 XE S - IRR/Pimento, Pan roof and more.......

Luvlyjubbly

Post by Luvlyjubbly » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:00 pm

ChrisGB wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:27 am
Luvlyjubbly wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:41 pm
rayaans wrote:

Be sure to give us an update on the EBC discs. I'm going to be replacing my OEM as they are in a similar state to the ones in your photo, so would be interested to see how the EBC product fares.
No problem, will keep this thread updated once they are bedded in properly. Just for info, I fitted the plain discs with Ultimax pads as below.

0A81E2F8-A679-4C23-BFD1-07D125D7E8FC.png

ChrisGB

Post by ChrisGB » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:35 pm

I've run Ultimax pads on a training car. I found them to be a really good road pad. Predictable initial bite, very progressive and proportional retardation, work just as well from cold, easy to be smooth. They seemed to make relatively little dust too.
S 380, ICT Pro, resale grey. Fun and comfy!

BRC

Post by BRC » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:06 am

Got to say that seems an horrendous price. I've just renewed the rear brake discs (Mintex) and pads (EBC) on my XF and all for less than £80. The front discs for your car can be bought for £100 and the rear at £50. The EBC pads would collectively cost £60 ish for both front and rear. BTW the Mintex discs are coated and look very tidy on the car. Mines been on for around a month and absolutely no sign of corrosion unlike the OEM's that were fitted. Also another thumbs up for the Ultramax pads albeit they do produce more dust that their advertising might suggest.
Here's the front disc link: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-MINTEX-F ... Swj1haWKk8
and here's the rear:https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-MINTEX-R ... Swj1haWKk8
XE Portfolio now replaced by an XF R Sport and a Z4 garage queen!