Jaguar XE Forum banner

Jaguar wheel mass.

10K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  Cabby 
#1 ·
Watching the Harry's Garage review of the F Type P450, he mentioned the weight of the wheels and reckoned that the weight of the wheels was unusually high due to them being strong. Apparently they have the same sign off specs for impact resistance as Range Rovers, so that's where the weight comes from. I wonder how the car would feel on lighter wheels?

#2 ·
Chris you have asked about my main passion. I have an F Type which had the 19" centrifuge wheels on it. I took them off to put 21 inch Vorsteiner VF03 flow forged wheels on. The OEM wheels weigh a ton, just ridiculously heavy. I actually put my back out stacking them in the shed (stupid me extended and twisted). The forged on the other hand are comparably light, I think about 10lb lighter each in your units. The difference in handling is immediately spectacular - the car is more nimble, direction changes are much better. The ride on 21 inch Michelins is actually better than the ride was on the 19 inch wheels with P Zeros, although a little more jiggly on a bad road.

The best $6K I ever spent on a car, I'm licking my chops at doing similar on the XE (probs with 20's) but my missus hasnt given me the all clear as she likes the wheels that are on it.

#3 ·
With the state of UK roads beware you aren't trading a slightly better feeling drive-wise for more vulnerability from pot holes.
I saw that review and was surprised about the Range Rover comment.
I'm not sure Range Rover drivers deliberately bounce things over kerbs to take advantage of their superior wheel strength.
:lol:

#4 ·
I can vouch for the wheels being heavy. I used to work at Gaydon in design studio. We machined full size clay models and when finished had to lift each wheel onto the chassis which stood about 2foot off the floor on datum points. Wow there heavy. Finally got JLR to buy a wheel lifter. So much easier 😅

#5 ·
Wheel mass can destroy the ride quality and fuel economy.
The 19 inch original Jaguar wheels weights 27 kg
The 17 inch original Jaguar wheels with the many spokes weights around 19,5 kg.
Always look out for the flow formed wheels and avoid the cast produced. Stay as close to the 20 kg as you can.

#6 ·
TheDutch said:
Wheel mass can destroy the ride quality and fuel economy.
The 19 inch original Jaguar wheels weights 27 kg
The 17 inch original Jaguar wheels with the many spokes weights around 19,5 kg.
Always look out for the flow formed wheels and avoid the cast produced. Stay as close to the 20 kg as you can.
I took a wheel off my 19" shod XE and I don't remember it weighing 60 lbs!!
Maybe I'm stronger than I think............... :D
Let's not get carried away with this.
I and probably others regard the ride on 19" wheels as superb and having driven a diesel with 17" wheels as a loaner, I didn't think the ride was any better at all .

#7 ·
The front wheel is 24kg and the rear 27kg
I have had many different sizes over the years and it is of course all a personal opinion and preferences
My personal is keep 18 inch as the max .
Still a little comfort, the looks are ok, fuel economy not to high , affordable tires, not to much tire noises and better handling.

But I'm very very critical on every aspects.

#8 ·
I agree that the ride on the OEM 19's is superb, really I have never been in a better riding car. But when I went from OEM's to forged in my daily (albeit switching from P zeros to PSS's), and bearing in mind that I was going up 2 inches in rim size, there was a massive handling improvement and no ride compromise. I dont know how much the ride factor was due to the tyres, but on the weight you can actually feel it. The car fairly dances through the corners, especially direction change, eg acute angles.

Apparently Jag's OEM forged for the SVR are nearly as heavy as the OEM alloys lol.

#9 ·
I found the 19" rears on the XE to be the first wheel I've ever had that I couldn't easily carry in one hand. They are properly heavy. Lower unsprung weight is always going to be better from a handling and comfort point of view, but they have the potential to be weaker too. I find the ride quality on the 19s to be good, pretty remarkable even, given the weight of the wheels.

#10 ·
I drove the P450 at the Fen End event and I was really surprised how agile and nimble the car felt. I think the car reviews really exaggerated the higher overall weight. Not sure if they offer the f type with forged wheels anymore. I think the SVR used have them

#11 ·
The Jag forged wheels are only marginally lighter than OEM alloy wheels, unfortunately, so swapping over to OEM forged doesnt help, just costs money. If I was buying a new F Type, I would spec the cheapest wheels I could (though you have to get at least 19's to go over the bigger brakes) and then take them straight off for flow forged, with michelins. That said, trying to sell 19' wheels generates about as much interest as offering to give someone the clap, probably if you were to sell the OEMs you might be better off speccing 20's which at least you have a chance of moving.

The F Type is a nimble car, but it is amazingly improved with lighter wheels, especially at direction changes.

#12 ·
TheDutch said:
The front wheel is 24kg and the rear 27kg
I have had many different sizes over the years and it is of course all a personal opinion and preferences
My personal is keep 18 inch as the max .
Still a little comfort, the looks are ok, fuel economy not to high , affordable tires, not to much tire noises and better handling.

But I'm very very critical on every aspects.
I've just bought aftermarket 19 inch 8,5 J wheels.
I preferred 18 inch but the car wanted 19 so that was what i went for.
The first point of selection was weight and the second was looks. Basically the range of the 19 inch wheels is 9 to 16 kg per wheel. My standard 17's are 21 kg include the tires. A tire weight is around 10 kg. After months of searching and comparing the wheel weights I found myself a flow formed wheel with a mass of 10 kg per wheel.😃

#15 ·
I chose 18" wheels with 45 profile tyres for my XE instead of the standard 19" ones, because I wanted to preserve a decent ride quality on the UK's cart-track roads. The ride quality and general handling are indeed good, but I find the amount of road/tyre noise transmitted to the cabin, on all but the smoothest tarmac roads, to be quite obstrusive and wearing on a long run. The car came shod with Continental EcoContact 6 tyres, and I'm wondering if Michelins of some type would help to reduce road noise.
Has anyone else been troubled with road noise from Continentals - or is it just me?

#16 ·
I have Continental Sport Contact 6 in 19" on mine and the noise is lower than the standard 18" Pirelli Cinturatos that it came with from new, despite being a more sporty tyre. Also the flow-formed Concaver wheels are very light, even in their portly girth :) Wheel and tyre mass does make a big difference to the handling feel and ride quality.

Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

Attachments

#17 ·
Phil said:
I have Continental Sport Contact 6 in 19" on mine and the noise is lower than the standard 18" Pirelli Cinturatos that it came with from new, despite being a more sporty tyre. Also the flow-formed Concaver wheels are very light, even in their portly girth :) Wheel and tyre mass does make a big difference to the handling feel and ride quality.
Lovely looking wheels Phil!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.