corroded propellers

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Faults and Fixes
IIRXES

corroded propellers

Post by IIRXES » Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:30 am

My propellers were skimmed by the dealer I bought the XES fae and the laquer has failed, leading to white worm.
I have decided that as much as I like the diamond cut I'm going to get them fully powder coated. My XES is Italian racing red with black accents so the question is what colour do I get the wheels done. I don't fancy black as it will hide them, although I did think of black,and then have the wheels wrapped with silver on the spokes to look like diamond cut.... But thought it might look cheap.

Answers on a postcard :D :!:
2015 XE S 3ltr Superbloodycharged Italian Racing Red with black pack and quad exhausts!

Kaikoura

Re: corroded propellers

Post by Kaikoura » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:00 am

I have one propeller with a small amount of worm on an otherwise perfect set. Still trying to work out what to do about it. Will be interested to see what you decide to do.
Richard Green

I know what's wrong and if I could find it I'd fix it.

2016 XE R-Sport; 2004 XKR convertible; 1975 Triumph TR6

lexie

Post by lexie » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:45 am

Our F type is Italian Racing Red and the wheels are anthracite grey. The facets and angles don't get as lost, compare to black (see below).

The XE gets some slight white worm on the edges of the diamond cut areas (R-sport wheels). I've found that clear lacquer applied over the top with a paintbrush hides it pretty well. A couple of larger scuffs in the rims were flatted back with using wet and dry and Autosol followed by clear lacquer. You have to get right down close to the wheels too notice anything

Mick Grey wheels.JPG

R-Sport 200ps Ammonite grey, parking pack, split fold rear seats, space saver, 14 way seats

Hillmangt

Post by Hillmangt » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:16 pm

Every diamond cut wheel I have had on cars have all corroded due to laquer failing. I have lived in the South East for forty two years where the salt on the road is bad enough to have caused this. I am from the West of Scotland and travel back regularly often in the winter and the salt is used to a much greater extent so would imagine the corrosion is greatly increased. I have the silver star alloys as my car has chrome trim. On yours I would probably go for a dark metallic grey powder coat which would give the best of both worlds as said above, definition with a darker wheel. The powder coaters should be able to show you some samples.
There are quite a few IRR Jags including mine in my area, dealer is only a mile away, and most have black trim and black wheels which I like but I like to be a bit different hence the decision I took to keep the chrome and go silver.
My last car a Volvo V70 was dark metallic grey with chrome grill and silver wheels which I dechromed and had the wheels satin black so a change is good.
XE 2.0t 200PS Auto Prestige, Italian Racing Red, 2015. Every extra available except sunroof I believe.
Mercedes C320 Elegance Auto. Petrol. Eibach springs. Twin K & N Filters. Staggered 18 in replica AMG wheels. 2001.

Wolfie1

Post by Wolfie1 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:40 pm

Why not get them painted to look the same as diamond cut wheels

warrenag

Post by warrenag » Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:21 pm

Go with gloss black, its the S model so it will look good and wont look lost with the bigger brakes behind the spokes.

https://www.in2detailing.co.uk/products ... ic-coating make sure to put some sort of wheel coating on for darker colours as you will have to clean them more and they will show dirt and scratches way more easily too, this ceramic is great for the money and can be put on the calipers too.
Jaguar XE S 3.0 Supercharged MY2017 - Santorini Black, Jet/Red Interior, Black Pack
Previous - Jaguar XE 2.0D 163 MY2016 - Fuji White, Jet/Red Interior, Black Pack

rayaans

Post by rayaans » Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:41 pm

They need to be properly refurbished. Around £125 each mine were and they're still fresh.

The dealers just do a smart repair on them i.e cut and lacquer which causes problems
2015 XE S - IRR/Pimento, Pan roof and more.......

IIRXES

Post by IIRXES » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:33 pm

The wheels were skimmed and refinished in black and then diamond cut. I went to Custom coatings today (highly recommended on many forums Inc BMW, Mercedes, audi, subaru, mitsubishi etc) and had a chat with the owner.
He recommended gunmetal, it has a sparkle which highlights the spoke faces but doesn't hide the spoke edges. At his premises he has many colours actually on display so you do get a feel for the 'as coated' look rather than a colour swatch in a catalogue.
So there we are the wheels are booked in for 15th April and will be a few days. For £250 for all four including tyre removal and refitting, I trust the finish will be as awesome as the service so far. I will post pics when coated for your envious comments. :D
2015 XE S 3ltr Superbloodycharged Italian Racing Red with black pack and quad exhausts!

Hillmangt

Post by Hillmangt » Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:14 pm

Look forward to seeing the photos.
Andy
XE 2.0t 200PS Auto Prestige, Italian Racing Red, 2015. Every extra available except sunroof I believe.
Mercedes C320 Elegance Auto. Petrol. Eibach springs. Twin K & N Filters. Staggered 18 in replica AMG wheels. 2001.

AndyB

Post by AndyB » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:02 pm

Really interested to see the final product of these. The dealer I bought mine from never did a great job on one of the refurbs and at the price it costs per wheel to diamond cut them I'm tempted to do a similar thing albeit my car is black so it will look different but I'm really interested to see the propellers in a different colour!
2016 XE-S in Ultimate Black with 20" Propeller Alloys