Alloygator experience

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Faults and Fixes
blue_Phil

Alloygator experience

Post by blue_Phil » Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:21 pm

So, after 4 years of never doing it on my old car, i kerbed a wheel in the first month of owning my XE. :oops: :x :(

The alloys are the 5 split-spoke diamond turned finish and the damage isn't huge, approximately a 1 wide inch scuff. i probably should just get over it! :lol:

I approached a wheel company i'd been recommended, looking for a repair. However they said with diamond cut they only do full repairs. When I explained it was practically brand new, and I don't really want to go down a full wheel referb yet, he then said it could be covered (and protected from any future mishaps) by Alloygators

I wondered if anyone on here has any experience with these on Jaguar Diamond cut wheels?

I did a search - but the comments were quite old, so thought i'd seek some recent knowledge.
MY20 Santorini Black D180 R-Dynamic SE AWD. Black Exterior Pack, Privacy Glass, Cold Climate Pack & Technology Pack

rayaans

Re: Alloygator experience

Post by rayaans » Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:37 pm

Can be spot repaired by most places. They blend in a little silver paint and you'd never notice. Cost is about £55 rather than £125 for a full wheel diamond cut refurb
2015 XE S - IRR/Pimento, Pan roof and more.......

ChrisGB

Post by ChrisGB » Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:15 pm

I'd look at getting some sort of repair. Where the lacquer has been damaged, moisture will get in, followed by spreading corrosion.
S 380, ICT Pro, Virtual Dash, resale grey. Fun and comfy!

Fighterpilot

Post by Fighterpilot » Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:17 pm

Avoid alloygators They are expensive and do not do what they say they do. A neighbour had them on a Mercedes and damaged the wheels twice with them on. When the car went for service they advised her strongly to take them off as they interferred with the seating of the tyre against the rim. The best thing to do would be to get a couple of quotes as some chaps can polish it out with very fine grinding wheels. I will admit I did on of mine and the repair was done with the grinder and buffers. It is very hard to detect. £85
R Sport 180D 2015

blue_Phil

Post by blue_Phil » Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:25 pm

Thanks Guys

A repair job is my preference. I feel it would have been the better way to go , but it's finding a good place to do it locally or that will come to the house.

i've attached a picture of the what i've done. i dont like the sound of further corrosion

wheel scratch.jpg

wheel scratch 2.jpg

MY20 Santorini Black D180 R-Dynamic SE AWD. Black Exterior Pack, Privacy Glass, Cold Climate Pack & Technology Pack

chrisjp

Post by chrisjp » Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:41 pm

I think I would be tempted to just rub down the damage (which is only slight) with some fine wet/dry paper and then touch in with some silver paint. This would at least stop moisture getting under the lacquer.
Chris Phillips. Jaguar XE HSE 250PS Petrol MY20. Portofino Blue, Light Oyster, privacy glass, heated steering wheel, Meridian 825w, space saver spare wheel, folding rear seat, black pack, 16-way driver seat

Jeff123

Post by Jeff123 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:44 pm

it's sods law that you will do this again, so IMO, I would do a DIY repair in the short term. If you don't trust yourself, just go to your nearest bodyshop and get him to sort it. I would imagine a touch of wet and dry plus some lacquer would leave it virtually undetectable. You just want to stop further corrosion. If you start having extensive, full-wheel refurbs, you could end up with a more unsightly wheel than when you started,
XE R-Dynamic 180d Eiger Grey MY20

Fighterpilot

Post by Fighterpilot » Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:03 pm

You have a PM
R Sport 180D 2015

Colt

Post by Colt » Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:38 pm

The dink and dent chaps should be able to sort that.
🇬🇧 2019 XE R-Sport Santorini black 200ps petrol. Black pack, privacy rear windows, Ebony headlining, 18” black alloys, advanced park assist, heated front screen, 12x12 way heated electric seats, heated power fold door mirrors. Spare wheel.

Wolfie1

Post by Wolfie1 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:35 am

I did something similair to this on my merc i used to have, i used some fine sandpaper and rubbed it down, cleaned it with brake cleaner and then put some clear lacquer over it, it wasnt perfect but it kept the moisture out to stop it getting any worse.
I would be devastated on my new car doing that!