Jaguar XE Forum banner

New brakes

4K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  147daytona 
#1 ·
Just wondering where everyone else is getting their pads and discs from?

I managed to find a set of rear discs and pads on ebay for £75 from Ace Parts, Mintex branded, just wondering if there are any better deals out there?

#2 ·
#3 ·
I tried R1 concepts slotted and drilled rotors with their ceramic pads on my daily. Led to dreadful noise issues and after trying to get it sorted with them I ended up having to take them off, and then they refused to give any refund as noise isnt warranted. Not a good experience at all.

#5 ·
I did look at Delphi too as they're a solid brand but cheapest I could find them for a disc and pad set for the rear was £115 on ebay.

I had no issues fitting the Mintex set, quality and fit was fine.

One thing I did notice, when I replaced the rear left there wasn't a pad wear sensor installed on the car, but there was on the rear right. I thought that was unusual, but when I compared, the rear left has a different bracket without the extra holder for the cable, so is this normal?

#7 ·
j.a.mcguire said:
One thing I did notice, when I replaced the rear left there wasn't a pad wear sensor installed on the car, but there was on the rear right. I thought that was unusual, but when I compared, the rear left has a different bracket without the extra holder for the cable, so is this normal?
Yep there is only one on the rear. Presume the thought behind only fitting one is first of all cost and second, if one side has worn out, then so has the other.

#8 ·
BOBCDP said:
j.a.mcguire said:
Yep there is only one on the rear. Presume the thought behind only fitting one is first of all cost and second, if one side has worn out, then so has the other.
Bean-counter penny pinching I'm afraid. It's quite possible for one side to wear out before the other - if the piston sticks in the caliper for example. If this happens on the non-sensor side you won't know about it until the pad is worn to its backing and has damaged the disc.

#10 ·
chrisjp said:
Bean-counter penny pinching I'm afraid. It's quite possible for one side to wear out before the other - if the piston sticks in the caliper for example. If this happens on the non-sensor side you won't know about it until the pad is worn to its backing and has damaged the disc.
It's not just Jaguar that do this. In the last 20 years I've owned Ford's, Alfas, Audis and a BMW and they've all been this way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.