Potential Buyer

New to the Jaguar XE Forums? Introduce yourself here
Hondarayblue

Potential Buyer

Post by Hondarayblue » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:22 pm

Good afternoon folks, after reading your forum for several months, I'm now in a position to purchase a XE S. I've been keeping an eye on Auotrader ads for a while and narrowed my choices down to a few cars, mainly due to specs.
I looked at a few cars priced between 18k and 25k, but I also looked at the MOT records of these vehicles. Worryingly, they nearly all had failed or had advisories for defective tyres. Is this a common fault on the XE S ?

Fighterpilot

Re: Potential Buyer

Post by Fighterpilot » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:32 pm

Due to the geometry on the front the outer edges tend to wear a bit. They walls of the tyres can show minute cracking after a couple of years and both are of little consequence. Hard driving may exacerbate the problem more but in general I wouldn't worry. Get the seller to knock the price down a bit just in case. Dunlops and Pirellis were the main standard fit and those were often talked about. I would think others on here will guide you to other makes that are not so affected.
R Sport 180D 2015

Faltwen

Post by Faltwen » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:51 pm

It's not just a problem on the XE S.
My 20T had new tyres at 3 years and 15000 miles due to cracking on the tread edge.
Dunlop's, it's a common problem and lots of threads about it
2016 Jaguar XE Prestige 20T in Bluefire.
Parking pack fitted but not used.

Did have two X Types, a 2.5L then a 2.2L Auto with the dreaded DPF. No more DPF's for me.

Hondarayblue

Post by Hondarayblue » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:30 pm

Thanks for the quick responses. Once I found one with the required options, I will go and have a few test drives. Ideally I would like to have 20" Propellors, Advanced Parking Park and the Panoramic Sunroof. I'm a bit if an audiophile so the 825w Meridian setup would be nice, but very few 2nd owner cars have this option.
I'm driving a Lexus is250 at the moment. Reliable but dull.

clivetay33

Post by clivetay33 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:07 am

I am thinking of selling my 2017 XES it has plenty of extras including panoramic sliding roof, Meridian sound not the 825 though. it has brand new Michelin pilot tyres. Avoid the Dunlop Sports they crack very badly. It has advanced parking and had been cherished. It has done 18k miles. it is a beast of a car but sits in the garage for too long so would like to find a new home where it can burn the roads again, something it was made for. If you would like any further details please PM me.
Jaguar XE S Indus Silver 380 bhp black pack, cold climate pack 1, 18 way power front seats, memory pack with powerfold mirrors, 19 inch black alloy wheels, panoramic electric sun roof, advanced parking assist pack

rayaans

Post by rayaans » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:36 pm

Hondarayblue wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:30 pm
Thanks for the quick responses. Once I found one with the required options, I will go and have a few test drives. Ideally I would like to have 20" Propellors, Advanced Parking Park and the Panoramic Sunroof. I'm a bit if an audiophile so the 825w Meridian setup would be nice, but very few 2nd owner cars have this option.
I'm driving a Lexus is250 at the moment. Reliable but dull.
You'd be lucky to find one with the 825w option. I would say the standard Meridian is OK at best. Had a number of Lexus vehicles in the family and always found the standard Lexus audio systems to be good and the Mark Levinson systems to be outstanding. Unfortunately, I would say the Meridian system is worse than the IS standard system.

The 20" wheels are a must have IMO. Just be aware that the only decent options tyre wise are Pirelli, Michelin, Hankook and Falkens if you want the same make of tyre all around. They are expensive. I spent around £180 each just last month on two rear goodyears

Additionally, you may be disappointed with the quality of the interior. I dont know which generation of IS you have but the IS interiors are very well built.

Having said that the XE S is very good to drive and the engine noise on the XES always brings a smile to my face. I didnt think it was much better than the 3rd generation IS however and the 3IS does have better steering feel.

Not entirely sure why tyres are such a problem on these cars. I dont have much experience with pirelli or dunlop as I mainly buy michelin or goodyear and never had an issue. I suspect it may be due to drivers not checking them (Some people use an MOT as a way of finding out what needs to be changed) and alignment set up for fast road driving.
2015 XE S - IRR/Pimento, Pan roof and more.......

Faltwen

Post by Faltwen » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:07 pm

I think my tyres cracked as the previous owner only completed 6000 miles in the first 2 years.
I regularly check my tyres, I have serviced my own cars for 40 years.
What I discovered was that the cracks appeared suddenly when about 3 years old, just before the first mot. The date on the tyres was the same as the year of car manufacture so they weren't older tyres.
2016 Jaguar XE Prestige 20T in Bluefire.
Parking pack fitted but not used.

Did have two X Types, a 2.5L then a 2.2L Auto with the dreaded DPF. No more DPF's for me.

Hondarayblue

Post by Hondarayblue » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:52 pm

My Lexus IS 250 is the 2nd generation with the Mark Levinson system. Anything sounding less capable than this would be a disappointment. The Lexus interior is now very dated, but it all still works.
Regarding tyres, I guess I will have to change to Michelin PS4 with my next car. I've had Dunlop Sportmaxx on my Lexus, and even in the dry they have let loose on the rear end.