Petrol consumption

New to the Jaguar XE Forums? Introduce yourself here
duchess

Petrol consumption

Post by duchess » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:45 pm

Hello All, my first post here, despite having owned my BRG XE R Sport 240 auto, since September 2016. It was an ex demo car. I have to say, absolutely delighted with the car and no problems as yet, apart from the much mentioned country lane problem with the satnav.. My question concerns petrol consumption. Though it seems a shame to dull the performance by using the ECO mode, I wonder what members experience is of this. I did a return journey last Friday of approx. 85 miles each way. Outward in ECO mode, return in Normal mode. Both journeys were similar, in fact I would say a slower section on return journey. Yet, I was surprised that the outward journey on ECO, resulted in 40.5 mpg and the return on normal mode, resulted in 43.5 mpg. A bit surprised at this. My best ever mpg, was using ECO mode on a trip where speed didn't exceed 65 mph and resulted in 47 mpg. For the performance of this car, I think it is excellent.

HaloJones

Re: Petrol consumption

Post by HaloJones » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:03 pm

Never noticed ECO saving me anything. But on 85 miles you could get that difference in MPG from traffic, weather, elevation change, overtaking, braking, wind direction, etc.
Ultimate Black Portfolio 240 Petrol, Chrome Window Surrounds, Templar 18", Oyster Interior

robertW

Post by robertW » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:30 pm

Good evening and welcome Duchess.

My observations of ECO is that it supresses throttle sensitivity. A depression of the accelerator in ECO opens the throttle less than it does in D, to allow closer control of gradual acceleration - allowing gentler acceleration when required and thereby using less fuel - but only during gentle acceleration.

ECO will still match D for consumption when cruising speeds are identical or for hard acelleation - the car needs the same power to move at constant speed or accelerate rapidly whether in ECO or D - so no economy is gained during constant speed cruising or lively speed changes - the economy only cuts in when gently speed changes are used - made much easier to achieve using ECO.

Of course, harsh acceleration is still available in ECO but deeper depressions of the accelerator is needed.

So to my mind, ECO is the preferred setting for all driving - it offers both fine control of speed (at any speed - but particularly useful in busy 30 limits) with some economy as a result, but will also allow lively driving when required (but then, returning no economy).
240 Portfolio, July 2015, adaptive cruise, queue assist, advanced park, 360° cameras, folding mirrors.

ColinR

Post by ColinR » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:30 am

Eco also limits how hard the air con will work and turns off cold weather essentials like heated seats / wheel etc. Fine in the summer but at this time of year I'm afraid my comfort comes above economy :)

So far I've not managed to get over 40 mpg but then I'm still enjoying the performance a bit too much :lol:

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:31 am

What's ECO Mode?
Have I missed something?
:lol:
Current: XE S 380, Storm grey Pics Black venoms/black pack, 18 ways, BSM, 40/20/40, ICTPro 380, parking pack, spare wheel.
Previous: 2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

pauljobr

Post by pauljobr » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:26 am

PhilB wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:31 am
What's ECO Mode?
Have I missed something?
PhilB I don't think it is a feature of the S models
;) ;)
R-Sport 180 Auto, Ultimate Black, Jet / Light Oyster, Meridian Audio, Power Fold Mirrors, Satin Ash veneer, Radiance Alloys, Black Pack.

bob_mcn

Post by bob_mcn » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:44 am

Hmmmm.

i must admit most of my journeys are short local stuff, and i do like 'dynamic 's'' mode, so i suppose my 25.9 mpg is not too bad, i did try manual gear changes as well and got it down to 16.4 mpg, ;)

Must try harder. After all it is a Jaguar. Grace, Space and Pace. :D

In perspective, my old Vauxhall Insignia SRI 140 BHP petrol did the same figures, just didn't have the Grace or Pace bit. :roll:
Bob Mc.
Caesium Blue, Portfolio 240, MY2017, and a selection of addons. viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3470

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:15 am

PhilB wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:31 am
What's ECO Mode?
Have I missed something?
This is when polar bears and penguins get in the rear seats. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Back with my XE :D

ianp

Post by ianp » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:50 pm

I drive mine in eco mode and cover about 20k so far. Average fuel consumption is about 43 mpg. Have got it as high as 61 but that was really sad driving!
MY2017 XE R-Sport 25t 250ps Caesium Blue, Oyster/Black leather, 825w Meridian, 11 inch InControl Pro, service plan, stop/start, 19" alloys, heated windscreen, cameras, winter pack and cruise.

ColinR

Post by ColinR » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:08 pm

On my trip to work this morning I managed 12.6 :lol: :lol: :lol:

1.4 miles average speed 15mph

Return to “Introductions”