A hello from London - May I ask your advice?

New to the Jaguar XE Forums? Introduce yourself here
Iggy

Re: A hello from London - May I ask your advice?

Post by Iggy » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:48 pm

I think the exterior difference between R-Sport & other trims is actually quite a difference despite the apparent subtlety, it is all part of Jaguar's appeal - I wanted a sports saloon & the R-Sport really works well for that, don't forget it has slightly stiffer suspension which helps the drive feel sporty as well as the exterior, however if I was looking for a luxury saloon I would be happier with the Portfolio and of course it comes with a better specced interior as standard as well as a softer ride, so horses for courses!
R-Sport 200, BRG, Electric folding and auto dimming door mirrors, Heated front windscreen and timer, Blind spot monitor, Satin fine line wood veneer, 19" 15 spoke black radiance wheels, Lighting pack, Advanced parking pack

billvega

Post by billvega » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:23 pm

I got to chip in with the Meridian thing again. I had yet another courtesy car with it today, it is not to my taste. The sound is boxy, I can honestly say my standard jag system is better. Tons of sub with no distortion, clear rich sound and volume far in excess of what you would ever want. I seem to be the ONLY one with this opinion, but I'll keep on giving it :lol:

To get any decent sound from the Meridian the bass has to be increased to just under max, midrange cut to reduce the boxy sound and more top end added.

All I am saying is, don't let the Meridian be a clincher. Test the same audio in both systems and make up your own mind. I use the bluetooth from my Galaxy S8, use poweramp player with adjusted eq and the jag system flat. You are going to get different sound from DAB, FM and MP3. It all depends on the style of music you run and the quality of your MP3's. For electronic music it's good.

I am not sure if the standard system was improved on MY18 cars which is what mine is, perhaps this is the reason.

Btw, you will pay more buying from London/ Brentwood than other dealers further outside greater London.
XE R Sport 180, MY18, Corris Grey, Black Pack/Venoms, Cold Climate, 40/20/40, Parking Pack, 10-Way Seats & 4-Way Lumbar.

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:54 am

billvega wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:23 pm
Tons of sub with no distortion, clear rich sound and volume far in excess of what you would ever want. I seem to be the ONLY one with this opinion, but I'll keep on giving it :lol:

To get any decent sound from the Meridian the bass has to be increased to just under max, midrange cut to reduce the boxy sound and more top end added.
Are you sure you really have the standard 6 speaker 80w job Bill?
:lol:
It's just that the standard one doesn't have a Sub and your description about getting decent sounds out of the Meridian is exactly what I had to do once to get anything like decent sounds out of a loaner with the standard 80w set up.
:D
Current: XE S 380, Storm grey Pics Black venoms/black pack, 18 ways, BSM, 40/20/40, ICTPro 380, parking pack, spare wheel.
Previous: 2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

billvega

Post by billvega » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:21 am

PhilB wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:54 am
billvega wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:23 pm
Tons of sub with no distortion, clear rich sound and volume far in excess of what you would ever want. I seem to be the ONLY one with this opinion, but I'll keep on giving it :lol:

Are you sure you really have the standard 6 speaker 80w job Bill?
:lol:
It's just that the standard one doesn't have a Sub and your description about getting decent sounds out of the Meridian is exactly what I had to do once to get anything like decent sounds out of a loaner with the standard 80w set up.
:D
You know what Phil, I was wondering that! I defo have sub bass so wtf is going on. Is there no mention of an improved system on my18 cars?
XE R Sport 180, MY18, Corris Grey, Black Pack/Venoms, Cold Climate, 40/20/40, Parking Pack, 10-Way Seats & 4-Way Lumbar.

Thorn

Post by Thorn » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:34 am

My experience of the Meridian setup is certainly at odds with yours, Bill. The sound is clearer than I’ve experienced in a car before, and I can follow individual instruments easily. But I like a clear mid range, and am not into heavy bass, so maybe we’re interested in different aspects of the music.

billvega

Post by billvega » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:24 am

I think I'm just getting more out of the system because of the set up on my poweramp player on my phone. When playing the radio and adjusting the jag eq its no where near as good. Everything is compressed to hell on the radio.

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:06 am

billvega wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:21 am
You know what Phil, I was wondering that! I defo have sub bass so wtf is going on. Is there no mention of an improved system on my18 cars?
I've just had a spin through the Meridian bumpf on the Jag site and can't see any changes.
Best way to check for a sub is to play some tunes and open the boot and stick your head in on the right hand side near where the bottom of the rear seat meets the floor.
If you have a sub then that's where it is and is very noticeable.
Not trying to teach you to suck eggs but I take it you have counted the speakers in the cabin and you have 6 not the 10 with the Meridian?
Current: XE S 380, Storm grey Pics Black venoms/black pack, 18 ways, BSM, 40/20/40, ICTPro 380, parking pack, spare wheel.
Previous: 2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

billvega

Post by billvega » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:54 pm

Yeah, I don't have a dedicated sub but can get loads of low frequency from these speakers, just been out with some '93 Hardcore on the go and the bass was vibrating right through my seat.

Return to “Introductions”