It’s time Jaguar owner

New to the Jaguar XE Forums? Introduce yourself here
Doug1e

Re: It’s time Jaguar owner

Post by Doug1e » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:27 pm

Finally managed to upload a couple of photos of my first Jaguar 😀
Jaguar XE R-Sport D Auto 180, 67 plate, Indus Silver,19" alloys, Merdian, rear camera, parking pack, Xeon, panoramic sunroof, memory seats, folding mirrors, Nokian WR A4 winter tyres.

ms1012

Post by ms1012 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:20 pm

Lovely car, Doug1e! Going by the pics, Taggarts at Hillington?
MY 2016 180D XE Portfolio - Corris Grey - Nokian WD4 winters

Doug1e

Post by Doug1e » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:36 pm

Hi ms1012, yes purchased from taggarts Hillington 👍.
Jaguar XE R-Sport D Auto 180, 67 plate, Indus Silver,19" alloys, Merdian, rear camera, parking pack, Xeon, panoramic sunroof, memory seats, folding mirrors, Nokian WR A4 winter tyres.

Sherlock Ohms

Post by Sherlock Ohms » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:54 pm

Lovely car!

Winter (or all season) tyres every time. Winter tyres on a RWD car should give you better traction on snow & ice than most vehicles running on summer tyres (many AWD included) - BMW are made in Bavaria after all.

As for using all the bells & whistles for driving in snow & ice, I think there is no substitute for practice BEFORE you need to use them in anger.
You can try engaging ASPC on a quiet track - get the feel of how it kicks in (to me, the handbook doesn’t really explain it that well) and what steady progress feels like at speeds quite alien to most XE drivers. ASPC gets the right revs & torque better than most untrained drivers and does all sorts of clever things with ABS to stop wheel-spin. You just steer.
My instructor’s mantra was “as slow as possible, as fast as necessary”. ASPC seems to agree with him.

Winter mode gets the gear changes right for winter driving on the open road as much as trying to get out of a snowy car park.

With the right rubber, you should be able to go anywhere as long as the snow is no deeper than your front spoiler. If it is deeper, open your survival box and enjoy some chocolate.
The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.
Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

Doug1e

Post by Doug1e » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:10 pm

Hi Sherlock Ohms, thanks for 5he great advice. I have been trying out the ASPC now the snow is away to get a feel for it. As previously mentioned my problem when engaging the ASPC in the snow I forgot to manually release the handbrake this caused the wheels to spin as I increased the speed to release the brake.
Yes as many replies from other owners,the winter tyres seems to be the way to go. I’ve been struggling to get the tyre sizes on my xe but maybe now the snow is away I have been able to see some winter tyres in the sizes I’m looking for, 255/35/19 & 225/40/19. Can you tell me if these are good winter tyres for my xe, Pirelli SottoZero3. If anyone has any recommendations from experience on which tyres would be suited best for winter driving.

Doug1e

Post by Doug1e » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:14 pm

Just an update. I’ve eventually managed to get a set of winter tyres fitted. I decided to go for the Nokian WR A4. A workmate recommended the Nokians and said he has used them in all weather conditions over the last year. He has used them throughout the year and has used very little tread. Early days yet as no snow but I’ll update if and when the snow returns.
Feeling a lot more confident now.

ms1012

Post by ms1012 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:52 pm

The Nokians are great, I have the 4's on my current XE and had the 3's on my previous car... When it comes to winter gear I trust nordic design without hesitation! :)
MY 2016 180D XE Portfolio - Corris Grey - Nokian WD4 winters

147daytona

Post by 147daytona » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:14 am

Doug1e wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:14 pm
Just an update. I’ve eventually managed to get a set of winter tyres fitted. I decided to go for the Nokian WR A4.
hee hee, just in time for summer :lol:
MY20 Carpathian Grey 300 R-Dynamic HSE AWD + loads of extras!
Previous, MY17 Italian Racing Red 240 R-Sport

Doug1e

Post by Doug1e » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:33 pm

Ha ha was thinking that myself but summer doesn’t start in Feb up here 147 daytona. I’ll be using the tyres all year round as there supposed to be good in dry and wet roads 👍

bob_mcn

Post by bob_mcn » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:42 pm

If our weather runs true to form, after a couple of early cold weeks, it picks up for a few weeks, then POW :o , hits us for a real cold/wet/icy/snowy patch, usually early/mid March to mid/end of April. Sometimes even into May.
Bob McN.
Oct'16 to Oct'18: Caesium Blue, Portfolio 240, MY2017, selection of addons.
Oct'18 to Sept 20 : Caldera Red, XE 300 Sport, MY2019, bigger selection of addons
Oct '20 on : Eiger grey, 1st Edition F Type P300 coupe, MY2021