It’s time Jaguar owner

New to the Jaguar XE Forums? Introduce yourself here
Doug1e

It’s time Jaguar owner

Post by Doug1e » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:46 pm

Hi everyone, just purchase our first Jaguar Xe R-Sport 180, my 2017. Previously had a mk3 Audi TT. Early days but we are loving the Jaguar. The ride is so comfortable and everything feels solid. This is my first auto since my Rover 75 days and loving it.
Only had it a few days and we have had snow and ice since. I am new to an automatic so not sure if I’m driving it wrong. The issue I have is it’s terrible in snow/ice. When parked at work there is a very slight slope I have to drive out and it’s cover in snow. I’m finding it very difficult to pull out of my parking bay with snow as the rear wheel keeps spinning. I’ve tried driving out and reversing out and rear wheels are spinning. I’ve tried in drive and the snow flake mode but still not gripping.
Any advice on how I should be pulling away in snow/ice would be greatly appreciated.
Jaguar XE R-Sport D Auto 180, 67 plate, Indus Silver,19" alloys, Merdian, rear camera, parking pack, Xeon, panoramic sunroof, memory seats, folding mirrors, Nokian WR A4 winter tyres.

martind511

Re: It’s time Jaguar owner

Post by martind511 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:56 pm

Hello - have you tried using the 'All Surface Progress Control'? The button is located in front of the parking brake button and acts like a low speed cruise control when driving on difficult surfaces - it worked well last year when my XF was stuck on the drive becuase of the snow.
MY 2019 Jaguar XE Landmark 25T - Santorini Black, Sunroof, 10 way electric seats, folding mirrors and split fold seats.
MY 2018 Jaguar F-Pace Portfolio 25T - BRG with Latté interior, Sunroof, LED adaptive Lights, ICTP and Electrically Deployable Towbar.

Doug1e

Post by Doug1e » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:06 pm

Hi Martin, yes I used it today but the rear wheels just kept spinning on the snow. Maybe I wasn’t using it correctly but this is what I done.
Was parked front in so I had to reverse out on a very slight slope covered in snow/ice. After trying the snow flake mode I pressed the progress button on and it showed up on the dash it was on. I then put it into reverse then pressed the plus button on the cruise control but the wheel just started spinning.
Jaguar XE R-Sport D Auto 180, 67 plate, Indus Silver,19" alloys, Merdian, rear camera, parking pack, Xeon, panoramic sunroof, memory seats, folding mirrors, Nokian WR A4 winter tyres.

BevC

Post by BevC » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:49 pm

Did you try releasing the electronic parking brake manually as it has to put a certain amount of power on to release automatically.
Current MY2019 Corris Grey/Oyster Portfolio 180 Auto AWD
Previously MY2015 Polaris White/Ebony Prestige 163 Manual

Doug1e

Post by Doug1e » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:06 pm

Hi BevC, no I never released the brake as I thought it released itself. The wheels did spin but maybe that was the problem as I increased the cruise speed to try and move then once the brake released I was at too high of cruise speed.

Thorn

Post by Thorn » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:08 am

Put a paving slab in the boot.

Bazzamf

Post by Bazzamf » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:49 pm

Winter tyres would probably remedy the issue.
Bazzamf - 2017 XE 200PS Petrol Ingenium Portfolio in Santorini Black

appleybridger

Post by appleybridger » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:34 pm

A tip a driving instructor gave me when parking was to drive backwards and forwards a couple of times to flatten the snow under the wheels.

Doug1e

Post by Doug1e » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:13 pm

Thanks all for some great advice. Tried the progress traction today and released handbrake manually and it was a lot better. Think I was trying to release brake with increasing the cruise speed causing the rear wheels to spin.
Slab in the boot sound good as the other day when it was slipping to pull out a snowy parking space a passer by sat in my boot to give the back wheels some traction.
Been trying all over today for winter tyres with no success locally. Fronts are 225/40/19 and rears 255/35/19, is this correct for my 2017 auto Xe 2Ld 180 rsport?
What tyres do you recommend as the price varies a lot when looking online.
Do I get winter tyres all round or just on the rear?
Any recommendations where to buy winter tyres?

Cheers
Dougie

sarmes

Post by sarmes » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:31 pm

I use Pirelli Sottozeros and usually buy from Camskill or Oponeo and get my local fitter to fit them.
200ps Ingenium R-Sport MY19, Fuji White, Heated Front Screen, Parking pack, Space saver, 10way Seats, Lumbar support and Towbar