Hello from London

New to the Jaguar XE Forums? Introduce yourself here
mrb

Re: Hello from London

Post by mrb » Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:30 am

Interesting write up! I have had my XE R-Sport AWD for 10 days now and love it. I had a 2010 XFS pre-facelift before which had Adaptive CC, but cut out below 20mph. I searched for a AWD XE with Adaptive cruise within my budget for about 2 months. I really like the queue assist feature of the XE ACC when stuck on the M5 stop starting all the time. Also like you mentioned it's fun seeing the lighting change to red in Dynamic mode. I haven't tried any apps with it as still waiting for log book so I can get them changed over. When I turned up for work in it the next day a colleague greeted me but didn't notice I'd changed the car! My XFS was dark green and the XE is Corris grey. Oh well.
2017 MY R-Sport AWD XE with ACC, Configurable Dynamics, etc, etc. Previous Jags: XJ6 series 2, XJ X350, XFS Portfolio.

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:58 am

Inpher wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:54 am
In fact the car just generally sounds a lot better (the noise in the BMW was fake), with the combination of intake sound, supercharger whine and exhaust growl. I'm not sure what it sounds like from outside, but presumably it is louder.

At idle though, especially when cold, the engine itself sounds quite rough. It's a direct injection engine (and they always sound a bit rough), plus it's a V6 which is inherently unbalanced at idle compared to the BMW inline six, which you could barely tell was running other than some faint injector noise. So maybe I'm just comparing the two. Also related to the engine, I suspect it's running quite rich but will be using my OBD plug to check tomorrow. Why do I suspect it's running rich? Well, there was some soot build up on the exhaust tips (cleaned off with Autosol), the economy is a few MPG short of what I expected (maybe 36-37mpg on a long run at 70mph - I expected about 40mpg), and I could smell a little unburnt petrol. Anyone else with the same engine able to comment on whether this is normal?
In normal running the car is pretty quiet but give it some welly and it changes character.
I regularly use a route coming off a motorway with the two-way roundabout being underneath so a big boomy tunnel.
It has traffic lights so I often open the window and give it a "spirited" take off.
I manage to go from the low growl up as far as the snarl and believe me the noise bouncing off the walls is pretty loud.

As regards consumption and the engine.
Yes, when cold just after start up it can be a bit tappety but once up to temp mine is near enough silent from the inside.
Just a low burble from the exhausts on the outside.
On a motorway run at "normal" motorway speeds I get around 33/34 mpg so you are pretty close.
Soot on the exhaust trims will build up over time but nothing to worry about.
Like you I use Autosol which cleans and protects the chrome.
MY20 RR Evoque P300 HSE.
2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.
2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.

Inpher

Post by Inpher » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:31 pm

Yes I think I am perhaps expecting too much. On a perfect run though, I'm sure the car is capable of 39-40 mpg (not that it would be any fun).

Unfortunately, some of the concerns expressed on here before I went ahead with the purchase could have been well-founded. The steering column has developed a loud squeak/groan when the car is fully warmed up and the steering wheel is turned. Some slight vibration can be felt through the wheel when it does this, which I've tested so far at speeds of up to about 20mph. It sounds a bit like someone pressing and rubbing their finger on a window.

I can recall seeing some threads on here when the model was newish, about similar noises from the steering. Perhaps this car never had the "fix" for it - which as I understand it looking at the other threads, was a new rack and or column. Glad I have the warranty as I can't imagine that's cheap! I'm going to book it in at the first opportunity...

mdem

Post by mdem » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:42 pm

You can certainly get 40 mpg on a motorway run. We drove from Ballarat to Melbourne which is around 120km (75 miles) this weekend and managed just over 40 mpg at the outskirts of the city. That’s doing a constant 100 to 110 km/h most of the way (60 to 70 mph) and fairly flat terrain.

Then of course it went down considerably in the city traffic.
MY2017 XE S, Dark Sapphire, Propellor wheels, Adaptive cruise control, Sunroof, Climate front seats, Heated rear seats, ICT Pro, Meridian 825W, Carbon fibre mirror covers and side vents, 40/20/40 rear seats, Perforated Taurus leather sports seats.

Inpher

Post by Inpher » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:59 pm

So a bit of an update about the noise I mentioned on my last post...

I took the car to a service centre on Tuesday to have it looked at. They called me this afternoon to say they'd diagnosed a dry bearing and had lubricated this. They said it wasn't covered under the used approved warranty and said the charge was £192 (for the inspection and fix). I said fine, I would have to reclaim the cost from the seller. I may give the used approved people a call though to make sure this is right...

I left work a little early so I could make it to the place on public transport before it closed - about a 1 hour journey. The car was parked outside the workshop and it looked like a seagull had eaten a curry and flown over it, which wasn't the best of starts. I paid, got the keys and job card and got in. The first thing I noticed on switching on the ignition was the A/C was blowing a gale at the "LO" setting. Maybe it was hot in the workshop. I went to turn out of the parking space and thought I could feel a vibration through the steering. Bemused, I switched off the A/C and listened while turning the wheel. Sure enough, the squeaking was still there.

I went back into the service centre to let them know, and they sent for the technician. He told me he'd road tested it three times and it had been fine, but conceded when he came out and checked, that it was still making the noise. He said it was a bearing at the base of the steering column and it would now need to be replaced. I'm not entirely confident in their diagnosis skills seeing as they seem to have been unable to hear the noise after trying to fix it, but let's see what happens.

I did find an interesting field service action on TOPIX which refers to squeaking from the clock spring area (behind the steering wheel) in very early XEs, which was found to be caused by pieces of foam behind the upper steering wheel cover. A really easy fix if that's the problem so I've asked them to look into this first.

Indianajons

Post by Indianajons » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:31 am

Inpher wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:59 pm
So a bit of an update about the noise I mentioned on my last post...

I took the car to a service centre on Tuesday to have it looked at. They called me this afternoon to say they'd diagnosed a dry bearing and had lubricated this. They said it wasn't covered under the used approved warranty and said the charge was £192 (for the inspection and fix). I said fine, I would have to reclaim the cost from the seller. I may give the used approved people a call though to make sure this is right...

I left work a little early so I could make it to the place on public transport before it closed - about a 1 hour journey. The car was parked outside the workshop and it looked like a seagull had eaten a curry and flown over it, which wasn't the best of starts. I paid, got the keys and job card and got in. The first thing I noticed on switching on the ignition was the A/C was blowing a gale at the "LO" setting. Maybe it was hot in the workshop. I went to turn out of the parking space and thought I could feel a vibration through the steering. Bemused, I switched off the A/C and listened while turning the wheel. Sure enough, the squeaking was still there.

I went back into the service centre to let them know, and they sent for the technician. He told me he'd road tested it three times and it had been fine, but conceded when he came out and checked, that it was still making the noise. He said it was a bearing at the base of the steering column and it would now need to be replaced. I'm not entirely confident in their diagnosis skills seeing as they seem to have been unable to hear the noise after trying to fix it, but let's see what happens.

I did find an interesting field service action on TOPIX which refers to squeaking from the clock spring area (behind the steering wheel) in very early XEs, which was found to be caused by pieces of foam behind the upper steering wheel cover. A really easy fix if that's the problem so I've asked them to look into this first.
Unfortunately, in my experience, the Jaguar dealership ‘techs’ couldn’t diagnose the skin on a rice pudding (unless computer says yes). It’s what puts me off buying another Jag.
2017 MY tempest grey Portfolio 180D, folding mirrors, 14 way seats, memory pack, cold weather pack, 360 parking, wi-fi hotspot

Inpher

Post by Inpher » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:55 am

Update on this...

The noise/vibration from the steering appears to be fixed now on the second try, and it turned out the underlying problem (whatever it was as they haven't told me) was something covered by the warranty. The dealer is also refunding the fee for the initial investigation, which is good.

The steering does feel a bit different now - I'm finding it somewhat vague in situations where you need to make small adjustments to keep the car straight - like on the motorway. I'm going to check tyre pressures but I wonder if, in dropping the steering column out, the garage has altered the alignment? I only had the suspension aligned shortly after picking up the car (it was out of spec) so if I have it done again and it's out then chances are it's happened during the repairs.

Inpher

Post by Inpher » Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:24 am

Just thought I'd post another update.

I've spent more time with the car and the issue with the steering definitely seems to be fixed. Whatever vagueness was there after the repair has gone (or I've adapted to it).

I have some new-found respect for the XE's handling too. Near my family home there's a 90 degree right-hander followed by another 90 degree left-hander, so there's lots of weight transfer. Many years ago when driving a 1.1l hatchback it was always a bit hairy even at 30mph even though the limit is 40, and my dad managed to spin out his XK there one day. No harm done but he ended up pointing the wrong way down the road.

Anyway, last weekend I took the XE through the same stretch of road at about 40mph in Dynamic mode. It cornered almost completely flat on the right-hander and then as I applied the throttle a tad early coming through the left-hander I felt the back end break traction for a split second before it straightened up. Quite exhilarating to be honest, but I'm pretty cautious and don't want to push it much further than that!

I had a much scarier moment on a diversion at night a few weeks back on unfamiliar rural roads. I took what I thought was an ordinary tight bend at what I thought was an appropriate speed for said bend, to find it unexpectedly tightening further and the car understeering onto the wrong side of the road. I was lucky there was nothing coming the other way. I know everyone knows this anyway, but do drive cautiously on unknown roads, especially at night!

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:12 pm

Good write up.
I always found the traction control to be pretty unintrusive and it seemed to need a lot to get the lights flashing.
But I think there is a lot going on behind the scenes such as the torque vectoring by braking which I never noticed but I'm sure was active.
It's nice to see you getting to know your S and driving it in the way it was intended to be driven!
:D
MY20 RR Evoque P300 HSE.
2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.
2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.

Inpher

Post by Inpher » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:53 pm

Another update. I had the car detailed last week at a highly-regarded local outfit - a small sample of the results below which I was very happy with:

Car.jpg

The detailer did notice some interesting defects which I hadn't seen before and I'm not sure if it's worth bringing up with the original dealership. There's a circular section of the boot lid next to the number-plate where the paint has started to bubble/blister slightly, which is a sign of a poor paintwork repair. This wasn't visible before purchase so I can only assume it's begun to break through the paintwork relatively recently. I understand it can take some time for these kind of defects to manifest themselves...

The detailer also said the front bumper is not the same colour as the rest of the car and is probably a respray. Honestly, the colour difference isn't visible outside in the daylight, but I could see it in their workshop. The finish is also slightly matt which you can see if you look at where the light is reflecting from the lower bumper. I'm not too worried about it at the moment, but the boot-lid is more of a concern as if it wasn't there before I suspect it will get worse.

Return to “Introductions”