CONTINUOUS VARIABLE DAMPING

New to the Jaguar XE Forums? Introduce yourself here
mrb

CONTINUOUS VARIABLE DAMPING

Post by mrb » Sat May 25, 2019 2:28 pm

Hi

This forum is very informative.

I am moving from an XF to an XE and hope to pick up my car next Thursday.

Please could some tell me what• CONTINUOUS VARIABLE DAMPING means on topix? Is this configurable?

XE is a 2016 AWD R sport auto.

Thank you
Peter
2017 MY R-Sport AWD XE with ACC, Configurable Dynamics, etc, etc. Previous Jags: XJ6 series 2, XJ X350, XFS Portfolio.

Crieffy

Re: CONTINUOUS VARIABLE DAMPING

Post by Crieffy » Sat May 25, 2019 6:07 pm

Hi,
MIne has the same thing listed in Topix, and my car definitely doesn't have the configurable dynamics. I'm still delighted with how it feels though - quite a big difference in how the accelerator responds in the different modes.

Edit/ just had a peek at Topix again - says "LESS CONFIGURABLE DRIVER MODES" down the bottom - along with all the other bits I don't have :lol: :lol:

John
Last edited by Crieffy on Sat May 25, 2019 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
R-Sport 180, Caldera Red, rear camera, front parking assist, 10-way seats

mrb

Post by mrb » Sat May 25, 2019 6:10 pm

Thanks for your help. I suspected as much, but can't complain as it has loads of other features!
2017 MY R-Sport AWD XE with ACC, Configurable Dynamics, etc, etc. Previous Jags: XJ6 series 2, XJ X350, XFS Portfolio.

BrendonSF

Post by BrendonSF » Sat May 25, 2019 8:38 pm

I have it on my car. Highly doubt you'd be able to discern much of a difference with or without it.
With configurable dynamics, you are able to select Normal or "Dynamic" (sport) for the dampers. I can't tell any difference between the two.

Adaptive Dampers
The adaptive dampers have an electrical connector on the end of the piston rod, in the center of the top mount.

In each damper, the damping adjustment is achieved by a solenoid-operated variable orifice, which opens an alternative path for oil flow within the damper. When deenergized, the bypass is closed and all the oil flows through the main (firm) piston. When energized, the solenoid moves an armature and control blade, which work against a spring. The control blade incorporates an orifice which slides inside a sintered housing to open up the bypass as required.

In the firm setting oil flows through the main (firm) valve only, but when the bypass is opened by any amount, the oil flows through both valves in balanced pressure.

When fully energized, the solenoid moves the armature and slider to the maximum extension and opens the orifice completely. The damper operates continuously between these two boundary conditions.

The solenoid in each damper is operated by a 526 Hz PWM signal from the ADCM. When fully energized, the ADCM applies a 1.5A current to operate the damper in the soft setting. When de-energized (no current applied) the damper is in the firm setting. The current varies continuously as required to increase and decrease the damping individually in each of the dampers.
'17 XE 3.0 R-Sport: Arctic White on Red | Technology Pack with ICT Pro | Adaptive Dynamics | HUD | 19" Venoms | Black Pack

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Sun May 26, 2019 8:32 am

BrendonSF wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 8:38 pm
Adaptive Dampers
The adaptive dampers have an electrical connector on the end of the piston rod, in the center of the top mount.

In each damper, the damping adjustment is achieved by a solenoid-operated variable orifice, which opens an alternative path for oil flow within the damper. When deenergized, the bypass is closed and all the oil flows through the main (firm) piston. When energized, the solenoid moves an armature and control blade, which work against a spring. The control blade incorporates an orifice which slides inside a sintered housing to open up the bypass as required.

In the firm setting oil flows through the main (firm) valve only, but when the bypass is opened by any amount, the oil flows through both valves in balanced pressure.

When fully energized, the solenoid moves the armature and slider to the maximum extension and opens the orifice completely. The damper operates continuously between these two boundary conditions.

The solenoid in each damper is operated by a 526 Hz PWM signal from the ADCM. When fully energized, the ADCM applies a 1.5A current to operate the damper in the soft setting. When de-energized (no current applied) the damper is in the firm setting. The current varies continuously as required to increase and decrease the damping individually in each of the dampers.
Or, in simple terms from a Jaguar "blurb":
" How does Adaptive Dynamics work?

Adaptive Dynamics is a combination of intelligent sensors and continuously variable suspension dampers. The system constantly adjusts the dampers to provide the optimum balance between comfort and refinement at all times. The system adapts 500 times a second to steering movement and 100 times a second to body movements. It analyses acceleration, cornering, throttle and brake pedal activity, as well as kick-down activation on models with automatic transmission. The adaptive dampers can then use this information to constantly adjust and fine-tune to give you a composed ride with maximum control."

:D
MY20 RR Evoque P300 HSE.
2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.
2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.

Return to “Introductions”