looking to buy an XE

New to the Jaguar XE Forums? Introduce yourself here
redcurrymonster

looking to buy an XE

Post by redcurrymonster » Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:48 pm

Hi never owned a luxury car, decided to take the plunge and buy myself a used XE r sport.

just seen it at a showroom and was actually blown away by the interior. the outside looks lovely although the car was dirty so I couldn't appreciate the paintwork was a dark grey.

im about 90% sure im going to buy although considering a bmw 320d m sport.

questions,

looking to spend around 12-13k

ill be doing under 10k miles a year,

looking at deisel, automatic.

i may take out rac warranty.

How reliable are they, anything i should be looking out for?

any help advice appreciated.

JAGDH

Re: looking to buy an XE

Post by JAGDH » Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:33 pm

Not had mine long, but they seem reliable based on articles I’ve read and posts on these forums. Will help to know the age of the one you’re looking at and also the mileage.

I would check the service history, I think you just need the VIN for this, lookup “Jaguar osh” on Google to see where to enter it and get the service history.

Check if the SD Card is present for the navigation system, if not a new one can only be bought and setup by Jaguar - even if you won’t use the built in Nav, it also prevents the car from reading out SMS when it’s not present I believe.

If you need folding seats, double check this one has it, the boot isn’t huge on these and folding seats was an extra.

Also think about the length of your journeys, not specific to a Jag XE but modern diesels have DPF filters and if you mostly do city driving that could become a burden - I didn’t know much about DPF, coming from a 2.0 diesel Audi A4 from 2009, luckily most of my driving is on the motorway so it’s never going to be an issue for me, but regular short journeys can lead to need to inconveniently go out on a long run to clear the filter. I don’t think 10K mileage itself is an issue, but if they are all short local journeys maybe consider a petrol. I would definitely go for an auto in a luxury car personally
XE 2L Diesel [180] R-Sport (2015/65 Plate/MY16)

redcurrymonster

Post by redcurrymonster » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:16 pm

thanks, great tips.

looking for 2016 or 17 plate under 50k miles. r sport.

yeah might look into petrol.. i do mainly London driving, once a year drive to the in laws in Manchester, so thats the only motorway i do.

so excited...

Ian0304

Post by Ian0304 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:02 pm

I wouldn’t have thought there will be too many 17 plate under 50k miles around for 12-13k but let’s hope you find one. I’ve had lots of BMW 320d and in my opinion the Jag is superior in every aspect other than the auto box which I preferred on the BMW. The XE is a fantastic looking car and pretty well made. Full service history is a must for me and try to negotiate an extended warranty as they have their faults like every other badge. Just gives you a bit of a safety net. Ensure tyres and brakes are fine as you don’t want any big bills shortly after purchase. Good luck.
XE R-Sport 25D AWD, grey, 14 way memory seats/folding mirrors, advanced park, meridian, black pack, privacy, split/folding rear seats.

Kaikoura

Post by Kaikoura » Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:30 pm

Just collected my 2016 XE. I chose petrol and if you are only going to do 10k miles that has to be the better option. Mine was low mileage, less than 10K, and therefore more expensive. But low mileage brings its own issues and sometimes a higher mileage can be a better option. I did see plenty of cars under 50K but not at your target price.

IMHO the bottom line is that you will get a bigger smile on your face from the Jaguar than a BMW. The added bonus is that the Jaguar community is filled with a better quality of person, who know where the indicator switch is located :lol:
Richard Green

I know what's wrong, and if I could find it, I'd fix it.

2016 XE R-Sport - HJ16XES (Cat); 2004 XKR convertible - RG04XKR (Animal); 1975 Triumph TR6 - HPR30N (Rob)

redcurrymonster

Post by redcurrymonster » Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:09 pm

i see so many bmws and mercs on the road, ive always wanted a luxury car, a another reason was my dad always wanted a nice car, the best he manage was a c reg astra, and im also driving a pretty crappy car now, so this is kinda in memory of him... (oh damn somethings in my eye)

willing to up my budget to 14k,

the tax is higher and mpg is worse on petrol?

also its kind of confusing whats standard and whats extras when looking on autotrader... or must have extras you recommend..

is the drive much different in a petrol engine?

Jeff123

Post by Jeff123 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:52 pm

For a petrol, you may need to stretch your budget, but if a diesel is OK for you, there are a few available on the Jaguar website, such as this. They would probably come down to £14k.

https://used.jaguar.co.uk/search#/details/3027161
XE R-Dynamic 180d Eiger Grey MY20

redcurrymonster

Post by redcurrymonster » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:44 pm

I just found a great car on Auto Trader.
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... obcid=soc3

I really like this one....

thoughts?

Deleted User 732

Post by Deleted User 732 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:01 am

redcurrymonster wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:44 pm
I just found a great car on Auto Trader.
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... obcid=soc3

I really like this one....

thoughts?
It's a petrol Ford engined version. Looks tidy but the mileage is a bit over the usual average. No rear folding seats as far as I can see and that may be a bit of a pain as the boot is small. Manual steering column adjust so no memory seats and manual adjust seats. The mention of "forward facing camera" is standard and is NOT a dash cam or visible image maker in the screen. Personally I would keep looking for higher spec. Don't let glitzy paintwork rule your head.

Ian0304

Post by Ian0304 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:20 am

Agree there’s better to be had, it took me months to find mine with lots of travelling and viewed some right lemons dealerships included. maybe take somebody with a bit of experience and 2 pairs of eyes are better than 1.
XE R-Sport 25D AWD, grey, 14 way memory seats/folding mirrors, advanced park, meridian, black pack, privacy, split/folding rear seats.