looking to buy an XE

New to the Jaguar XE Forums? Introduce yourself here
Vespa

Re: looking to buy an XE

Post by Vespa » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:40 am

Ian0304 wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:20 am
Agree there’s better to be had, it took me months to find mine with lots of travelling and viewed some right lemons dealerships included. maybe take somebody with a bit of experience and 2 pairs of eyes are better than 1.
Anecdote........ I was once asked to look at a car with someone and it was a right heap of the highest order. I told him so and to walk away. The seller dropped the price £10 (cars were cheap in the olden days :lol: ) He then turned to the seller and "Ill take it" I was gobsmacked. Two days later I got the blame as I hadn't pointed out the rust (he must have thought it was a feature) and all the oil leaks (visible even to a blind man). Needless to say I told him about a journey with sex and travel. :lol: :lol:
180 diesel XE R Sport auto, with many extras :D and working stop/start :lol: Made to work Feb 2019 by me

Faltwen

Post by Faltwen » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:43 am

Just have to say, the Ford engine in the earlier petrol versions is not a negative, it's a well proven reliable engine.
2016 Jaguar XE Prestige 20T in Bluefire.
Parking pack fitted but not used.
S/S still working on original battery!n
Did have two X Types, a 2.5L then a 2.2L Auto with the dreaded DPF. No more DPF's for me.

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:29 am

I didn't say it was unreliable, just pointing out the fact.
180 diesel XE R Sport auto, with many extras :D and working stop/start :lol: Made to work Feb 2019 by me

Faltwen

Post by Faltwen » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:35 am

Sorry, wasn't implying that, but for some reason the Ford engine does get bad press. Again, especially on Facebook. I reckon I'll have to stop browsing that particular XE page. Lol
2016 Jaguar XE Prestige 20T in Bluefire.
Parking pack fitted but not used.
S/S still working on original battery!n
Did have two X Types, a 2.5L then a 2.2L Auto with the dreaded DPF. No more DPF's for me.

Ian0304

Post by Ian0304 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:52 pm

My research suggested the Ford 240 was a fine engine and I actually put a deposit down on one but it was incorrectly advertised when I arrived and didn’t have the spec I wanted. Just having a browse on autotrader there’s a 16 plate 2.0d 48500 miles in red with fsh and £5500 of extras including 10” nav looks very competitive at £13500 private seller so may be able to chip down 👍🏻
XE R-Sport 25D AWD, grey, 14 way memory seats/folding mirrors, advanced park, meridian, black pack, privacy, split/folding rear seats.

JAGDH

Post by JAGDH » Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:47 am

That does seem competitive. I’d looked at 2 x diesels R-Sports with reasonable specs a couple months back just under £15K for 2015 w/ 41K and £17K for 2017 w/ 35K. Both were from independent dealers. The 2017 model was just about in the increased 2017 tax band.

That price for private sales feels reasonable to me, if I was the seller I’d not want to chop any more off but most people can be persuaded.

Diesels definitely seen a little cheaper when it comes to the XE at the moment (although when I bought a low-ish mileage for its age Audi A4 couple years back the diesels had actually seemed to hold their price better on that car as the miles went up)

and has never been an issue for me in last couple of cars I do about 300-500 a week in normal times though.
XE 2L Diesel [180] R-Sport (2015/65 Plate/MY16)

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:03 am

TOP TIP If you are buying privately on first contact say "I am phoning about the car for sale" If they answer "which one" it's a dealer. If not make sure you do a full HPI check. Even that can be out of date showing HP outstanding or not recorded. Buy a 3rd party warranty as a precaution against faults if you buy. Make sure you get ALL the relevant documents there and then. Also, the obvious, check it over fully for wear and tear, noises and leaks. New tyres can cost £600+. Take it for a test drive. Preferably take someone with you who knows the model, and can advise.

JAGDH

Post by JAGDH » Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:34 pm

Vespa wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:03 am
TOP TIP If you are buying privately on first contact say "I am phoning about the car for sale" If they answer "which one" it's a dealer. If not make sure you do a full HPI check. Even that can be out of date showing HP outstanding or not recorded. Buy a 3rd party warranty as a precaution against faults if you buy. Make sure you get ALL the relevant documents there and then. Also, the obvious, check it over fully for wear and tear, noises and leaks. New tyres can cost £600+. Take it for a test drive. Preferably take someone with you who knows the model, and can advise.
Great tips, I made sure to push for new brake pads when buying from an independent dealer as I thought were looking legal but rather thin.

The tread looked great on all the tyres, but they still replaced 2 of them on the front axle because 1 of the 4 tyres had an issue with a slight bulge. There are definitely advantages to buying from dealers either main dealer or indepedent when it comes to getting little niggles sorted. They also made sure the AdBlue was topped off and put fresh batteries in the remotes. Small things that don't always cost a lot but good to get boxed off before you get the car from a dealer.

Potential cost savings are the benefit in a private sale because the owner doesn't need to make a profit, just get rid of the car for an acceptable price.
XE 2L Diesel [180] R-Sport (2015/65 Plate/MY16)