Which Petrol engine

New to the Jaguar XE Forums? Introduce yourself here
Scriv

Which Petrol engine

Post by Scriv » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:08 pm

Good Evening All

I'm about to buy my first Jaguar and have decided on a petrol powered XE

Just can't decide whether to go for the 240hp Ford derived engine or the 250hp Ingenium engine

I'd really appreciate any feedback as from what I've read the 240 is a good proven engine but the Ingenium is smoother and more efficient but possibly not as reliable as its still relatively new

Thanks in advance

BruceTheQuail

Re: Which Petrol engine

Post by BruceTheQuail » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:43 pm

I think it depends how you drive. We had the ecoboost engine in our 25T. It is pretty lively but I didnt think the transmission matched it as well as it might - it was always in a gear too high so if you wanted to give it a squirt (say lights were changing) it would have to kick down 2 or 3 gears and you would lose a second or two. Launching it is a bit surgey - builds up momentum and then you find you've gone a bit hard. Driving in dynamic mode gives a better overall experience.

My only other criticism (I actually liked the engine) is that driving hard it sounds like you are annoying a chihuahua, although from the outside it sounds fine.

I thought the ingenium 25T was a better transmission match, though I've only driven them as loaners.
2020 XE P300 HSE R-dynamic in Firenze lotsa goodies incl RWD!
Daily driver - F Type V6 S in IRR with many chav accoutrements, pulley and tune
Gone but still loved - 2016 XE 25T R-sport in IRR

Scriv

Post by Scriv » Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:14 pm

Thanks for the reply, I think I’m generally a fairly smooth driver but do like a burst of power when needed, I have briefly test driven the 200hp Ingenium engine and found it pretty lively and found the gearbox did like to kick down a couple of cogs when I put my foot down.
I guess my main concern is reliability as I’ve read the Diesel does suffer a few niggles and although I’m going down the Petrol route I’d certainly put reliability before efficiency etc hence I would prefer the later engine but would be happy to go for the Ecoboost if the general feedback would suggest it’s a more reliable unit

clivetay33

Post by clivetay33 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:52 pm

Try the S 380hp. I know it will not be a new car but you can pick up a 2017 low mileage one with all the extras. Worth a test drive as a comparison.
Jaguar XE S Indus Silver 380 bhp black pack, cold climate pack 1, 18 way power front seats, memory pack with powerfold mirrors, 19 inch black alloy wheels, panoramic electric sun roof, advanced parking assist pack

Scriv

Post by Scriv » Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:42 am

Now that would be the ultimate!! I’ve seen a main dealer 2016 340hp version for sale which is just in budget and it’s extremely tempting, I think I’ll definitely need to drive it as a comparison but am slightly concerned about running costs. Do you find your 380hp reasonable to run, mpg, servicing etc and reliable?

BruceTheQuail

Post by BruceTheQuail » Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:58 am

Gooday. Just chipping in, not much difference in economy between the ecoboost 4 and the supercharged 6, driven enthusiastically (lol) and mainly around town I was generally at around 10 - 11 litres/100km which is about 27mpg against maybe 30ish for the 25T. Much better on the highway of course.

Scriv

Post by Scriv » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:21 am

Good info cheers, in general do you find the V6 a reliable motor and are they more expensive to service than the Ecoboost?

BruceTheQuail

Post by BruceTheQuail » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:00 am

I found both very reliable. We only put about 20000km on the XE. I have put 35000km on my F Type (with the 380hp 6 boosted to 450hp). I havent had an issue with either. I'm also a bit of a Jag nut, have had 6 so far, and havent had an engine issue with any of them. The diesels are more prone to issues than the petrols. The 6 is possibly more tested than the ingenium 4 as it is a cut down version of the 8 that has been in use since about 2010, and that is pretty much bulletproof.

I just had my F Type serviced, and the cost was quite reasonable, about 400 of your quid.

Scriv

Post by Scriv » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:30 am

BruceTheQuail wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:00 am
I found both very reliable. We only put about 20000km on the XE. I have put 35000km on my F Type (with the 380hp 6 boosted to 450hp). I havent had an issue with either. I'm also a bit of a Jag nut, have had 6 so far, and havent had an engine issue with any of them. The diesels are more prone to issues than the petrols. The 6 is possibly more tested than the ingenium 4 as it is a cut down version of the 8 that has been in use since about 2010, and that is pretty much bulletproof.

I just had my F Type serviced, and the cost was quite reasonable, about 400 of your quid.
The more I read things like this I think why not go for the V6, I currently run a Freelander 2 and that is £400 every year on service and only 30 MPG so I may as well go the whole hog with the XE

Good to hear you've had no issues with your Jag's, it certainly eases my mind

Thanks for your comments they have been really helpful

PusserH

Post by PusserH » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:54 am

Hi Scriv, I bought a 3.0S 380bhp (Jun 18 model) last September, really pleased with it as it's been faultless and a joy to drive. 1st Jag so can't compare with other versions. My fuel consumption is around mid 20's mpg on short journeys and mid to high 30's on long journeys. In Eco and Drive mode it will drive like any other saloon I've had. Floor it and/or select banzai mode and it goes like a rocket, fuel consumption drops accordingly. That said, fuel economy wasn't my main consideration when I bought the car.
MY18 Corris Grey XE 3.0 S. Car number 41454.