Jaguar XE Forum banner

New Jag

5K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  BruceTheQuail 
#1 ·
Good Morning ladies and gentlemen, I've been looking into a new Caldera Red XE R-dynamic SE with Black pack and Black 5 spoke wheels. The trouble I have is it's not possible to have a test drive of any cars until June 12th at the earliest, so my question to you fine people is would you recommend a test drive or would you say the car is that nice to drive that I'd be fine ordering one? I just don't think I can wait til June 12 and 8-12 weeks thereafter for delivery 😂 I require some words of wisdom.

Thanks all

#2 ·
Hi! We have a RWD p300 HSE R Dynamic, Firenze with black pack and black wheels.

Pro's:
Looks fantastic;
transmission is lovely;
plenty of grunt;
interior is beautiful;
ride is sublime on 19's;
tech is very fancy. Some you actually use!
handling is very sharp, once you get your seat in the right position;
dynamically the pick of the class, maybe alfa excepted.

Cons:
squarer front end means more hits to the front bumper going over kerbs;
I thought the non adjustable suspension gave a more connected road feel.

It is a car that loves curves and corners, the harder you attack them, the better it handles.

We optioned ours up a lot, things I wouldnt really bother with are the configurable dynamics (waste of money, occupied my interest for about 45 seconds), the adjustable suspension as I mentioned above, maybe the touch pro duo (though surround sound is fantastic). The HUD is very good.

As for waiting for a test drive, I wouldnt bother. They launched the 2020 XE and the F Pace SVR back to back. Some reviewers were saying that the gloss was off the SVR because as good as it is, the XE was a better handling car. I doubt that you would be disappointed.

#3 ·
In my experience, my 2016 R-Sport (std suspension) is better riding and handling than my 2014 F10 5 series which had adaptive suspension.

I think the driving experience is fantastic, I don't think you'd be disappointed.

Can you not have a go in a friends car? Or hire one for the day from enterprise or similar?

#4 ·
Yeah, I thought the ride in our 2016 R sport with standard suspension was more driver oriented than our 2020 with adaptive. Same wheels, too. But my wife prefers the ride in the 2020 which is absolutely buttery smooth.

#6 ·
My one is the P250 S core model (i.e. not R-Dynamic). I did not have a test drive before buying as no demonstrator was available locally, but I relied on magazine reviews, road tests and this Forum. I've now had the car for just over a year and I'm 100% happy with it in every way. Performance, ride, handling, styling and cabin ambience are top notch to me. You won't be disappointed :) .

#8 ·
imho there is no way you will be disappointed - I used to drive BMW, but the Jag is way better all round. It is a drivers car, and gives you so much enjoyment, and sheer involvement in the driving experience. Just order one and don't look back - except at the jag once it is parked. Lol. :D

Ps Yes I am biased. Lol.

#9 ·
Sorry gents it's practically my first day on this forum so still getting used to it, I'm not sure if I can reply to individuals on here and as I am using my phone I can't tell haha.

I'd just like to say thanks for all the replies so far it's definitely putting my mind at ease and pushing me towards ordering one. Thanks Bruce the quail for the speedy reply I was in work and wasn't expecting one so fast!

And in reply to Jeff123 I am looking to buy the petrol p250

Loving this group gents thanks all who have replied I really appreciate it!

#10 ·
Jakey 97 said:
Sorry gents it's practically my first day on this forum so still getting used to it, I'm not sure if I can reply to individuals on here and as I am using my phone I can't tell haha.

I'd just like to say thanks for all the replies so far it's definitely putting my mind at ease and pushing me towards ordering one. Thanks Bruce the quail for the speedy reply I was in work and wasn't expecting one so fast!

And in reply to Jeff123 I am looking to buy the petrol p250

Loving this group gents thanks all who have replied I really appreciate it!
Whats the reason you can't have a test drive? Don't answer if its personal but cars are available.

Regards John

#11 ·
Have you considered a used one? There are a few on the Jag website. I bought mine at 4 months old an 6k miles. Previously used by one of the sales managers. Absolutely immaculate. Mine is the S spec, but these cars are all pretty well loaded with extras. To be fair, the SE does have some additional extras, but many of them you will never use after the first time trying them out.

#12 ·
Milfordman or John, the dealerships in the UK are not offering test drives because of covid 👍and I've considered used ones however there is not one that takes my fancy, if I'm going to spend money on one of rather have what I want if that makes sense Jeff123.

#13 ·
I bought mine without a test drive as I just wanted one. I had been looking at them for a while and bought it 15 minutes after looking at it. I was offered one but it was rush hour in South London so no point really.
I haven't regretted it as it ticked all my requirements. Great handling, rear wheel drive, petrol, range of around 500 miles and four doors. It also came with almost every extra. Most are useful but some are a bit of a gimmick ie park assist.
If you are tall or have back issues getting in or out could be an issue as the roofline is low and the car sits quite low so ensure you sit in one if thats an issue.
Two minor issues I have relate to the rear, getting in and out is difficult due to roofline and is a bit cramped. The rear door shuts also get filthy very quickly as has been mentioned on here. If you will have regular adults or grown children in the back either of these may be an issue.
My main issue is the JLR main dealership I purchased from. They are dreadful at all levels and couldn't care less about their customers with the exception of the main receptionist who always does her best to help but can't as no one ever answers their phone. I will be using an independent for the next service when the warranty ends.
Test drive a similar car to the spec you want to make sure the car fits then go ahead and order. If you like driving you won't be disappointed.

#14 ·
I bought my first (and second) without a test drive. Don't regret it for a moment, and the first 50 metres of any journey reminds me why :)

If only the dealers could do the car justice!

#15 ·
Oh one thing I forgot - despite having specced pretty much everything I forgot the split fold rear seats and it is a real PITA without them.

#16 ·
Jakey 97 said:
Milfordman or John, the dealerships in the UK are not offering test drives because of covid 👍and I've considered used ones however there is not one that takes my fancy, if I'm going to spend money on one of rather have what I want if that makes sense Jeff123.
Seems strange. I had my car serviced a couple of weeks ago and had a loan car. It was a Jaguar XE a couple of months old with about 3000 mls on it.
It had a notice in it saying it had been covid cleaned and the key was handed to me in a sanitised sealed bag.

Regards John

#17 ·
Jakey 97,

I have a 2019 Caldera Red XE R-Sport P300 AWD 30t with Black Pack. This is basically the exact same vehicle you are looking at except for the "Dynamic" which allows your newer model to customize everything. My R-Sport is limited to pre-determined JLR internal performance software, transmission shift points, and suspension settings associated with selecting "Dynamic" and placing shifter in "Sport".

Since you no longer have a choice of a V6 or V8 in the XE, the P300 2.0L engine imho is your best choice. The car handles like a dream and you can punch it in a corner and never feel like you are losing control. The P300 has great acceleration for most folks. Given I'm in my 50s, I no longer feel the need to have 500+HP V8 muscle car that sacrifices comfort for loudness but still wanted a vehicle that flies when I want it to :) While I understand the need for many folks to go the Diesel route given the fuel costs etc, choosing a Petrol engine (and in this case the top HP Petrol engine) is still the way to go based on reliability and performance. I do NOT baby my P300 XE and still get 25 MPG no matter how hard I drive it. When on long highway speed journeys, my fuel economy rises to about 34 MPG on average.

I love my Jag-g-g which, again, is basically the exact car you're thinking of buying. It literally puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. From my biased point of view after two years of ownership and 22K miles of driving across the Pond in the Northeast USA, I have no hesitation in recommending you just take the plunge and buy it.

Here at some pics to wet your appetite! Note, I had the "R" Emblem added to the Grill afterwards by the Dealer since the 2019 XE had no grille badging for my model year. I also liked the contrast between my XE and a classic Jag I parked next to at a fair last summer. Enjoy!

Attachments

#18 ·
Milfordman said:
Jakey 97 said:
Seems strange. I had my car serviced a couple of weeks ago and had a loan car. It was a Jaguar XE a couple of months old with about 3000 mls on it.
It had a notice in it saying it had been covid cleaned and the key was handed to me in a sanitised sealed bag.

Regards John
Courtesy cars for services seem to depend on the dealer or chain - I got a reminder my service is due from Jaguar Wolverhampton, where it was done last time, and they couldn't provide a courtesy car - "Company policy at the moment, Sir".

So I spoke to Listers in Solihull, and it is booked in now with a courtesy car...

It does seem to depend on where you go.

#19 ·
First Jag-g-g said:
Jakey 97,

I have a 2019 Caldera Red XE R-Sport P300 AWD 30t with Black Pack. This is basically the exact same vehicle you are looking at except for the "Dynamic" which allows your newer model to customize everything. My R-Sport is limited to pre-determined JLR internal performance software, transmission shift points, and suspension settings associated with selecting "Dynamic" and placing shifter in "Sport".

Since you no longer have a choice of a V6 or V8 in the XE, the P300 2.0L engine imho is your best choice. The car handles like a dream and you can punch it in a corner and never feel like you are losing control. The P300 has great acceleration for most folks. Given I'm in my 50s, I no longer feel the need to have 500+HP V8 muscle car that sacrifices comfort for loudness but still wanted a vehicle that flies when I want it to :) While I understand the need for many folks to go the Diesel route given the fuel costs etc, choosing a Petrol engine (and in this case the top HP Petrol engine) is still the way to go based on reliability and performance. I do NOT baby my P300 XE and still get 25 MPG no matter how hard I drive it. When on long highway speed journeys, my fuel economy rises to about 34 MPG on average.

I love my Jag-g-g which, again, is basically the exact car you're thinking of buying. It literally puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. From my biased point of view after two years of ownership and 22K miles of driving across the Pond in the Northeast USA, I have no hesitation in recommending you just take the plunge and buy it.

Here at some pics to wet your appetite! Note, I had the "R" Emblem added to the Grill afterwards by the Dealer since the 2019 XE had no grille badging for my model year. I also liked the contrast between my XE and a classic Jag I parked next to at a fair last summer. Enjoy!
Well I must say that was a great input from yourself thankyou very much I appreciate it! I absolutely love that car it is stunning! Making me even more excited now!! I have been looking at the P250 the extra 6 grand for 50 hp doesn't seem justifiable to me, however it has caught my interest. The thing is I am currently driving a 120hp Peugeot 308 so I imagine the 250 would be enough for one such as me 🤣

#20 ·
The 250 is quite a brisk car and plenty of fun. The 300 performs better than my first XF v8 did (4.2) and pretty much as well as my second XF v8 did (5.0). What I like about the p300 the most is that - for a turbo car - the power delivery is so linear, it behaves the same as a NA v8 and the enhanced soundtrack is throbby, like a little 4 litre v8. So it's not just the extra 50hp and a slightly better 0 - 60 time, but the power delivery and transmission are pretty much a perfect match. Either car will be excellent, the p300 will be excellent-er.

#21 ·
Bruce, isn't your P300 RWD?

From a pure driving perspective, the P250 will probably have the edge, as our P300's are AWD. But the P300 will be quicker, and have more secure grip in all weathers. Everything is relative though, and both versions will not disappoint.

#22 ·
Yep RWD though they only sell AWD here now. You may well be right!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.