Pela 6000 oil pump

All Jaguar XE related discussions
Vespa

Pela 6000 oil pump

Post by Vespa » Thu May 21, 2020 8:17 am

I put this in an old thread and shouldn't have, so if anyone is interested in a quick oil change without the bother of grovelling under the car here it is again just for info that may have been missed.
I used the Pela 6000 yesterday and extracted 6 ltrs of oil. If anyone uses one of these repressurise it regularly as it soon loses sucking pressure. (no hissing heard either, just the way it works) It did take a while but that was possibly my fault. I fitted a new JLR oil filter which is a doddle. On refilling the oil after a very short run was only slightly tinged from old oil residue. Overall a great gadget to do an interim oil change without the fuss of getting the engine under cover off.
180 diesel XE R Sport auto, with many extras :D and working stop/start :lol: Made to work Feb 2019 by me

KJW

Re: Pela 6000 oil pump

Post by KJW » Sat May 23, 2020 9:11 am

Thanks for the info.

I have a Sealey TP696, and have found it great for changing the oil on my Ecoboost engined 25T, so that's another possible option. The trick with these is to get the oil nice and hot first, so do it after a good fast run if possible.

With modern oil specs and if you observe sensible oil change intervals there really shouldn't be any residue in the sump to worry about but you can always do every other oil change the "old fashioned" way for peace of mind.

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Sat May 23, 2020 9:56 am

The Pela makes a point of having the oil warm but not hot as it MAY damage parts. It was a great gadget and the oil must have been completely emptied as after two trips, one 31 miles and the other 26 miles. There is just a feint tinge in basically clean oil. It managed to withdraw 6 ltrs and so after asking on here about whether it was 6 to refill or 6.5, I decided to add 6 Ltrs and that filled it to almost the exact same point on the dipstick as a dealer change last year. From what I have read certain Mercedes and Audi cars only have this method of oil removal as there is no sump plug to remove.
180 diesel XE R Sport auto, with many extras :D and working stop/start :lol: Made to work Feb 2019 by me

Mikeyjd

Post by Mikeyjd » Sat May 23, 2020 7:47 pm

The Land Rover Discovery 4 didn't have a sump drain plug either. I was rather surprised when I read about it.
2018MY R Sport. 25D AWD. Corris Grey - Meridian, Black pack, Parking pack, Folding Rear Seats, plus loads of extras.

BOBCDP

Post by BOBCDP » Sat May 23, 2020 11:37 pm

Vespa wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 9:56 am
The Pela makes a point of having the oil warm but not hot as it MAY damage parts. It was a great gadget and the oil must have been completely emptied as after two trips, one 31 miles and the other 26 miles. There is just a feint tinge in basically clean oil. It managed to withdraw 6 ltrs and so after asking on here about whether it was 6 to refill or 6.5, I decided to add 6 Ltrs and that filled it to almost the exact same point on the dipstick as a dealer change last year. From what I have read certain Mercedes and Audi cars only have this method of oil removal as there is no sump plug to remove.

Did you remove the filter before you drained the oil? I think I read somewhere that when you unscrew the filter, a valve opens which drains the oil back into the sump. So assuming the filter contains about 1/4 to 1/2 litre, if you don't do it that way, you would leave the filter oil in the sump when you refilled it.
The Pela sounds like a great idea if you change oil every year. I normally get the garage to mine, but it would pay for itself on the first oil change.
MY16 2015 R-Sport 180d, Auto, Yulong White,

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Sun May 24, 2020 7:30 am

Yes I removed the oil filter first and heard it drain. There is a small valve at the bottom that is released and it drains off. This is possibly the least messy and easiest oil filter I have ever changed over many cars. It is also surprisingly small. It was a genuine JLR filter at £12.

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Sun May 24, 2020 9:46 am

Vespa, how do you remove the plastic engine cover to gain access to the oil filter? Do you place your hands at the leading edge, and lift it off? I wouldn't want to use excessive force and break a clip or something, but I know you must have removed it a number of times yourself to change the oil filter.
MY20: S P250 RWD in Portofino Blue and Lt Oyster Windsor Lthr Seats with Ebony/Lt Oyster interior; 16-way electric dr mem fr seats; Style 1048 wheels; Gloss Ash Burr Veneer; Heated steering wheel; 380W Meridan System; Spare wheel; Rubber mats

Rob Wright

Post by Rob Wright » Sun May 24, 2020 9:51 am

The engine cover comes off by pulling directly upwards in each corner. There are 4 ball sockets if memory serves me right, but you're unlikely to break anything.
Currently a Caesium Blue 30T Portfolio :D

Previously a Corris grey 25D R-sport.

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Sun May 24, 2020 10:15 am

Yes, just lift it gently at the front and there are indeed 4 ball sockets which it just pops off. Very simple. The oil filter canister requires a small canister removal tool as it it a tight fit. Mine is a 1/2" drive centre piece with an adjustable strap, similar to a thin seat belt. Very easy to use and cushions the metal centre of the tool against the canister holding the filter. The filter drains off as it's released and the actual element just pops out, with a slight pull. Very clean to do with a rag or a pair of protective gloves.

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Sun May 24, 2020 11:39 am

Thank you, Vespa and Rob 😊. I'll retain your advice for future reference.
MY20: S P250 RWD in Portofino Blue and Lt Oyster Windsor Lthr Seats with Ebony/Lt Oyster interior; 16-way electric dr mem fr seats; Style 1048 wheels; Gloss Ash Burr Veneer; Heated steering wheel; 380W Meridan System; Spare wheel; Rubber mats