Stolen :(

All Jaguar XE related discussions
Milfordman

Re: Stolen :(

Post by Milfordman » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:19 pm

Really sorry this has happened to you. I hope they get the scum bags.

I thought keys could not be cloned on the XE. I was told by a dealer some time ago that if both keys were lost you had to have other harware replaced as well to have new keys. He said it was to stop car theft as keys could not be copied. Do I need to get a OBD2 lock?

Regards John
XE PRESTIGE 2.0 i4 200PS. British Racing Green, Latte Leather, Electric Seats, Folding Mirrors, Lumbar Support, Meridian 380W, Satin Burr Ash veneer, Folding Seats, 18" Alloy space saver spare wheel, Configurable mood lighting and Parking Pack.

spritely

Post by spritely » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:33 pm

Very sorry to hear of this, and I hope you get things sorted out. Very concerning that these scumbags were able to take the vehicle so easily. So much for modern security on premium vehicles. Hope the Police catch up with these people, and lock them up, and throw away the keys. Grrrrrrrr.
Corris Grey 180D R sport - loving it.

Stolenjag

Post by Stolenjag » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:00 pm

UV Blue wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:35 am
Oh dear what a wretched business, sorry for you and to hear this, i'm disappointed how easy it was to steal. I would have been sure the incontrol tracker would have worked but the little b*st***s have bypassed it, I think the car for the first few days wasn't far away and will probably have been left to see if a tracker finds it. I'm hust so shocked that a premioum car was so easy to get into. I too keep my key in a 'Faraday' cage but even that is ineffective, which is disappointing.

When I bought my car I took out GAP insurance which would give me back the price as new... it's up in April but I'm thinking I might renew it! It is something worth thinking about when you get your insurance sorted and a new car. Good luck and keep us posted.
The gutting thing is I took out 4 years GAP insurance which expired last April, I wish I had renewed it now

VazH

Post by VazH » Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:28 am

Any updates OP?
MY17 Portfolio 25t Firenze Red, Adaptive Cruise, HUD, Blind Spot, Park Assist, 360 camera, Meridian 825W

Stolenjag

Post by Stolenjag » Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:11 pm

VazH wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:28 am
Any updates OP?
Not much of note unfortunately, posted the keys to the insurance company a couple of days ago which felt very final :(

One thing which may be of interest is the claims handler said in the 4 years she’s been in her job, she’s only dealt with the theft of 3 Jaguars....all within the last 4 or 5 weeks!

Going to look at an E-Pace on Sunday

Geoffscat

Post by Geoffscat » Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:30 pm

I'm sorry to read this thread. I hope it is resolved in one way or another soon .

It is a shame that modern cars don't have rotor arms anymore as that used to be a simple way of disabling a vehicle .

Stolenjag

Post by Stolenjag » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:52 pm

Update

The app has updated tonight! No location data however. The odometer has increased by 10 miles & they have put fuel in

The app shows a supposed 46 hour trip from Wednesday evening until tonight, with a distance of 1 mile 🤔

Kaikoura

Post by Kaikoura » Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:48 am

Although the locator is disabled there is still connectivity with the vehicle. You would think therefore that someone would be able to find it.
Richard Green

I know what's wrong and if I could find it I'd fix it.

2016 XE R-Sport - HJ16XES (Cat); 2004 XKR convertible - RG04XKR (Animal); 1975 Triumph TR6 - HPR30N (Rob)

First Jag-g-g

Post by First Jag-g-g » Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:24 pm

Oofah!

Stolen cars parked in a suburban/urban setting brings back memories of my 1984 Monte Carlo SS which was broken into no less than FIVE times! during my span of ownership. I had the Krook Lock thing but that is easy to defeat at the expense of your steering wheel creating an even larger insurance repair bill.

The security feature that saved me each time was a hidden ignition kill switch. While many install this type of mechanism, they usually do so via an open circuit (i.e. no electric juice to the distributor or plugs). Unfortunately, this tips off the would be thieves who then just search for such a switch and usually find it in short order. I took the added step of an inline bypass switch that grounds out the distributor. The car tries to start when the thieves attempt to make their get-away but since there isn't the right type of electronic juice getting to the plugs, the engine doesn't start and the car still sits. The bad part of this latter solution is you need a major resistance/heat dissipating design and install since you're basically grounding the battery through the distributor. Yes, if you're an Electrical Engineer, you're saying to yourself this will fry/melt your distributor. You are correct ... but the cost of a new distributor and replacement of the resistor load in the kill switch circuit is way-y-y less expensive and troublesome that having your car actually stolen and physically driven away.

How installation of such a kill switch feature on a modern Jag would work (if at all), I have no clue but it might be something to look into if you get your vehicle back mostly unharmed.

One additional thought regarding the GPS Jammer mention above. GPS Jammers are highly illegal but we know these are criminals who don't care since they are already committing a crime. But (at least here in the USA) activating a GPS Jammer is not just a Criminal act (like stealing a car) but a FEDERAL Criminal act that will get you beaucoup mandatory jail time in a Federal Penitentiary with people who are undoubtedly way more nasty than a common car thief. This would make an interesting situation for the scum that stole your Jag. By the way, GPS Jamming is relatively easy to detect and triangulate (https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... +detection) so the UK authorities (if they were on top of their game) should easily be able to track and locate the source of the Jammer and hopefully your car.

I am truly sorry you're having to deal with the loss of your Jag and the violation of your otherwise peaceful life. Sending you positive thoughts from across the Pond.
2019 Jaguar XE R-Sport 30t AWD, Caldera Red, Ebony/Ebony Interior, Comfort & Convenience, Black Pack, 19" Black Rims, Smart Phone Pack