XE R Sport - Petrol or Diesel?

All Jaguar XE related discussions
pauljobr

Re: XE R Sport - Petrol or Diesel?

Post by pauljobr » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:26 pm

I bought a diesel because I was doing 17,000 miles a year and it made sense, by the time I am ready to replace mine I can see I will be doing less mileage 10-12,000 so will look at whatever they have then. Most likely petrol or maybe hybrid depending on costs.
I would like to think they may put the 2.0 i4 300 engine with electric as they are going to offer in the Range Rover, comes in around 400 horses :).
R-Sport 180 Auto, Ultimate Black, Jet / Light Oyster, Meridian Audio, Power Fold Mirrors, Satin Ash veneer, Radiance Alloys, Black Pack.

Domfow

Post by Domfow » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:30 pm

Vehicle Excise Duty may well go up on Diesels in the Budget to deter purchase. As I do 86 miles per day to work, petrol is not an option, however, I'm interested in the Hybrid XE when it's launched, when I come to replace my current car. My PCP deal gives me a good Guaranteed Future Value (GFV) payment to carry onto my next vehicle. However if I was to take a PCP deal out now on a new diesel XE, I'd be interested in the GFV offered after 3 years it will probably be awful.
This happened to me on the X Type, I had a 2003 and 2006 2.5 V6 Sport, identical cars, same PCP mileage deal similiar RRP, the 2006 GFV was £3,000 less, due to 2 main reasons:-
1. Jaguar had under estimated the depreciation on X Types. (Might have on XE?)
2. Petrol had gone out of favour replaced by Diesel (sounds a familiar story just reversed)
Jaguar XE Portfolio 163ps manual Bluefire with Oyster leather, extras: xenon, reverse camera, heated screen, upgrade matts, dim mirrors

kiseca

Post by kiseca » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:15 pm

I'd have a look at the annual costs too. I'm pretty sure that when I was looking at them, the diesel's more expensive purchase price was more than offset by cheaper annual tax, and also if I recall a longer service interval?

That was before the tax laws changed this April, but I'm pretty sure that the petrol has a service at year 1 and the diesel does not.

Despite that I went for the petrol.
XE Petrol 240 Portfolio in free black

MouseGB

Post by MouseGB » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:22 pm

30,000 a year. Gone back to petrol as I think it’ll give a better drive with the ZF auto gearbox
67 plate R-Sport 200ps Auto in Corris Grey , Meridian sound, additional power sockets & de-badged.

lexie

Post by lexie » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:12 pm

My 200ps R-Sport (non-ingenium engine) has averaged 34mpg consistently over the last 2 years of mixed driving. A long motorway trip will see this rise to 37mpg even with quite high average speeds. I chose petrol for the same reason as you mention, in that the difference in the purchase price or monthly cost buys quite a bit of fuel. By my calculations the £50 per month difference, based on petrol at 33mpg and diesel at 45mpg, equates to circa 1300 miles a month break even. i.e. you need to be doing more than 1300 miles per month before the £50 doesn't cover the extra fuel cost of the petrol engine at current prices.
R-Sport 200ps Ammonite grey, parking pack, split fold rear seats, space saver, 14 way seats

CaptainNoddy

Post by CaptainNoddy » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:35 pm

lexie wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:12 pm
My 200ps R-Sport (non-ingenium engine) has averaged 34mpg consistently over the last 2 years of mixed driving. A long motorway trip will see this rise to 37mpg even with quite high average speeds. I chose petrol for the same reason as you mention, in that the difference in the purchase price or monthly cost buys quite a bit of fuel. By my calculations the £50 per month difference, based on petrol at 33mpg and diesel at 45mpg, equates to circa 1300 miles a month break even. i.e. you need to be doing more than 1300 miles per month before the £50 doesn't cover the extra fuel cost of the petrol engine at current prices.
Realworld diesel XE's are getting way better than 45mpg though. I have 2,500 miles on my car now at 56 mpg average with mostly motorway driving. R route speeds here (somewhere around 45-50mph) would give me 60 or more....
MY16 XE 2.0 D AUTO 163PS, Ammonite Grey, Cold Climate Pack, Parking Pack, 10 way Seats, Xenon headlights

Domfow

Post by Domfow » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:36 am

CaptainNoddy wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:35 pm
lexie wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:12 pm
Realworld diesel XE's are getting way better than 45mpg though. I have 2,500 miles on my car now at 56 mpg average with mostly motorway driving. R route speeds here (somewhere around 45-50mph) would give me 60 or more....
After 28,000 miles and I record every mile on a spreadsheet, my overall average is 54 mpg, in Summer rises to 56-57 and last winter dropped to 51-52. highest trip 44 miles at 70.8 mpg, no petrol comes close, but wait to see what the Hybrid will do
Jaguar XE Portfolio 163ps manual Bluefire with Oyster leather, extras: xenon, reverse camera, heated screen, upgrade matts, dim mirrors

ColinR

Post by ColinR » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:51 am

I have to admit I cannot understand the obsession with getting a many mpgs as possible. We all own one of the best sporty saloons on the market, this thread is about pros and cons of the R-Sport which is supposed to be the sporty version of a sports saloon yet people want to ignore the sporty pleasure of the car . I own a Jaguar because it looks great and drives like a dream. I have no idea what my mpg is, I'm too busy enjoying myself.

Dynamic mode all the way for me 8-)

I'm not having a go but I just can't understand it.

CaptainNoddy

Post by CaptainNoddy » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:42 pm

Actually ColinR the sporty R Sport is not just about power. I love it for the ride and chassis handling and you don't need to be pushing the limit at all for that. And don't forget you can go around corners fast even with a lawnmower engine in the front! It's just takes longer to get up to speed!!

MPG is far from an obsession for most of us I think too. But my conservative estimate is 6k saved versus petrol over my expected ownership period - that's no small change.

My personal feeling - and it is just mine I think - is that for my daily car a heap of horsepower would be a complete waste of money. Any average driver will only ever get a few seconds worth of performance out of it at a time at best before you risk fines or other peoples lives. I see no point in spending more to buy and more to run a car that will almost never be allowed see it's full potential. All I want is a car that has enough power to be safe in practically all possible situations - and my 163PS does just that. In fact under normal conditions I probably rarely use more than 110 of the horses at any given time.

If money was no object, or if I was planning on taking my car to the track, then I would in an XES in an instant! But at the moment for me that would be akin to buying a cherry picker to clean the gutters on my bungalow, a petrol driven steam cleaner to do the dishes, or a lighthouse bulb to light the understairs closet. It's just much more than I need or will ever get to use properly!

So given all that, why not get an engine that avoids frequent visits to petrol stations? And that saves me enough cash to keep my next car in the upper tier of the market too? If I am to spend the majority of my driving life bumbling about at 70mph on a Motorway, why would I need to burn twice as much money for the same experience?
MY16 XE 2.0 D AUTO 163PS, Ammonite Grey, Cold Climate Pack, Parking Pack, 10 way Seats, Xenon headlights

foxy66

Post by foxy66 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:01 am

Hi Captain Noddy,
I am totally with you on this one. :D :D :D :D :D
2015 Jaguar XE R Sport(180) Auto in Rhodium Silver, Jet Leather, Cold Climate Pack, Rear view Camera, Front facing Camera, Electric 10 x 10 way front seats, WiFi Hotspot.

Return to “Main Jaguar XE chat”